Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  21
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Club statement: Katie Brennan

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    I'm glad you pointed this out, because it only supports what Katie and the club are doing.

The women's league has had to put up with enough 'compromises' simply to get a league started. Now they're being told that they're not going to be treated the same at the tribunal.

And the idea that we should say nothing because we're in a Grand Final is absurd.

As others have pointed out elsewhere, Andrew Dunkley and Barry Hall played in grand finals because they went to court to challenge tribunal suspensions. Katie is doing less than that, and yet she's still the bad guy. The criticism levelled at her has hovered between comical and bloody minded all week.

Katie and the club both have my backing.

So just to be clear, the women should put up with a different set of rules and simply be grateful for the opportunity to play?

And yes, I am putting words in your mouth and I make no apology for it.
    It takes time to set up a competition and umpires and officials deserve a bit of respect too, otherwise we cannot get young umpires and officials. Yes, hopefully over time women play football from a young age, are paid the same or as close as possible and have the same opportunities, but it takes time. They cannot kick as far, have not had the chance to condition their bodies as much, so the league is trying to develop a game to suit the woman. Would you like to have exactly the same rules for AFLW at this point? Have you taken note of the extremely high number of serious knee issues in the AFLW of late?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I'm fully behind her taking this further. Stuff the officials, when they are so very clearly incompetent, I'm all for it being made public. If it was 50-50, sure, cop it on the chin. This was clearly and obviously wrong. Very wrong.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

3. Likes bornadog, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we are a better side without her. Considering the rain that is forecast a smaller forward line is a better choice for the day. The skills of aflw rightly or wrongly isn't at a professional level yet so the ball will be on the ground most of the game so get the mosquito fleet in there and get the scrappy goals and win it. It could be a blessing in disguise

Post Thanks / Like

This is no longer about Katie Brennan. It is about holding the AFL to account for having disciplinary rules that discriminate based on gender, so that next time an AFLW player is reprimanded twice in one season they receive a punishment that is consistent with their male brethren.
    Footscray member since 1980.

6. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Consistency is vital in regards to the MRP.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like a textbook case of discrimination based on gender. Katie is right to take it to the Human Rights Commission.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    It takes time to set up a competition and umpires and officials deserve a bit of respect too, otherwise we cannot get young umpires and officials. Yes, hopefully over time women play football from a young age, are paid the same or as close as possible and have the same opportunities, but it takes time. They cannot kick as far, have not had the chance to condition their bodies as much, so the league is trying to develop a game to suit the woman. Would you like to have exactly the same rules for AFLW at this point? Have you taken note of the extremely high number of serious knee issues in the AFLW of late?
    So until the league is more professional, the men can get away with more than the women and you're fine with that?

10. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

“I believe my tackle on Harriet Cordner was reasonable and I strongly disagree with the guilty finding,” Katie said.
    Are AFL players allowed to come out swinging like that in the media against a tribunal decision?

I think some of the women's players are cherry picking the terms of their equality.
    Good on her, it was a crap decision and she doesn't have to accept it all. Just the outcome. Which she has. Wish more people called it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    This is no longer about Katie Brennan. It is about holding the AFL to account for having disciplinary rules that discriminate based on gender, so that next time an AFLW player is reprimanded twice in one season they receive a punishment that is consistent with their male brethren.
    I have posted my thoughts on the reprimand system elsewhere but I don't see why giving the girls just 2 chances vs 3 in the mens i s discriminatory when they play 7 game and 22 game seasons respectively. At the rate Brennan has collected reprimands she would have been rubbed out twice in the mens comp, and that's not even taking into account she has actually missed most of the AFLW season.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

13. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

“I believe my tackle on Harriet Cordner was reasonable and I strongly disagree with the guilty finding,” Katie said.
    Are AFL players allowed to come out swinging like that in the media against a tribunal decision?

I think some of the women's players are cherry picking the terms of their equality.
    What are they going to do? Fine her? Suspend her twice?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    What are they going to do? Fine her? Suspend her twice?

Whatever the punishment is you can bet it won't be the same as a bloke would have got.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It looks like a textbook case of discrimination based on gender. Katie is right to take it to the Human Rights Commission.
    I'm not disagreeing with this but playing devil's advocate, what if a male tennis player lodged the same complaint because he has to play best of 5 sets instead of best of 3 sets for the same prize money as women?

Our hardline stance has only been taken because we failed miserably in our first tribunal hearing. A more pathetic, inept performance I haven't seen, and as others have pointed out we have a long list of poorly handled off-field issues the last couple of years

I don't mind our hardline stance with the media but we must acknowledge that we've been the architects of our own issues more often than not. And frankly we need to lift our off-field game significantly, from the top down.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I'm not disagreeing with this but playing devil's advocate, what if a male tennis player lodged the same complaint because he has to play best of 5 sets instead of best of 3 sets for the same prize money as women?

Our hardline stance has only been taken because we failed miserably in our first tribunal hearing. A more pathetic, inept performance I haven't seen, and as others have pointed out we have a long list of poorly handled off-field issues the last couple of years

I don't mind our hardline stance with the media but we must acknowledge that we've been the architects of our own issues more often than not. And frankly we need to lift our off-field game significantly, from the top down.

Mate. Don't get me started on the differences in male and female tennis! And I don't even like tennis.

Yeah, we haven't been in great form with our decision making for a while. We have made some very odd choices.

Post Thanks / Like

The unfortunate biproduct of this whole sorry saga is that while we should be talking about the GF we are having to talk about discrimination.

That is not Katie Brennan’s fault. Bornadog, Westdog and others have pointed out that the systems/procedures in place are flawed and discriminatory. That a group of people intrusted to take care of the women’s game have really dropped the ball is desperately disappointing. It is a depressing reminder that things still have a long way to go.

The worst part is the misogyny in the AFL community, which has only occasionally reared its head, was only hidden and has floated aggressively to the surface in the past week.

Maybe this is the incident we had to have. Maybe this will be the incident that rattles the cages that need to be rattled and forces them to have the conversations that be need to had. Oh, and they change the idiotic mrp rules.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    The unfortunate biproduct of this whole sorry saga is that while we should be talking about the GF we are having to talk about discrimination.

That is not Katie Brennan’s fault. Bornadog, Westdog and others have pointed out that the systems/procedures in place are flawed and discriminatory. That a group of people intrusted to take care of the women’s game have really dropped the ball is desperately disappointing. It is a depressing reminder that things still have a long way to go.

The worst part is the misogyny in the AFL community, which has only occasionally reared its head, was only hidden and has floated aggressively to the surface in the past week.

Maybe this is the incident we had to have. Maybe this will be the incident that rattles the cages that need to be rattled and forces them to have the conversations that need to had. Oh, and they change the idiotic mrp rules.
    Terrific summation, but if we're being honest none of this would have happened had we been remotely competent in the basic task of defending Katie on Tuesday night. What we presented to the tribunal that evening rightfully made us a laughing stock, and should have resulted in the sacking of any key personnel who signed off on such a shambolic defence strategy.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"