Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom Boyd needs to find form in the VFL before an AFL recall, says coach Luke Beveridge

TOM Boyd simply isn’t in good enough form to earn a recall for the Western Bulldogs, according to coach Luke
    Beveridge.With injuries to tall targets Jordan Roughead and Jackson Trengove, Boyd appeared the perfect replacement, but the talented forward was named only as an emergency for Sunday’s clash with Essendon.

Beveridge said now wasn’t the time for Boyd.
    “He’s a really important player and part of our future, but we just need him to play well at the lower level and find his mojo as a forward,” Beveridge said.

Recruit Josh Schache has a calf injury, but it’s hoped he can return to play VFL next week.“There’s been some good signs but even early in last weeks game he copped a knock and it incapacitated him for the rest of his day. He played but he wasn’t quite where he needed to be.

“Now’s not an ideal time for Tom to come in when he’s not playing so well and we’re not as a group.

“We’ll find the right time and hopefully that’s over the course of the next few weeks.”
    Bulldogs recruit Josh Schache also hasn’t played this season and now has a calf injury.
    Beveridge denied Schache, who moved from the Lions ahead of this season, was disillusioned with the game.

Luke Dahlhaus and Tom Boyd share a laugh at training, but it’s been a sobering season for the Dogs.“We couldn’t be happier with Josh’s application, he didn’t miss a session pre-season,” Beveridge said.

“He’s definitely that young forward who is a work in progress ... we see him as a really bright prospect for us, unfortunately he’s got a calf injury at the moment but I think he’ll probably be right to play again (in the VFL) next week.

“He’s a great kid, we’re fortunate to have him.”

Former Bulldogs captain Bob Murphy said Boyd not playing was a “massive concern”.

“If he’s going anywhere near his capacity, he’d be one of the first picked, so yeah, it’s a big worry,’ Murphy told SEN radio.

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tom Boyd needs to find form in the VFL before an AFL recall, says coach Luke Beveridge

Gee whiz I'm frustrated with those comments about Boyd.

“He’s a really important player and part of our future, but we just need him to play well at the lower level and find his mojo as a forward,” Beveridge said.

Has Beveridge now settled on Boyd as a forward? If so why on earth has been played mainly as a ruck 2016 and first half of 2017?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tom Boyd needs to find form in the VFL before an AFL recall, says coach Luke Beveridge

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Gee whiz I'm frustrated with those comments about Boyd.

Has Beveridge now settled on Boyd as a forward? If so why on earth has been played mainly as a ruck 2016 and first half of 2017?
    He's apparently not ready to play and yet we have named him as an emergency.
    It's hard to decipher what is going on.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Could we read Bevo's comments re Boyd in tandem with his being named as Emergency as reminder to Tom that he isn't far from consideration and moreover a motivation for him that once he hits certain benchmarks, that he is needed and wanted in the side?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Could we read Bevo's comments re Boyd in tandem with his being named as Emergency as reminder to Tom that he isn't far from consideration and moreover a motivation for him that once he hits certain benchmarks, that he is needed and wanted in the side?
    I guess we could but to be honest, whatever Beveridge says regarding Boyd, I take it with a massive grain of salt.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

His comments here are as muddled as our game plan at the moment. He's important, we see him as a forward, but we're won't play him, and in the VFL we make him ruck. Seems sensible, i'm sure Tom isn't confused or frustrated by the message at all!
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

We as a club have a woeful reputation in developing key forwards - would Boyd have developed differently at a different club? I'm thinking probably, yes.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

8. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty shit how every other club can seem to develop young KPFs in the seniors yet we cant.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

If we had a time machine and went back to the mid 90s and recruited a 25 yo Wayne Carey and Mattew Richardson and then bought them back to the present day I wonder how long it would take us as a club to completely destroy any semblance of form or confidence they bought with them as the gun forwards of the competition?

They would be alternating CHB/sitting on the bench for Footscray by season's end.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    We as a club have a woeful reputation in developing key forwards - would Boyd have developed differently at a different club? I'm thinking probably, yes.
    I've no doubt he would've. We're always desperate to recruit them, always looking for anything they can't do, drop them without persisting with them, try to turn them into anything but a key forward, then write them off and chase another to repeat the cycle with.

12. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I tend to agree. I don't want any player that is not in form playing AFL. I think Jong and Daniel were under done last week, but what were we to do, put in another couple of debutants.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Pretty shit how every other club can seem to develop young KPFs in the seniors yet we cant.
    McCartin
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps but weve tended to go with convoluted reasons to explain our decision making rather than being as blunt as calling out form as the reason why a player gets named as an emergency each week. If its form related then we couldname other players as the emergency
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    McCartin
    Is he not currently playing seniors for the purposes of developing him as a key forward? He may not make it but they're giving it a go. They had good success with Bruce and Riewoldt as recent options too.

I'm assuming Chef's point is we've got 2, and both are playing ruck in the VFL while the seniors are getting belted each week by 10 goals.

17. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Is he not currently playing seniors for the purposes of developing him as a key forward? He may not make it but they're giving it a go. They had good success with Bruce and Riewoldt as recent options too.

I'm assuming Chef's point is we've got 2, and both are playing ruck in the VFL while the seniors are getting belted each week by 10 goals.
    If you ask Tom what position does he play, he will respond with Ruck/Fwd, not Fwd/ruck.