Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tom Boyd needs to find form in the VFL before an AFL recall, says coach Luke Beveridge

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    If you ask Tom what position does he play, he will respond with Ruck/Fwd, not Fwd/ruck.
    If you asked him the same question 12 months ago it was the other way around. If what you say is correct I'd say he is reading the coach better.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tom Boyd needs to find form in the VFL before an AFL recall, says coach Luke Beveridge

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    If you asked him the same question 12 month's ago it was the other way around. If what you say is correct I'd say he is reading the coach better.
    Exactly. He's probably at the point he'll say anything if he thinks it'll get him a game.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

If you asked him the same question 12 months ago it was the other way around. If what you say is correct I'd say he is reading the coach better.
    Do you want me to find the article from over a year ago
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you want me to find the article from over a year ago
    If you like, I talked to him at the players sponsors evening last year, he said to me forward first, ruckman 2nd.

Post Thanks / Like

If you like, I talked to him at the players sponsors evening last year, he said to me forward first, ruckman 2nd.
    He may prefer that. Roberts told me he prefers forward

players have to play where the coaches say they have to play

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

So basically the opposite of what you were arguing earlier

If you ask Tom what position does he play, he will respond with Ruck/Fwd, not Fwd/ruck.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

The point is moot. He’s pretty average at both at this point, but he’s less average at rucking than he is as a forward. At least as a ruckman, the ability to mark a ball - a skill he struggles to execute more times than not - isn’t as necessary as a key forward.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

It wasn't necessarily about where he preferred to play it was how he saw himself 12 months ago. He trained primary as a forward during the preseason and ended up as a ruckman due to injuries and with running thin on ruckman.

I might be wrong here, and apologies if I am, but don't you blame Malthouse not Hardie because Mick insisted that Hardie needed to add a defensive ethic to his game which lead to the Hardie departure?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    So basically the opposite of what you were arguing earlier
    Sorry didn't explain properly, Roberts was an example of what Roberts prefers, yet he plays FB.

Post Thanks / Like

How can Bevo play Boyd if he can't get a kick in the VFL? He plays him ruck because he has shown an inability to play as a forward. We need to get value for the abilities he does have so playing him ruck at times is definitely the right move.

Don't disagree that we have been poor at developing key forwards but name a current successful key forward with the same attributes as Boyd? I can't think of any off the top of my head. They are all either lightning quick on the lead, athletic, jump at the ball or a different body shape completely. Tom Hawkins is the closest and he is a liability at times. The blueprint for Boyd needs to start with rucking and slowly build his confidence as a forward option. I want a big key forward as much as the next person but just wanting it won't make Boyd something he is not.

11. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems to be building - was reportedly better on the weekend

What I want to see from Boyd is fitness and consistent effort - once he ticks those two then I’m sure he will be back in the side

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    How can Bevo play Boyd if he can't get a kick in the VFL? He plays him ruck because he has shown an inability to play as a forward. We need to get value for the abilities he does have so playing him ruck at times is definitely the right move.

Don't disagree that we have been poor at developing key forwards but name a current successful key forward with the same attributes as Boyd? I can't think of any off the top of my head. They are all either lightning quick on the lead, athletic, jump at the ball or a different body shape completely. Tom Hawkins is the closest and he is a liability at times. The blueprint for Boyd needs to start with rucking and slowly build his confidence as a forward option. I want a big key forward as much as the next person but just wanting it won't make Boyd something he is not.
    Boyd can jump and has shown he can be strong overhead and on the lead. He's strong. He's historically been a decent kick for goal.

But keep playing him in the ruck and he's not going to hone those raw attributes into something suitable as a forward.

And to say "Hawkins is a liability at times" is to forget that pretty much every footballer in every team has weaknesses and can be a liability. Hawkins just gets played to his strengths and Geelong continue to benefit from that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Boyd can jump and has shown he can be strong overhead and on the lead. He's strong. He's historically been a decent kick for goal.

But keep playing him in the ruck and he's not going to hone those raw attributes into something suitable as a forward.

And to say "Hawkins is a liability at times" is to forget that pretty much every footballer in every team has weaknesses and can be a liability. Hawkins just gets played to his strengths and Geelong continue to benefit from that.
    Boyd marks better when the ball drops on his head. Never been a strong mark in front of his eyes. It's a major difference and is often the thing that's holds people back from becoming forwards. Some if the best intercept markers the game has seen can't catch it as a forward in front of their eyes. See it at all levels of footy every week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post

Tom Hawkins is criminally underrated.
    Has a B&F to his name as a KPF which is difficult to especially considering the stars of the Geelong era, a 2nd in their B&F, led their goal-kicking 6 times, has two flags, an equal second in the Coleman more than once, been AA in 2012 and in the squad more than once.

He is clearly a no 1 KPF and the lynchpin of Geelong's entire forwardline in an era of top-four finishes. If Boyd gets to half of that level we'll be over the moon.

If we had any forward that came close to that record we'd be in fits of joy.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

16. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Simon Beasley (at his peak) running toward the ball carrier demanding the ball or drifting across the front of a pack plucking the ball out of a defenders hands would be handy in this team. He kicked 82 goals in his first season and the papers were saying he was a bit of a dud.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite