Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  33
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Game Day Round 1, 2018 - GWS Giants V Western Bulldogs at UNSW Canberra Oval

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    A win is a win, at least were winning.
    There was not one win last year that did not come without significant patches of poor performance. The win loss masked over a lot of issues. My worry is that nothing in the off season has addressed our most pressing issues.

Our list this year is not as good as last year's. That is a problem as last year's was underwhelming.

2. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Game Day Round 1, 2018 - GWS Giants V Western Bulldogs at UNSW Canberra Oval

Transported back to the B-Mac years.. *!*!*!*!ing disgusting.

Had all pre-season to work on our game plan and we serve up that tripe... thought we’d kick 8 goals , but only got 7.. I suck!

4. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A win is a win, at least were winning.
    Yes it is a results driven game. We keep winning and will go places. Doesn't matter by how much although always good to win by more.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    There was not one win last year that did not come without significant patches of poor performance. The win loss masked over a lot of issues. My worry is that nothing in the off season has addressed our most pressing issues.

Our list this year is not as good as last year's. That is a problem as last year's was underwhelming.
    I really don't want to argue last year, my point is a win on the board is a win - you can pick holes in lots of wins

However, I am not prepared to throw the baby with the bath water. Bevo is an exceptional person and coach. I agree the Wood experiment is not working, but appaude him for trying something different.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't want to argue last year, my point is a win on the board is a win - you can pick holes in lots of wins

However, I am not prepared to throw the baby with the bath water. Bevo is an exceptional person and coach. I agree the Wood experiment is not working, but appaude him for trying something different.
    Why try something different first up?

You would think playing to your strengths would be the best way to start tge season, if things arent working then you should try something different.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t wish to plead poor but here is a difference between the top clubs like Geelong and ours.

Libba comes back from a season ending injury and does his ACL.....again. We’re told he’s unlucky and there are millimetres in the incident. Selwood twists his knee in an incident but looks like he has been lucky to escape too anything serious......maybe a medial injury at worst. Footy gods at their worst. Apparently Selwood is tough.......suggesting he is tougher than Libba.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Why try something different first up?

You would think playing to your strengths would be the best way to start tge season, if things arent working then you should try something different.
    We didn't kick enough goals last year in matches. I don't agree with it but at least we are trying to do something about a deficiency.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    I don’t to plead poor but here is the difference between the top clubs like Geelong and ours.

Libba comes back from a season ending injury and does his ACL.....again. We’re told he’s unlucky and there are millimetres in the incident. Selwood twists his knee in an incident but looks like he has been lucky to escape too anything serious......maybe a medial injury at worst. Footy gods at their worst. Apparently Selwood is tough.......suggesting he is tougher than Libba.
    An ACL is so unlucky - feel so sorry for Libba after the great preseason he has had.

Post Thanks / Like

We didn't kick enough goals last year in matches. I don't agree with it but at least we are trying to do something about a deficiency.
    Its madness. Our best 2 KPD are missing but will still throw Wood forward, Bevo is getting a bit carried away.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Its madness. Our best 2 KPD are missing but will still throw Wood forward, Bevo is getting a bit carried away.
    Redpath suspension, Boyd and Schache under done. We put in English and Trengove to alternate up forward.

Wood forward didn't lose us the game.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, if we had an oversupply of similar types, and an experienced backline - then sure try one of the athletic defenders forward.
    But with Morris and Adams out - and having lost Boyd and Murphy to retirement - Wood hasn’t never been needing MORE in defence.

In any case, nothing about Wood suggests to me that he could make it as a forward. He doesn’t have that forward nous. He does have pace - but its a straight-line, track athletics type of style - not a change-of-direction agility type of quickness that good forwards have.

And although he has that leap - using it as a forward and as a defender are two different things. As we saw today - where GWS defenders put a body on him, took his run - and he never really had an opportunity to leap at the footy.

We don’t have time for this pet project to happen in the season.

Post Thanks / Like

Redpath suspension, Boyd and Schache under done. We put in English and Trengove to alternate up forward.

Wood forward didn't lose us the game.
    Nope, we lost the game because we didnt show up. Carrying on last seasons form which is a huge worry, Bevo needs to get them up.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Yes, if we had an oversupply of similar types, and an experienced backline - then sure try one of the athletic defenders forward.
    But with Morris and Adams out - and having lost Boyd and Murphy to retirement - Wood hasn’t never been needing MORE in defence.

In any case, nothing about Wood suggests to me that he could make it as a forward. He doesn’t have that forward nous. He does have pace - but its a straight-line, track athletics type of style - not a change-of-direction agility type of quickness that good forwards have.

And although he has that leap - using it as a forward and as a defender are two different things. As we saw today - where GWS defenders put a body on him, took his run - and he never really had an opportunity to leap at the footy.

We don’t have time for this pet project to happen in the season.
    Yep. It makes no sense at all.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Mark my words......the worst thing to come out of today is the injury to Libba......it just completely saps the spirit of the club. What do we now build from?

We still have a lot of youth/quality to come back from injury I’m optimistic about. Unfortunately this was the round where things combined to produce the result it did. I actually expected it.

Unlike others......and certainly the commentators......GWS are apparently the new elite. I’m not convinced. I think they’re front runners and over rated and they beat a team well down on firepower.

What I am mostly concerned about is our general lack of pace, the falloff in form from Wood since 2016, the continued injury run from Adams.
    No. We find our men of mayhem again. See GWS today under pressure, folded like a deck of cards. But we only applied it for 5 mins Wallis for Libba and we need some venom up forward.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post

Agree completely that the move of Wood forward is a bizarre one, and makes no sense in light of our defensive personnel issues at the moment. But any player who rates their talent and ability would embrace a new challenge head-on, and Wood was absolutely pathetic today. A skinny beanpole and mid-sized first-gamer did far more to keep the GWS defenders honest than Wood did today.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"