Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  4
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom Liberatore ready to pledge loyalty to Western Bulldogs

Tom Liberatore ready to pledge loyalty to Western Bulldogs

TOM Liberatore has pledged his loyalty to the Western Bulldogs as his manager discusses a new deal with the club this week.

That meeting between his player manager Tom Williams and new list manager Sam Power had been pre-arranged before Liberatore tore his right ACL.

Williams told the Herald Sun Liberatore had already stated he would not test his free agency rights with rival clubs.

Now it becomes a question of pricing his value given his excellent form is off-set by him being dropped in the past two seasons.

He had been set for a fantastic season but his impressive pre-season form was curtailed by the knee injury just minutes into the season.

“We were planning to catch up this week anyway,” said Williams, himself restricted to 85 games by injury in eight years with the Dogs.

“We had touched base after the Moe (JLT Series) game and it was more about Tom getting his feet under him after last year.

“He was in a good frame of mind. They were really happy with him and Tom really wants to re-sign.

“I don’t think it changes that much. I have got no doubt something will get done.

“They have always been really good to deal with in regards to injured players and how they deal with them.”

Carlton knee victim Sam Docherty has become a quasi-assistant coach in his year of recovery, even taking up a role on the bench during games.

Liberatore will discuss what role he plays at the club after his surgery this week to repair what was his “good” knee.

He has recently started work on an initiative helping buskers in-need live-stream their performances so people can donate money over the internet.

Liberatore is only 25, so might have been able to ask for a lucrative long-term deal off the back of a slashing 2018 season.

He will have to set more modest financial demands now, but has never been driven to play football for money.

Dogs coach Luke Beveridge said on Sunday the club would have to help him in his recovery after he battled to stay focused after his last ACL reconstruction.

But Williams is confident that Liberatore will take his recovery in his stride, the inside midfielder in good spirits considering the setback.

“He has started a charity, he will put some time and effort into that, I am not sure what the club has in store for him, they will want to keep him busy.

“He will have the surgery and get through that. He is 25, he was 22 at the time, it’s a kick in the guts but like anyone else he has matured and I am sure that will make it a bit smoother.”

The Dogs not only have to replace Liberatore but half-back Hayden Crozier, who will miss several weeks with a strained medial ligament in his knee.

Mitch Wallis and Lin Jong performed strongly in a VFL practice match, with key forward Jack Redpath available after a Round 1 suspension.

The Dogs take on West Coast on Sunday at Etihad Stadium aware they must quickly turn around their form after the worrying 82-point loss.

2. Thanks bornadog, Twodogs, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tom Liberatore ready to pledge loyalty to Western Bulldogs

It's going to be a tough year for Libba, lets hope he is fully focused on getting himself right
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

4. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's going to be a tough year for Libba, lets hope he is fully focused on getting himself right

Hopefully having a two year extension makes his recovery go that little bit simpler.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He is a more mature player and person than last time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    He is a more mature player and person than last time.
    I like the fact he now has his own charity, that will help keep him focused.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Likes Bulldog4life, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I like the fact he now has his own charity, that will help keep him focused.
    Just The Human Fund and that Susan thingo foundation did for George Costanza? They kept him right out of trouble.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite