Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  53
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Jack Macrae

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jack Macrae

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I agree. The most influential player on the ground is always nearly going to come from the winning team. They won by having more influential players on the ground. It goes to show how unbelievable Templeton's Brownlow win in 1980 was. He was a key forward (a KPF had never won it before) and his team won 5 games! He was a freak.
    Back in the 70s and 80s a much more diverse range of players won the Brownlow. Key forwards (Templeton, Quinlan, Lockett), Defenders (Hardie, Murray, Glendinning), Wingers (Dipper, Greig twice), Rucks (Wynd, Dempsey, Moss, Thompson etc) and onballers (Libba, Platten, Williams, Wilson etc).

These days it's a lock that a mid will win. Ever since umpires votes were revealled on a match by match basis, and scrutiny has increased, their votes have become a lot more safe/stat based.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Back in the 70s and 80s a much more diverse range of players won the Brownlow. Key forwards (Templeton, Quinlan, Lockett), Defenders (Hardie, Murray, Glendinning), Wingers (Dipper, Greig twice), Rucks (Wynd, Dempsey, Moss, Thompson etc) and onballers (Libba, Platten, Williams, Wilson etc).

These days it's a lock that a mid will win. Ever since umpires votes were revealled on a match by match basis, and scrutiny has increased, their votes have become a lot more safe/stat based.
    You know I could easily live without knowing who the umpires voted for. I couldn't care less who voted for what and strictly speaking it's none of my business. Then again if the umpires awarded all six votes to opposition players and we won by 100 points you'd want to have some of what they were on. I wonder what the maximum number of votes awarded to a team that lost is? Has a team that lost ever got all six votes?

Back in the day when they had those big boards on stage and the captains awkwardly shuffling around and putting the votes up on them it was a different way that they announced the votes wasn't it? They read out all the one votes first, then the twos and then the threes, did we have access to which umpire voted for whom back then? I guess they changed it in the '80s sometime. And you're right it's when the Brownlow went from being the best player to the best midfielder in the comp.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post

The umpires also now give the 3 votes almost exclusively to the most high profile midfielder who played well on the day, knowing the impact it has on Brownlow night. If a Dangerfield/Fyfe/Martin plays well the get the 3, not the 2 or the 1, always the 3. Even when there was a player or two who were better on the day, the 3 now always goes to the high profile player. That's why to win now a player needs to poll 30-36 votes to win, where as 20-25 would often be enough.

Basically it's;

10-12 excellent games a year= 10-12 3 vote games= 30-36 votes. No twos or ones for good games.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

4. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll be in the minority, and say that the umpires are not way off base in reflecting how the game is played now. It is a midfielders dominated game these days, with every player following the play from one end to the other, and the midfielders who can win clearances, gather big numbers and also hit the scoreboard - having the biggest impact on the result. It is how the game is played, and how it is coached.

Dusty had 11 3 vote games last season. And to be honest, are many or any, of these 3-vote performances in dispute.

Its possible that the premier players in the competition have never been more dominant than they are right now. And the best players usually play on ball - no matter what size they are.

6. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Brownlow lost all credibility and relativity the year Shane Woewodin won it.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

8. Likes bornadog, Twodogs, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    The Brownlow lost all credibility and relativity the year Shane Woewodin won it.
    I'm not so sure - he was very good that year (he was no Scott West though).
    97 was a far bigger travesty, and Grant was desperately unlucky in 98 too.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I'm not so sure - he was very good that year (he was no Scott West though).
    97 was a far bigger travesty, and Grant was desperately unlucky in 98 too.
    Grant could have won it, or drawn for first in 1996. The last game of the year he got 2 votes and Hird 3 only because they won.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Grant could have won it, or drawn for first in 1996. The last game of the year he got 2 votes and Hird 3 only because they won.
    What an awesome contest it was that night. I remember Hird and Grant slugging it out in contest after contest of highest quality. Just looked up the stats, Hird had 30 touches 13 marks, Grant had 24, 8 marks. I remember on the night thinking they totally matched each other, but hard to argue with Hird getting the nod.

Grant did miss the Brownlow by 1 vote, playing CHB in a team that won 5 games, amazing performance.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the stats sheet.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...istics?mid=528

Grant with two could have been given the chocolates.

What really stands out is the hit outs and tackle count.........different game all together (cue Flying High response in unison).
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Here's the stats sheet.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...istics?mid=528

Grant with two could have been given the chocolates.

What really stands out is the hit outs and tackle count.........different game all together (cue Flying High response in unison).
    I love that Chris kicks two from CHB and holds his opponent to none.

It was Steve Wallis's last match. Terry Wallace grabs him at 3/4 as the group is breaking up and asks them to win for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The Brownlow has turned into a bit of a farce, with players only getting three votes if their team wins. That is just bullshit. The brownlow is an individual award, and should be the best and fairest on the ground, not based on what his team mates did.
    Agree. If that was the case in years gone by Bobby Skilton wouldn't have won 3 as South were mostly down the bottom end of the ladder.

16. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Agree. If that was the case in years gone by Bobby Skilton wouldn't have won 3 as South were mostly down the bottom end of the ladder.
    He played one final in his entire career in 1970 and Norm Smith wanted to drop him from that. Skilton was no sure thing to be selected.

I remember him going up to collect one of his Brownlows with two black eyes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    It's 4 days from Round 1 and Jack Macrae's 100th game and I have not seen or heard of anything celebrating this all week, other than Bob's article on the club website.

It's Jack's career in a nutshell. He just goes about his job every week, unnoticed but hardly unappreciated by the Bulldog faithful. His last 40 games have been consistently good (some great) and his ability to work his team mates into the game is magical.

Congratulations Jack. Looking forward to many more games for the 'Dogs.
    Has become an A Grader this year and starting to get noticed. He is a ball magnet:

Some stats

Players with 30 plus disposals in 2018

1x: 42 players
    2x: 16 players
    3x: 17 players
    4x: 5 players
    5x: 7 players
    6x: 6 players
    7x: 6 players
    8x: 3 players
    9x: 2 players
    10x: 3 players
    11x: L Neale C Oliver
    12x: M Crouch A Gaff T Mitchell R Laird
    13x: JACK MACRAE
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

19. Thanks The bulldog tragician, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra, Rocket Science, jeemak, Smads57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jacko's one of those players that continually makes you feel grateful - and being a Dogs' supporter, oddly undeserving - we've got him.

It's curious, the lather over Tom Mitchell's exploits compared to the lack thereof with Macrae's.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Jacko's one of those players that continually makes you feel grateful - and being a Dogs' supporter, oddly undeserving - we've got him.

It's curious, the lather over Tom Mitchell's exploits compared to the lack thereof with Macrae's.

Jack doesn't elbow opponents to the head so obviously doesn't want to win as much. Probably isn't a good bloke like Mitchell either.

22. Likes Go_Dogs liked this post