Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  9
    Post Thanks / Like

Young Dogs ruckman rises to the challenge

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-1...-the-challenge

JUST FIVE games into his promising AFL career, Tim English is embracing the challenge of being the Western Bulldogs' No. 1 ruckman.

With premiership big man Jordan Roughead resuming through the VFL this week after suffering a concussion in round two, coach Luke Beveridge will hand English the responsibility of leading the ruck division for the second successive week in Saturday's game against Sydney at Etihad Stadium.

Opposed to a more experienced Tom Bellchambers in the Dogs' win over Essendon last week, the 20-year-old played his best game so far in the red, white and blue, collecting career-highs in hit-outs (19) and possessions (17).

After showing plenty of encouraging signs in his two senior games last year while being mainly developed in the VFL, English told AFL.com.au that season of conditioning has him ready to play a bigger role in 2018.

Taken with pick 19 in the 2016 NAB AFL Draft, the West Australian looms as another valuable prize for the club winning the premiership that year.

"Being the No. 1 ruckman is a big task, but it's something I've always wanted to do," English said.

"I enjoy the challenge of playing in the ruck and I enjoy the competitive aspect with the other ruckmen at the club which drives all to be better.

"'Bevo' has been brilliant with his communication because he's been really open and honest on where I'm at, what I need to work on and all the little things I need to do within a game.

"I think (the Essendon game) was my best performance at AFL level and I gained a lot of confidence from Luke picking me as the sole ruckman.

"I'm really happy with how the season is going so far, but I hoped for a couple of more wins."

Luke Darcy knows what it takes to survive in the ruck, with the former Bulldog playing 226 games in the highly combative position for more than a decade.

Darcy had a bird's-eye view of English's performance against the Dons from the Channel Seven commentary box and says he has the attributes to be a dual-position star if his development continues at its current rate.

"I thought Tim's performance against Essendon was outstanding for someone in just their fifth game," he told AFL.com.au.

"He's still growing into his body and learning to play at AFL level, but you can see the talent that is going to make him a really, really good player.

"The thing that is so exciting about Tim English is he's 205cm, good at ground level and play forward as well.

"When that package all comes together with a bit more experience, he has the potential to be a 25-possession ruckman that can kick a few goals and dominate the hit-outs.

"I don't want to put too much pressure on Tim, but that's the future I see for him."

English is well aware ruckmen who can't have an impact around the ground and up forward are a dying breed. With Beveridge demanding flexibility from his charges, he knows that getting more proficient in attack is just as important as continuing to build his once-slight frame.

Fortunately for English, his father Jon "is a big, old farmer" in rural Western Australia.

"I've always been a bit undersized in the weight department, but I've put on 10kg since I've joined the club and I'll need to build on that further," said English, who now weighs 100kg.

"I can't just concede hit-outs, as I need to be as competitive as possible as I can be, but I do enjoy spreading from the contest and it's something the coaches like in my game.

"Being able to use my height in dual positions is really important, and if I can impact forward and in the ruck, then that's a bonus.

"Against the Giants (in round one) I played the majority of the game as a forward, which I really enjoyed because I haven't played there much, but it's something I've been really working on.

"It's been a great challenge for me."

2. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Young Dogs ruckman rises to the challenge

When that package all comes together with a bit more experience, he has the potential to be a 25-possession ruckman that can kick a few goals and dominate the hit-outs.

"I don't want to put too much pressure on Tim, but that's the future I see for him."

Yep. No pressure son. We just need you to play three different positions at once!
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

4. Likes Ghost Dog, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Surely he gets the rising star this week.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.zerohanger.com/kevin-bar...ruckman-19198/

Kevin Bartlett predicts AFL’s next number one ruckman

Richmond legend Kevin Bartlett has boldly stated that Western Bulldogs ruckman Tim English will be the game’s premier ruckman in a few years.

English has played every game for the Bulldogs as their primary ruckman this season and impressed with his development, averaging 13.2 disposals, 5.2 marks and 15.2 hitouts.

And Barlett is already commending the youngster from the potential he has shown in those four games.

“This young kid, in a few years time, we’re talking about Grundy and Naitanui now, this young kid more than likely will be the best ruckman in the competition,” Bartlett told the AFL Nation pre-game show.

“He’s got great athleticism, he’s got beautiful skills, he just needs a bit more experience and a bit more weight and size.

“In a couple of years he could be one of the absolute stars of the competition.”

English had a particularly impressive breakout performance against Sydney on Saturday, notching 24 hitouts and 16 disposals.

The young Bulldog came back from the pre-season looking much bigger and stronger. Now, his football is doing the talking and he is gaining recognition.

7. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Surely he gets the rising star this week.
    Stephenson from the Pies will if he hasnt already had one.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Stephenson from the Pies will if he hasnt already had one.
    The 5 goals will do it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

10. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The 5 goals will do it.
    And being Collingwood.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

English' chase in the dying seconds of the game (chasing Florent) has been getting some mentions - so you'd think it will get some air time on the shows tonight.

Longmire mentioned it in his post game, saying that English must be fast because Florent is certainly fast. And Nick Dal Santo was talking about it on SEN this morning.

13. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Likes WBFC4FFC, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    English' chase in the dying seconds of the game (chasing Florent) has been getting some mentions - so you'd think it will get some air time on the shows tonight.

Longmire mentioned it in his post game, saying that English must be fast because Florent is certainly fast. And Nick Dal Santo was talking about it on SEN this morning.
    Mentioned in a positive or negative light? I certainly hope positive. I did hear about a disgruntled dogs fan have a go at him in the heat of the moment. It was a terrific chase from Tim. Any other ruckman would have been left for dead.

15. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Mentioned in a positive or negative light? I certainly hope positive. I did hear about a disgruntled dogs fan have a go at him in the heat of the moment. It was a terrific chase from Tim. Any other ruckman would have been left for dead.
    How could it not be positive? How on earth could a supporter have a go at the chase?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Very positive.
    Dal Santo was saying that it should be the first thing shown in the review with the players - dying seconds of the game and the 2 metre plus ruckman is genuinely chasing one of the fastest players on the ground. Dal Santo was basically saying that it doesn't matter that he didn't catch him - but that the chase was an indication of mindset and that it would be easy for a ruckman in that situation not to chase as hard as that.

And as I said, Longmire was just impressed at English's pace given what he knows of Florent's pace.

Remarkable that people around you at the ground would make a negative comment about it.

18. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Very positive.
    Dal Santo was saying that it should be the first thing shown in the review with the players - dying seconds of the game and the 2 metre plus ruckman is genuinely chasing one of the fastest players on the ground. Dal Santo was basically saying that it doesn't matter that he didn't catch him - but that the chase was an indication of mindset and that it would be easy for a ruckman in that situation not to chase as hard as that.

And as I said, Longmire was just impressed at English's pace given what he knows of Florent's pace.

Remarkable that people around you at the ground would make a negative comment about it.
    Wasn't me personally but another supporter mentioned that a dogs supporter behind him had a crack at English for not catching him. This was right after the play and probably out of frustration but nevertheless pathetic behaviour from the fan.

I was so proud of Tim in that chase. He's coming along so well and hopefully his chase sets the tone for the game this weekend.

On another note, once Tim starts making his physical presence felt he will be extremely hard to stop. At the moment i feel he shies away from physical contact a bit. In marking contests for example he can sometimes position his body to avoid contact. Understandably his frame is still slight, especially compared to other ruckmen, but given timei hope he can overcome this.