Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  21
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Club statement: Katie Brennan

Link

Three principles have been of paramount importance to Katie Brennan and the Western Bulldogs following the suspension of Katie by the AFL tribunal on Tuesday night:

to fight the injustice and inequality to women which afflicts the AFL rules;
    • to give the team the best possible chance of winning Saturday’s Grand final;
    • to do her best to make herself available to assist on field with pursuing that success.
    After the rejection of her appeal by the AFL Appeals Board on Thursday, Katie spent several hours with Club senior management discussing her options.

The AFL yesterday submitted to the Appeals Board that if Katie challenged the discriminatory nature of the AFLW rules, Katie should take that claim to an external court.

In preparation for this, Katie’s legal team served draft documents on the AFL for a Federal Court challenge to her suspension, and a separate challenge against the AFL to the Australian Human Rights Commission.

After lengthy consideration, Katie has decided that in the best interests of the team on Saturday it is best to resolve the matter by not seeking to pursue the Federal Court application.

She will not play in Saturday’s Grand Final but will instead strongly support the team tomorrow from the sidelines.

However, both she and the Club remain resolved to right the injustice and gender discrimination which is inherent to the current AFL Rules.

Accordingly, Katie has this morning filed proceedings with the Australian Human Rights Commission seeking to have her suspension overturned and for the AFL to amend the differences between the AFLW regulations and the AFL regulations to ensure that in future, other women players are not more likely to be suspended than men for identical conduct with identical disciplinary records.

To be clear, Katie is not seeking to play tomorrow. She wants her suspension overturned in time in the interests of justice, and the rules changed to make sure what happened to her does not happen to anyone else.

“I believe my tackle on Harriet Cordner was reasonable and I strongly disagree with the guilty finding,” Katie said.

“It is even more troubling to know that if I was a man playing in the AFL and was reported for the identical tackle, I would not have been suspended and I would be playing in a Grand final tomorrow.

“The fight for gender equality is as every bit as important to me as the Grand Final and the decisions I have made reflect both of those priorities.”

Club CEO Ameet Bains said: “We are immensely proud of Katie and stand by her. Our team will be doing its best to re-pay her faith in them tomorrow.

“We share Katie’s view that her suspension was wrong and we will fully support her challenging the AFL Rules on the basis of gender discrimination.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Club statement: Katie Brennan

Given the rules were in place prior to the start of the season why didn't we challenge them then?

3. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes Ozza, SlimPickens liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

She and the Club are right to further challenge the decision, equality means the same rules for all, men and women. The AFL match review committee was a basket case of bewildering decisions last year and the trend has continued. Reminds me of Chris Grant being robbed of the Brownlow.

5. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

“I believe my tackle on Harriet Cordner was reasonable and I strongly disagree with the guilty finding,” Katie said.
    Are AFL players allowed to come out swinging like that in the media against a tribunal decision?

I think some of the women's players are cherry picking the terms of their equality.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

7. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Given the rules were in place prior to the start of the season why didn't we challenge them then?
    Still doesn't mean the decision was correct.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Still doesn't mean the decision was correct.
    It doesn't, but if anyone bothered to read the rules when they were set they could've raised it with the powers that be and had them re-aligned.

I'm pretty embarrased by this course of action... they have a GF to win and that's where the focus needs to be.

10. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't, but if anyone bothered to read the rules when they were set they could've raised it with the powers that be and had them re-aligned.

I'm pretty embarrased by this course of action... they have a GF to win and that's where the focus needs to be.
    Why is it embarrassing?

Why should we just roll over and say "Too bad, so sad"?

Why shouldn't this be challenged as far as it can go?

How do we know these concerns weren't raised privately with the AFL?

Why aren't the rest of the playing group capable of focusing on a Grand Final?

12. Likes bornadog, chef, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The club was willing to go to Court but Katie agreed it wasn't worth it and will not play, however, she will lodge a formal sex discrimination complaint against the AFL with the Australian Human Rights Commission. The club will back her.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Why is it embarrassing?

By moaning about it publicly? So, from now on, every player who believes a wrong decision has been made in the AFWL during the season is going to have a press conference about it?
    It's extremely childish and embarrassing. If you don't like the rules don't play the game, as Mantis says.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Why is it embarrassing?
    The club made an absolute balls up of the defence of this case at the tribunal and have been behind the 8-ball since.

This on the back of several other poorly handled matters has our public image extremely low which is a long way from where it was on Oct 1 2016.

