Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Are we a BASKETBALL team now?

After last week, the one thing I expected (above everything and anything else) was a physical response.

Say whatever you want about the first quarter - about effort, scoring, whatever else - all of it is WRONG. Whether we were 2 points down or 10 goals up I wouldn't have cared...to lay a total of 7x tackles in one quarter the week after an 82-point defeat is just not on.

Where are our heads at? Have we forgotten that football is a contact sport and that we might (just maybe) be well advised to go out on the ground and INITIATE SOME CONTACT?

I know the players aren't gutless and I know they aren't scared but they are not approaching the game with the correct mindset at the moment and the outcome of that is 7x tackles in the first quarter the week after a pretty embarrassing loss.

Watching Port play Sydney in the game after ours was a clear reminder of exactly how far we have fallen...after a poor first half, they came out and really fought the fight in q3 with Boak leading from the front. Us? Well, our skipper played in his usual position in the back half - you know, the spot he was selected in the All-Australian side in? And he proceeded to allow Liam Ryan (in his 2nd game) a 2 metre cushion in a marking contest...and Ryan did what anyone who has watched him in the last couple of years knew he would do - left up and took the mark (thankfully he missed the goal). For goodness sake, take a body, take his run and just compete...

Basketball. We are playing basketball. It is all about zoning off and ball movement and goodness knows what else.

Tackle someone. Make a physical impact. Play footy.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are we a BASKETBALL team now?

My mate at the footy today commented we don't have enough aggression at the ball, we are too nice.

I agree with the OP, we are playing like basketball, we are losing contested poss. where in 2016 we we were returning incredible figures in this area.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    After last week, the one thing I expected (above everything and anything else) was a physical response.

Say whatever you want about the first quarter - about effort, scoring, whatever else - all of it is WRONG. Whether we were 2 points down or 10 goals up I wouldn't have cared...to lay a total of 7x tackles in one quarter the week after an 82-point defeat is just not on.

Where are our heads at? Have we forgotten that football is a contact sport and that we might (just maybe) be well advised to go out on the ground and INITIATE SOME CONTACT?

I know the players aren't gutless and I know they aren't scared but they are not approaching the game with the correct mindset at the moment and the outcome of that is 7x tackles in the first quarter the week after a pretty embarrassing loss.

Watching Port play Sydney in the game after ours was a clear reminder of exactly how far we have fallen...after a poor first half, they came out and really fought the fight in q3 with Boak leading from the front. Us? Well, our skipper played in his usual position in the back half - you know, the spot he was selected in the All-Australian side in? And he proceeded to allow Liam Ryan (in his 2nd game) a 2 metre cushion in a marking contest...and Ryan did what anyone who has watched him in the last couple of years knew he would do - left up and took the mark (thankfully he missed the goal). For goodness sake, take a body, take his run and just compete...

Basketball. We are playing basketball. It is all about zoning off and ball movement and goodness knows what else.

Tackle someone. Make a physical impact. Play footy.

Do. Don't think, Mick, don’t hope. Do. At least you can come off and say, 'I did this, I shepherded, I played on. At least I did something for the sake of the side. Do. Act. Don’t think, act. Eye on the ball. The contest is still the same. You must win the ball to win the match. And more than that, when you win the ball you must cooperate with fellas coming past. And you must be desperate enough to stick with me and do it. The crowd might laugh. It might go wrong. I'm game enough to tell you to do it. Are you game enough to back me up? Are you game enough, Scotty, to back me up on that?

Someone had to say it...
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

4. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Even in basketball they would box out the player (take out his run)

Post Thanks / Like

15 players had 2 or less tackles today...
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

If you didn’t know any better you’d think we’ve phoned it in for the year both in terms of the selections at match committee and our players’ attitude/effort.

It’s hard to understand how both of these issues can be present in round two.

Something smells completely off at this club.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, pick a fight, try and disrupt things. If we can't get the game in our terms, due to poor skills, or being out performed, pick a fight. Light a fire. Our best, most respected sides live and breathe a football identity that is persistent and combative. Ocassionally they've been fast (Plough) dogged (Bevo) dirty (plough) class (Eade) but they've had a real Footscray foundation.

I'm not sure what the intention for this group is. But on weeks 1 and 2, it isn't any of the above. Nor is it Economic, Effective, Efficient, Skillful, Aerial, systematic etc etc.

Whatever Bevo is trying to do, he needs to attach it to a narrative that resonates with our best traits as a Club, because without that as a tangible component of our day at the footy, days like today leave us with nothing. That won't bode well for a number of people whose jobs were otherwise fairly secure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    15 players had 2 or less tackles today...
    Which is why I'm pretty ropeable Wallis has missed twice.

He won't help our skill level but we lost contested possessions by 26 and had 7 less tackles (despite getting thumped). He'll at least crack in and has a body that's mature enough to hit and hurt.

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't bring myself to look at the stats after the game yesterday, but the tackle numbers are an indictment. As you said, the week after a poor performance, tackle numbers are something seemingly in our control and an indicator of intent that we could've made a real statement with.

The Liam Ryan thing became ridiculous towards the end of the game. Surely we'd recognised he'd camp off the contest, run and jump at the ball? Maybe we had but didn't care, as there were certainly enough players in the vicinity where we could've ensured he didn't get such a clear run and jump at it.

On a side note, he and Venebles looked good. Thankfully they didn't kick very straight...but boy, they know how to get the ball in the forward half and get themselves shots on goal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Do. Don't think, Mick, don’t hope. Do. At least you can come off and say, 'I did this, I shepherded, I played on. At least I did something for the sake of the side. Do. Act. Don’t think, act. Eye on the ball. The contest is still the same. You must win the ball to win the match. And more than that, when you win the ball you must cooperate with fellas coming past. And you must be desperate enough to stick with me and do it. The crowd might laugh. It might go wrong. I'm game enough to tell you to do it. Are you game enough to back me up? Are you game enough, Scotty, to back me up on that?

Someone had to say it...
    This should be playing in every players headphones before each game instead of whatever motivation their going with at the moment. Which is probably Taylor Swift haters are gonna hate!
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

12. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    I couldn't bring myself to look at the stats after the game yesterday, but the tackle numbers are an indictment. As you said, the week after a poor performance, tackle numbers are something seemingly in our control and an indicator of intent that we could've made a real statement with.

The Liam Ryan thing became ridiculous towards the end of the game. Surely we'd recognised he'd camp off the contest, run and jump at the ball? Maybe we had but didn't care, as there were certainly enough players in the vicinity where we could've ensured he didn't get such a clear run and jump at it.

On a side note, he and Venebles looked good. Thankfully they didn't kick very straight...but boy, they know how to get the ball in the forward half and get themselves shots on goal.
    Its amazing isn't it. You get a bloke sitting off the back of the back, who is clearly capable of taking a bit hanger. Surely you negate that by putting a little bit of body on him, rather than giving him a free run at the footy.

Surely at this level basics shouldn't have to be ironed in to the players by the coaching staff at the breaks?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Its amazing isn't it. You get a bloke sitting off the back of the back, who is clearly capable of taking a bit hanger. Surely you negate that by putting a little bit of body on him, rather than giving him a free run at the footy.

Surely at this level basics shouldn't have to be ironed in to the players by the coaching staff at the breaks?
    Just get in front of him and fall over! It's pretty *!*!*!*!ing basic...

That's what i'd do anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    This should be playing in every players headphones before each game instead of whatever motivation their going with at the moment. Which is probably Taylor Swift haters are gonna hate!
    Of course the great problem with that is the speech is taken from halftime at the 1975 grand final which Hawthorn were thrashed in.

But its a mighty speech. It makes the game seem pretty simple and gives hope to useless bastards like me who weren't very good but would do anything to win.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Of course the great problem with that is the speech is taken from halftime at the 1975 grand final which Hawthorn were thrashed in.

But its a mighty speech. It makes the game seem pretty simple and gives hope to useless bastards like me who weren't very good but would do anything to win.
    Rather curious oversight in the story, isn't it?

My personal favourite is Yabby Jeans' "You've got to pay the price" at HT in the 1989 GF.

I only wish Al Pacino's "Inches" speech from Any Given Sunday was a real coach's speech. Its one of my favourite cinema monologues of all time.

Post Thanks / Like

Inspiration from coaches only lasts 5 minutes. It has to come from within!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

18. Likes bornadog liked this post