Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

Wood makes plea: “Keep the faith”

Link

Western Bulldogs captain Easton Wood has been disappointed by his club’s performance early in season 2018.
    Speaking on AFL Nation’s pre-game on Easter Monday, Wood said: “When we turn it over, in open play… you need those little wins, that momentum.

“Build pressure, and get that good feeling out of that, which we haven’t been able to do.”

The Bulldogs have lost their opening two matches of the 2018 season following a 2017 campaign that failed to reach the magical heights of their 2016 Premiership triumph.

Wood spoke about doing the little things in matches that, when combined, help generate victories.
    “You need to initiate that, and build on that, and that’s what we’re hoping to do,” he added.

Terry Wallace questioned the ability for the Dogs to turn their fortunes around with such a young side.

He said: “Can you do that with kids? When you’re under that sort of pressure and you’ve got babies running around, how difficult will that be to get that?

“I wonder how difficult it is to get that message through to kids?”

Bulldogs skipper Wood is well aware that there is plenty of urgency surrounding his side’s ability to regain some form quickly.

“It doesn’t matter how difficult it is, it’s our challenge to do that. We’ve got to find a way to get excited about that and take it head on,” he added.

“We have to back in what we’ve been doing and keep the message, keep the faith, because in footy nothing’s ever as good as it seems and nothing’s ever as bad as it seems.”

The AFL Nation team asked Wood if he expected his side to respond in round 2 against West Coast, following the disastrous 82-point defeat to GWS in round 1 defeat.

“Yeah, I didn’t expect the result in that first game, but that’s where we’re at,” he said.
    “We’ve just got to find a way to get better.”

The Bulldogs will look to bounce back from their terrible beginning to the new season against Essendon at Etihad Stadium in round 3 on Suday, April 8.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wood makes plea: “Keep the faith”

Get a kick mate then we'll talk.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

That was before yesterday's game
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Get a kick mate then we'll talk.
    I thought he was ok yesterday and got better as the game went on. 9 marks and lots of spoils.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    That was before yesterday's game
    Article references Easter Monday.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Actions speak louder than words.

I remember the Melbourne game last when Murphy was on SEN before the game & he said 'get a seat early'. I was excited to see how we would respond, we hit them with a feather duster!

Post Thanks / Like

Play like you actually give a *!*!*!*! and then we will 'keep the faith'.. until then it's just words.

10. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Woody you got us all wrong. We never lost faith, but we lose patience!
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Woody you got us all wrong. We never lost faith, but we lose patience!
    I think faith is the right word. We can't be impatient with Bevo. 3 years = finals, flag, 10th. Not bad from a dogs perspective. But we do all kinda dance around the reality of results being his KPI sometimes. We sometimes say "in Bevo we trust". So either we do or we don't.

Do we have faith? I'm on the fence.

13. Thanks Ghost Dog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a good question. I never really lost faith when we had Matt Boyd, D. Cross, or Murph in the team because they never gave in. You can build teams around that kind of commitment. Then there are the Brian Lakes, Adam Cooney's who fill the gaps.

This young group needs to fill a huge hole of core experience lost to us. But if we show faith in them, then eventually they will get it right. If the selection committee could be a bit less erratic it might take a little less time? The worry is our young players getting smashed and injured.
    Confused at some of the current team choices.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus