Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: “Soul destroying” footy dooming dogs says Derm

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    The "handball club" couldn't have been further from our style of play on the weekend; we were totally incapable of stringing any possessions together and didn't really think through any contested situations.
    True but our midfield couldn't get their hands on it, when they did they turned it over, and didn't work anywhere near hard enough to get it back.
    Another point to our style of play was to look at our running defenders and how well they played. Biggs, Williams, Crozier.
    Crozier was injured so he has an excuse. Williams was awful, especially some of his efforts where he gave up. Biggs was practically unsighted. I didn't see any of them try and run the ball at all.
    Without that quick ball movement from the back half we can't play the sort of footy we want to.

Bevo probably has put a bit too much faith in these guys to step up too early when you take out Wood, Murphy, JJ and against a quality side.

2. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    True but our midfield couldn't get their hands on it, when they did they turned it over, and didn't work anywhere near hard enough to get it back.
    Another point to our style of play was to look at our running defenders and how well they played. Biggs, Williams, Crozier.
    Crozier was injured so he has an excuse. Williams was awful, especially some of his efforts where he gave up. Biggs was practically unsighted. I didn't see any of them try and run the ball at all.
    Without that quick ball movement from the back half we can't play the sort of footy we want to.

Bevo probably has put a bit too much faith in these guys to step up too early when you take out Wood, Murphy, JJ and against a quality side.
    Couldn't agree more with this. Their mids were really damaging compared to ours. I made a comment during the game that their mids are far superior with their run and delivery. Kelly is the best mid in the competition and would love him in our side.

Yeah Macrae, Dahl rack up the disposals, but the delivery into the forward line is woeful, and as you say their mids also worked harder.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I don't think that's what he's saying. It's that the style of play that was successful might not be sustainable long term. We got it going well for brief periods including those 4 weeks in the final but it's not one we've been able to keep working consistently.
    I read it wrong.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

5. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Couldn't agree more with this. Their mids were really damaging compared to ours. I made a comment during the game that their mids are far superior with their run and delivery. Kelly is the best mid in the competition and would love him in our side.

Yeah Macrae, Dahl rack up the disposals, but the delivery into the forward line is woeful, and as you say their mids also worked harder.
    It's cliched and simple but it's the stark truth. Jono Brown mentioned on the couch last night that Sydney (Hanneberry specifically) felt they couldn't match us for the the contest in the GF, that we just kept getting numbers to the next ball.

We have't done it for a full match since....which leaves a depleted backline exposed. Biggs had a good GF, with M Boyd, Wood and JJ nearby as the medium/small defenders. Looks a bit different now.

And I know I'm not alone in SMH at the endless/aimless highballs we launch into our F50....(which is something we did a bit of in the GF funnily enough...)
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    And I know I'm not alone in SMH at the endless/aimless highballs we launch into our F50....(which is something we did a bit of in the GF funnily enough...)
    I went to the AFLW GF and we did the same thing

The only reason why I think we bomb it in long is our forward line is always crowded and players can't find the space to lead out. This happens because we have lost the ability to quickly transition the ball from the backline to forward line. This allows the opposition to cover us. We did that alot last year.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I went to the AFLW GF and we did the same thing

The only reason why I think we bomb it in long is our forward line is always crowded and players can't find the space to lead out. This happens because we have lost the ability to quickly transition the ball from the backline to forward line. This allows the opposition to cover us. We did that alot last year.
    Macrae seems to be in the habbit of finding players in space when he gets the ball near the 50 so we know it's not impossible. I think we just don't try and/or the players lack the ability to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Macrae seems to be in the habbit of finding players in space when he gets the ball near the 50 so we know it's not impossible. I think we just don't try and/or the players lack the ability to do it.
    Bailey Dale can hit up a lead too. When he gets his hands on the ball.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Bailey Dale can hit up a lead too. When he gets his hands on the ball.
    He kicked a good goal on Sunday. A highlight.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    He kicked a good goal on Sunday. A highlight.
    Great effort to take the game on in those circumstances. Usually when you are getting thumped you can't give the ball away quick enough.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

12. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Its intensity. We have lacked intensity since we one the GF. Whether that is a lack of hunger. Whether its niggling injuries meaning te guys who got us there can't go to that level again I don't know.

The most disappointing thing on Saturday was the number of cheap and easy possessions the GWS players got because our guys lacked the desire to chase, harass, man up etc. We did it for a brief 10 mins period to get back into the game at quarter time and then tat was it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Its intensity. We have lacked intensity since we one the GF. Whether that is a lack of hunger. Whether its niggling injuries meaning te guys who got us there can't go to that level again I don't know.

The most disappointing thing on Saturday was the number of cheap and easy possessions the GWS players got because our guys lacked the desire to chase, harass, man up etc. We did it for a brief 10 mins period to get back into the game at quarter time and then tat was it.
    Yes we have lost that intensity Fredi. At times last year that 2016 like form was back for a bit in games but no where near enough. The game against the Dons in Round 19 at Etihad was I think our best for the year and we were very attacking that day. We had a lot more heavy losses as well only 1 notable heavy loss in 2016 - hopefully we do not have another big loss like that for the rest of the season.

15 and 16 H&A seasons very similar they were good but nothing all conquering and made the finals finishing 6th and 7th respectively.

Difference of course we went all out in the 16 final series leading to the flag. Still one of the greatest premierships considering what position we were in.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Great effort to take the game on in those circumstances. Usually when you are getting thumped you can't give the ball away quick enough.
    A up and comer last year Bailey Dale. He has good hands and an eye for the goals. Hoping he goes more further this year. One of the few positives also out of Sunday.