Taking this to the Human Right's Commission seems a few steps too far for me... Whilst the rules probably need to be aligned more closely we are talking about a completely different competition here which already has several different rules .eg. ball size, number of players on the field, game time, last touch rule, etc... Do we change all of them too?

I'm sure we would've heard about it if it had.

They probably are... but all media focus has been on this case when we shoud be celebrating the fact we are in a GF.

16. Thanks Ozza thanked for this post
    Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The club made an absolute balls up of the defence of this case at the tribunal and have been behind the 8-ball since. .
    How do you know this? Don't tell me, you read it in the media.

The club argued what they went there to argue ie the charge was incorrect and the tackle was not a sling tackle.

The tribunal wouldn't have that, so they had to find a new tact.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    It's extremely childish and embarrassing. If you don't like the rules don't play the game, as Mantis says.
    is this a joke post, what is embarrassing??????

I am sure you can both agree, the penalty is extremely harsh for a tackle - 2 matches.

I am proud of the club for putting up a stance against these morons in their Ivory tower who refuse to budge on anything unless it suits them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    How do you know this? Don't tell me, you read it in the media.

The club argued what they went there to argue ie the charge was incorrect and the tackle was not a sling tackle.

The tribunal wouldn't have that, so they had to find a new tact.

is this a joke post, what is embarrassing??????

I am sure you can both agree, the penalty is extremely harsh for a tackle - 2 matches.

I am proud of the club for putting up a stance against these morons in their Ivory tower who refuse to budge on anything unless it suits them.
    She's not protesting the ban. She's arguing against the difference between rules in men's comp and women's. Which is inherently different. The competition is just starting! What can we expect. There's going to be a lot of injuries and semi professionals. The league has to protect them. It's not like men's yet where you grow up playing the sport, getting your body adjusted to it. Anyway she's got priors hasn't she? Isn't that part of the decision?
    I don't have to agree with everything the club says or does do I?

Post Thanks / Like

She's not protesting the ban. She's arguing against the difference between rules in men's comp and women's. Which is inherently different.
    Missing a Grand Final due to two reprimands both for tackles. I don't know about the first tackle but the 2nd one looked ok to me. It's the penalties that are being argued - in the mens, you get a fine of around $1000, the women's you lose a match, in this case 2 matches due to an appeal. It is a total mokery. Both games are AFL.

I don't have to agree with everything the club says or does do I? Or are we going back to the days of Chops....etc
    No you don't have to agree with everything, but I asked you why is it childish and an embarrassment?

Post Thanks / Like

The club made an absolute balls up of the defence of this case at the tribunal and have been behind the 8-ball since.

This on the back of several other poorly handled matters has our public image extremely low which is a long way from where it was on Oct 1 2016.

Taking this to the Human Right's Commission seems a few steps too far for me... Whilst the rules probably need to be aligned more closely we are talking about a completely different competition here which already has several different rules .eg. ball size, number of players on the field, game time, last touch rule, etc... Do we change all of them too?

I'm sure we would've heard about it if it had.

They probably are... but all media focus has been on this case when we shoud be celebrating the fact we are in a GF.
    I'm glad you pointed this out, because it only supports what Katie and the club are doing.

The women's league has had to put up with enough 'compromises' simply to get a league started. Now they're being told that they're not going to be treated the same at the tribunal.

And the idea that we should say nothing because we're in a Grand Final is absurd.

As others have pointed out elsewhere, Andrew Dunkley and Barry Hall played in grand finals because they went to court to challenge tribunal suspensions. Katie is doing less than that, and yet she's still the bad guy. The criticism levelled at her has hovered between comical and bloody minded all week.

Katie and the club both have my backing.

By moaning about it publicly? So, from now on, every player who believes a wrong decision has been made in the AFWL during the season is going to have a press conference about it?
    So just to be clear, the women should put up with a different set of rules and simply be grateful for the opportunity to play?

And yes, I am putting words in your mouth and I make no apology for it.

21. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Isn't it true that AFL players are not permitted to be critical of umpiring decisions and tribunal decisions in the media? Or are umpiring decisions and tribunal decisions allowed to be openly refuted by individual players in the media with AFWL?

Example; in AFL, if player x gets done for a tackle, and will therefore miss a grand final, comes out and say he disagrees with the decision at a press conference before the final, well, AFL house would have none of it. Is this just a precedent for AFWL? By the way the defence argued she should not miss the final because Bob Murphy missed a final too. What, are we still trying to be, the club people feel sorry for?

I was taught in sport you respect the official and get on with the game. 'Fight injustice' can also look a bit like spitting the dummy.
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 23-03-2018 at 08:14 PM.