Thanks Thanks:  37
Likes Likes:  60
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Victoria University Whitten Oval Precinct Development

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    It will be more set up for Women's football
    Still getting close to Ballarat though. Quite possible we could fit games against say the GC in with that capacity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Still getting close to Ballarat though. Quite possible we could fit games against say the GC in with that capacity.
    The AFL will never allow games at grounds like WO with such a substantial breeze. Think of the ~ o p t i c s ~.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    The AFL will never allow games at grounds like WO with such a substantial breeze. Think of the ~ o p t i c s ~.
    Cairns & Ballarat are no different
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't there some weird arrangement where AFL games can't be held at stadiums with wooden grandstands?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Isn't there some weird arrangement where AFL games can't be held at stadiums with wooden grandstands?
    Not sure what it is exactly. Someone on here might know more.

The wooden seats = old school When I’m at the Whitten Oval I always love to sit in the Whitten Stand and I think back this was buzzing in the 80s before I was born when we had great wins.

Nowadays I think we are just comfortable in the seats at the G and Marvel.
    Last edited by Eastdog; 14-02-2019 at 10:04 PM.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

The new scoreboard is big enough to affect the wind at Geelong Rd end.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post

From memory FA and the Thatcher government in England held an enquiry after the Bradford fire in 1985 and banned stadia (the correct plural form of stadium) with wooden seating from hosting matches in England. The AFL did make out that they had surveyed the grounds in the early '80s and held concerns about how a few could have been problematic if there was a fire but that had more to do with ground rationalization and getting rid of grounds like Whitten oval than any deeply held concerns about safety.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

The redevelopment of Whitten Oval is a step closer with Maribyrnong council granting the Western Bulldogs a planning permit.

At the last council meeting, the council considered the $50 million project which includes a new indoor recreation facility, museum, and playground and will increase the capacity of the function centre, car parking area, offices and retail spaces on the oval.
    This would be in addition to demolishing and replacing the existing E.J Whitten Stand, installing new light towers, and resurfacing the playing field
    Councillors granted the permit, but supported objectors’ calls to ensure that Spurling Reserve remained available to the public at all times and the continued community use of the both facilities.
    Mayor Michael Clarke says councillors could see the economic and community wellbeing benefits from the introduction of the function centre, shop and café and the addition of a basketball court and playground and improved pedestrian access to and around the site, including for those requiring disability access.
    But he said they also recognised that Spurling Reserve has played a fundamental role in providing localised open space for residents in an area which has a shortfall of publicly accessible open space.
    “We cannot support it being fenced off for car parking.”
    In granting the planning permit, council is requiring all existing car parking within Spurling Reserve, adjacent to Barkly Street, be removed.
    Council will write to the Bulldogs to explore the establishment of a community working group to formalise continued community access to Whitten Oval and Spurling Reserve.
    The Club will also be required, following the first televised matches, to submit its lighting plan to council for approval.

9. Thanks GVGjr, bornadog, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Demolishing the E.J. stand. The price of progress, bit sad though lots of memories there over the years.

11. Likes bornadog, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Demolishing the E.J. stand. The price of progress, bit sad though lots of memories there over the years.
    I remember when it was built.

I wonder what happens to the seats bought by members - they have plaques on them? ( mine included)
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder what happens to the seats bought by members - they have plaques on them? ( mine included)
    Would be worth shooting the club an email - would be nice if you could keep the plaque.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a good question, you'd hope they're somehow represented in the new stand.

Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw this photo on Facebook and agree with what many people pointed out - surely they could have taken down and preserved the signage?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I saw this photo on Facebook and agree with what many people pointed out - surely they could have taken down and preserved the signage?
    They could have preserved a lot and auctioned/sold it off to supporters. Ripping it down like that and destroying everything just seems like we're destroying history. I saw the post on Facebook as well, like you said, lots of old supporters really unhappy with what they did and that photo.