Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is there something going on behind the scenes at Whitten Oval

Maybe we just need to lower expectations.

We'll call it a development year.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    At the game yesterday I thought at qtr time we are right in this. The 2nd quarter really lost it for us. Just awful that quarter.

Sure we did a little better in the 2nd half but simply not good enough. I liked Bailey Dale's Goal yesterday but he wasn't influential as much forward - would have liked to see more. Dunkley, Gowers did try to give us something forward but there kicking let them down so no good.

That shot Gowers had, we were already 7 goals behind, in the third I think, was one of the worst shots I've ever seen but at least he ran around and tried to make a target. I don't want him back in the senior team until he can kick though. I said when we recruited him that he was going to be frustrating to watch because he can't kick.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Nothing is going on behind the scenes. We have a very young squad, we have injuries to major players and we need to desperately get some experience back in the side from players that have had an interrupted preseason.

I want, Wallis, Dickson, Tom Boyd, Redpath, Biggs (if he warrants it after Saturday) back in.
    Not disagreeing BAD but it could be only part of it and there are other issues within with the culture. It is no excuse with the effort that we have displayed the last 2 weeks.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Not so sure about this. I think there are players that are struggling at this level but there is a lot of quality on there as well. We didn't all of a sudden go bad in 2017 because of the list as there were only a few players from the premiership team that left.

There are many important players out of form including Bont. For whatever reason we just are not working hard enough as a team. If we can replicate the 1st quarter from yesterday another 3 times next week we are a chance.
    Not sure we were watching the same game, the writing was on the wall at quarter time. Stop looking at the score board to tell you whats happening. We looked ok when we had the ball but when we don't have it we are the easiest team to score against. This is not new, it was happening last year & i think its will get worse before it gets better.

I've been a member since 96 & have never missed a home game that i could attend. I choose not to go this week. I can handle losing but i won't handle questioning their effort.

5. Likes Twodogs, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post
    Not sure we were watching the same game, the writing was on the wall at quarter time. Stop looking at the score board to tell you whats happening. We looked ok when we had the ball but when we don't have it we are the easiest team to score against. This is not new, it was happening last year & i think its will get worse before it gets better.

I've been a member since 96 & have never missed a home game that i could attend. I choose not to go this week. I can handle losing but i won't handle questioning their effort.
    Maybe I was just desperate at qtr time yesterday for our fortunes to change and I was hopeful the tide might turn our way after being nearly level with them on the scoreboard but yes defensively as I mentioned we were absolutely woeful. That 2nd quarter was just bad. Good though that Wood has gone back down there at least.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

I knew we were in for a flogging at qtr time. You could already see the effort was not there and that the eagles were basically standing alone at contests and moving unopposed into their forward line. There was one play in the 1st qtr, the eagles had the ball about 70m out from goal. I was sat at the opposite end of the ground with a pretty poor view, but could see (i think it was Darling) standing by himself deep inside 50. He led but was not honoured. He doubled back and led again and this time was hit up. All unopposed. And this wasn't a quick run play after a turnover. We had plenty of time to setup. It was disgraceful and i knew we were in for a long day at that point. I don't know if that's inexperience, poor leadership or lack of effort but it was insipid. What i don't understand is how we can deliver such tripe a week after the pathetic display against the giants. I have never heard such a disinterested crowd at our home games.

Post Thanks / Like

We need a motivational speaker this week at the Whitten Oval.
    How about Terry Wheeler. A true passionate doggies man. A great speaker.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    How about Terry Wheeler. A true passionate doggies man. A great speaker.
    First name I thought of as well.

There aren't many ex coaches welcomed back into their club with open arms but Wheeler absolutely is.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    I knew we were in for a flogging at qtr time. You could already see the effort was not there and that the eagles were basically standing alone at contests and moving unopposed into their forward line. There was one play in the 1st qtr, the eagles had the ball about 70m out from goal. I was sat at the opposite end of the ground with a pretty poor view, but could see (i think it was Darling) standing by himself deep inside 50. He led but was not honoured. He doubled back and led again and this time was hit up. All unopposed. And this wasn't a quick run play after a turnover. We had plenty of time to setup. It was disgraceful and i knew we were in for a long day at that point. I don't know if that's inexperience, poor leadership or lack of effort but it was insipid. What i don't understand is how we can deliver such tripe a week after the pathetic display against the giants. I have never heard such a disinterested crowd at our home games.
    Sounds like on field leadership issue.

We shouldn't have retire M Boyd. Had a year left.

Post Thanks / Like

We need a motivational speaker this week at the Whitten Oval.
    Who is it?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Who is it?
    Bevo
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Likes Templeton31, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought I'd seen most things in football but there was something in the 3rd quarter that was a new one on me.
    There were 3 Eagles basically in the goal square and none of our blokes within cooee. They could have put the kettle on and have a cup of tea while deciding who should do the honours. It was that bad.
    I do not want to see another awful display like our round 2 non-performance ever again.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

15. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    I thought I'd seen most things in football but there was something in the 3rd quarter that was a new one on me.
    There were 3 Eagles basically in the goal square and none of our blokes within cooee. They could have put the kettle on and have a cup of tea while deciding who should do the honours. It was that bad.
    I do not want to see another awful display like our round 2 non-performance ever again.
    I thought that was in the first quarter, in fact I had a heated discussion with my son about it because he said it was in the third quarter too. Maybe it happened twice because I'm sure I tuned out most of the third quarter. I do remember thinking that I'd never seen three opposition players in the goalsquare all by themselves like that with no bulldog within 15 metres of them before.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I thought that was in the first quarter, in fact I had a heated discussion with my son about it because he said it was in the third quarter too. Maybe it happened twice because I'm sure I tuned out most of the third quarter. I do remember thinking that I'd never seen three opposition players in the goalsquare all by themselves like that with no bulldog within 15 metres of them before.
    It happened at least twice. But it also happened numerous times in the midfield. 3 eagles players waiting for the handball receive, all unopposed.

I'm not sure if i posted it here, but in the first qtr i saw Jack Darling (i think it was him, i was at the other end of the ground) lead up multiple times unopposed whilst an eagles player had the ball (from a mark) 60 metres out. Darling was unopposed deep in our defensive 50 for an hour and he was able to lead up multiple times!!. And this wasn't from a turnover. The ball had been in our defence for quite some time. It was pathetic.

Post Thanks / Like

So what was the reaction by the players when this disastrous defending went on? I wasn't there, but I hope Easton got fired up about it. Who is our defensive coach?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus