Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kearney wins second AFLW Best and Fairest

It's just like Vescio or Pearce where they've been offered a full time job with the club in addition to a marquee contract. Basically it's something that we can't match because Brennan & Blackburn are our marquee players and we can't just decide to float a full time job with the club just so that we can match Norths offer.

It sucks but that's how it goes; we were always going to lose an important player thanks to the new Victorian clubs and it's just as crucial for us to hold onto Conti, Blackburn & Huntington.

Post Thanks / Like

Add Brooke Lochlan and Hannah Scott to the must keeps. And Lauren Spark.

Post Thanks / Like

The whole player movement market in the AFLW is a debacle at the moment, nobody knows what is going on:

North Melbourne has fired the first shot ahead of its entry into the league in 2019 by snaring this season’s AFLW best and fairest Emma Kearney from the Bulldogs.

Kearney’s move has baffled rival clubs as the league has yet to announce the rules on player movement.

Clubs believe they will have to give up as many as four players to the new clubs — North Melbourne and Geelong — but they have no official word.
    Players are in limbo with clubs reluctant to delist and unable to re-sign as list rules and salary caps have yet to be defined by the league.

Coaches are also in limbo. Both the Crows and the Magpies are yet to re-sign their current coaches, Bec Goddard and Wayne Seikman.

Bulldogs premiership coach Paul Groves is out of contract at the Whitten Oval and is set to resume his job as a teacher.

Carlton parted ways with its foundation coach Damien Keeping in the week of the AFLW decider.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    Emma is a Melbourne Uni girl ... she played all of her footy with them. Their alignment with North Melbourne Women's team meant it was always going to be hard to keep her at the Western Oval once Norf came into the competition.

As reigning Bulldogs B&F and reigning AFLW B&F, I would hope there would be good compensation ... two end of first round picks should do it.
    As part of the rules we have to give up a certain value of players to the expansion clubs next year.
    It just means we won't have to give much else after Kearney goes. Which is kind of good news.
    Better than giving up 3-4 of your mid tier players like Conti.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    The whole player movement market in the AFLW is a debacle at the moment, nobody knows what is going on:
    Just shows the AFEL is not fair dinkum about women's football.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    As I suspected, AFEL makey-uppey at work
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

It has been reported that the 4 Victorian based clubs will be required to give up players, but why should this not be extended to all clubs.

Brisbane has contested both Grand Finals, yet are exempt.

You would expect an element of fairness to come into the situation.

However, you then remember who are responsible for the rules and realise that fairness isn't in their vocabulary.

As reigning premiers, I expect they will find a way to make us give up more than any other team.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Do you get a compo draft pick for giving up the best player in the competition?
    Surely that’s a yes?!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    It has been reported that the 4 Victorian based clubs will be required to give up players, but why should this not be extended to all clubs.

Brisbane has contested both Grand Finals, yet are exempt.

You would expect an element of fairness to come into the situation.

However, you then remember who are responsible for the rules and realise that fairness isn't in their vocabulary.

As reigning premiers, I expect they will find a way to make us give up more than any other team.
    I imaging the Brisbane girls live in Brisbane. Seems a bit much to make them move for an amateur comp (as in I don't believe they are paid enough to live off from playing). Unless I'm wrong and they travel/live interstate for the period when the season is played.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I imaging the Brisbane girls live in Brisbane. Seems a bit much to make them move for an amateur comp (as in I don't believe they are paid enough to live off from playing). Unless I'm wrong and they travel/live interstate for the period when the season is played.
    I do know that not all are Queenslanders.

Wuetschner and Gibson are Tasmanian

Hildebrand and Ashmore are from Melbourne Uni

Ayre and Exon both from Carlton.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Do you get a compo draft pick for giving up the best player in the competition?
    Surely that’s a yes?!
    Should be a yes, but AFL still haven't worked out the rules.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Should be a yes, but AFL still haven't worked out the rules.
    It certainly is odd - but considering the administration at AFL house it isn't surprising.

How they can implement a rule or an edict that players can be poached but have no clarity around what the compensation if any may be available is beyond me.

But rest assured they are taking the womens game seriously.
    More of an In Bruges guy?