Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Plenty of ammo in Billy's second coming

link

A ROUND-one AFL debut looked a million miles away for Billy Gowers when couldn't crack a game in the VFL at the start of last season.

The hard-running forward was looking to re-start his career with Footscray after being delisted by Carlton after two seasons on the club's rookie list, but off-season ankle surgery put him behind the eight ball in preparation for the 2017 season.

Sent back to amateur footy after missing round-one selection at state league level, Gowers soon returned and ended up impressing with 20 goals across 19 games with the 'Scray, and that standout campaign became his much-desired ticket back to the AFL.

Twelve months on, the Bulldogs rookie now has two senior games under his belt and will line up against Essendon at Etihad Stadium on Sunday.

"Going back to local footy with Old Xaverians in the VAFA and having a bit of fun was great, but I never thought about getting redrafted until the end of last year," Gowers told AFL.com.au.

"At Carlton, I was very under-developed physically and I was playing in different positions from half-back to half-forward, so I didn't get any continuity.

"I was playing predominately down back and the Blues had some great running defenders at the time in Zach Tuohy (now at Geelong), Kade Simpson and Sam Docherty, so it was hard to break into the senior team.

"But above all that, I wasn't playing good footy.

"So, it's great being out on the field now (with the Bulldogs) and having a run around, but I hope I'm contributing to the team because it's been a such a long wait to play senior footy."

A late call up for the club's second JLT Community Series hit-out gave Gowers his first taste of senior footy with the Dogs, and he remained in the side and made his long-awaited AFL debut against Greater Western Sydney in round one.

Gowers has been one of the few positives for the struggling Dogs, kicking a goal in each of the disappointing losses to the Giants and West Coast.

"I was lucky enough to get a call up in the JLT series and I've been lucky enough to hold my spot," Gowers said.
    "My strengths are my aerial contests with my one-on-one marking, as well as my speed and ability at ground level, and if can put a lot of pressure on with my tackling, I'll be really valued at the club.

"I just want to keep bringing my attributes to the forefront, hopefully kick a few more goals and have more influence on the game.

"I want to keep growing as a footballer, but as a person as well because I'm at a great club and fortunate they gave me another chance.

"It's a very exciting time for me, but also for my friends and family because they're more excited for me than I am."

The 21-year-old has become the third generation of the Gowers family to play League football, after his father Andrew played 140 games on the wing with Hawthorn and Brisbane during the '80s and '90s, including the Hawks' 1991 Grand Final win over West Coast.

His grandfather, Trevor Gowers, played 24 games for Richmond between 1964 and 1966.

Gowers credits the support of his father for helping him follow in his footsteps.

"Dad was a pretty handy player from what I've heard, because I didn't get to see him play too much, but he's been a big influence off the field for me," he said.

"Not so much for kicking and marking, more how to conduct myself off the field by making sure I do everything right and enjoying my footy.

"Over the years he's shared some stories that have helped me on and off the field, because he's always giving me his two-bob's worth."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Plenty of ammo in Billy's second coming

I know he's been smashed a bit around here but i've been impressed with his form the first 3 games. Yes his kicking hasn't been great, but he's averaging 3 attempts at goal a game so far. He's a strong mark and competes well. Has he become a more agile replacement for Crameri? He is a limited player in terms of skills and abilities, but our forward cupboard is a bit bare at the moment and Billy is certainly not underperforming

Post Thanks / Like

I thought he was good yesterday watched him a fair bit as it's the first time I've seen him live at AFL level.

Really made good position and so many times last year when our mids would have to hold the ball up they could look forward and Gowers provided a target. His teammates seem to have confidence kicking to him one on one which is a positive sign.

I'd much rather a 50/50 shot on goal (yes his kicking needs to improve) than the inevitable turnover we were getting when we didn't have forwards who worked hard to present.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I like his mobility, his leading and ability to mark. He has a place in the side this year and used it well yesterday.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Small sample size but his numbers are comparable to Stringer's in 2016/17 and at a fraction of the cost. There's a reason he's a rookie and it's his kicking, but I'm a fan of his workrate and also his ability to provide an aerial threat for someone his size. Gowers and Dunkley provide real match-up problems in the air for smaller defenders.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Small sample size but his numbers are comparable to Stringer's in 2016/17 and at a fraction of the cost. There's a reason he's a rookie and it's his kicking, but I'm a fan of his workrate and also his ability to provide an aerial threat for someone his size. Gowers and Dunkley provide real match-up problems in the air for smaller defenders.
    Good comparison. On pure output really not that different though he looks like actually taking a mark and being a threat in the air.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I thought he was good yesterday watched him a fair bit as it's the first time I've seen him live at AFL level.

Really made good position and so many times last year when our mids would have to hold the ball up they could look forward and Gowers provided a target. His teammates seem to have confidence kicking to him one on one which is a positive sign.

I'd much rather a 50/50 shot on goal (yes his kicking needs to improve) than the inevitable turnover we were getting when we didn't have forwards who worked hard to present.
    I agree I'd prefer Gowers and his move ment to all the forwards standing stock still watching the ball carrier running toward him. It's just a shame that he can't finish off his work by executing such a basic skill of the game effectively.

But, hey, watching Levi Greenwoid not once but twice swing onto his right foot and sink goals from 50 metres and then have a set shot from 40 and get that as well gives me hope.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I agree I'd prefer Gowers and his move ment to all the forwards standing stock still watching the ball carrier running toward him. It's just a shame that he can't finish off his work by executing such a basic skill of the game effectively.

But, hey, watching Levi Greenwoid not once but twice swing onto his right foot and sink goals from 50 metres and then have a set shot from 40 and get that as well gives me hope.
    Hey TD, Gowers another long line of AFL Father/Sons playing for us. Picken, Dunkley, Gowers on top of Bulldog Father sons in Cordy, Libba, Wallis, Hunter and then we have Grandfather AFL sons in Richards, and coach Bevo. Did I miss anyone?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

He very good overhead and seems to read the flight well. I think with a bit more experience he'll use his body pretty well in a contest and be less likely to give away frees like he did on the weekend. The concern remains he's kicked 3.6 so far this season, and there reaches a point where we can't continue to player players who convert 1 out of 3.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    He very good overhead and seems to read the flight well. I think with a bit more experience he'll use his body pretty well in a contest and be less likely to give away frees like he did on the weekend. The concern remains he's kicked 3.6 so far this season, and there reaches a point where we can't continue to player players who convert 1 out of 3.
    True, but there needs to be someone ready to replace him.
    Lipinski looks the most likely... but he did kick 0.3 in his debut game last year.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    66 shots at goal in a season is the good part of that equation. Tory would kick over 50 with the same number of opportunities - I'd gladly settle for 30-35 goals from Billy.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

13. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Hey TD, Gowers another long line of AFL Father/Sons playing for us. Picken, Dunkley, Gowers on top of Bulldog Father sons in Cordy, Libba, Wallis, Hunter and then we have Grandfather AFL sons in Richards, and coach Bevo. Did I miss anyone?
    Lin Jong? Did his dad play footy?

Cousin/cousin, the Bont and Dal Santo? Is that right?

The Rougheads, although it was Hawthorn's Roughead whose dad played for us.

Who is Billy's dad? Is it Andy from Hawthorn?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Lin Jong? Did his dad play footy?

Cousin/cousin, the Bont and Dal Santo? Is that right?

The Rougheads, although it was Hawthorn's Roughead whose dad played for us.

Who is Billy's dad? Is it Andy from Hawthorn?
    Andy Gowers, 1991 premiership player.

16. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Andy Gowers, 1991 premiership player.
    Let's hope we have another F/S from another club plays in a flag for us to go with Dunkley and Picken.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the most pleasing things, of which Gowers was a contributor, was that we actually took marks (some contested I might add!) inside our forward 50. This is not something that we have been able to do well for a long time and this is something that puts a lot of pressure on defenders.