Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  38
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 10, 2018 vs Collingwood

Don't take this as me defending Dale's game on Friday night....but there is far more to the defensive side of the game than tackle numbers.

Scrolling to the bottom of the tackle count and saying 'players with x number of tackles or less should be dropped' - is the laziest analysis imaginable. Locking up a player who is going nowhere anyway from a stoppage gives you a tackle - whereas making 2 or 3 efforts to pressure opposition disposal is more important than what gets credited at repeat stoppages.

2. Likes Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    Just need to remember that Morris looked cooked by the end of last season. He was getting beaten in a lot of contests he would normally win. The game can pass you by quickly at his age so there should not be huge expectations on him after 1 game in the 2's.
    Just need to remember that his ankle was *!*!*!*!ed and he shouldn't have been playing.

Post Thanks / Like

It would be nice to see us actually develop a young talented key forward like Schache, even though he isn't 110% physically ready.

We seem to 'hold off' on key position players (mainly forwards) who are less physically developed and yet happy to throw in under developed backs or mids in the past.

Please - FFS - play Schache and just develop him. If he gets 2 touches, play him again the next week. Just develop him.

5. Likes bornadog, chef, ratsmac, S Coast Simon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    It would be nice to see us actually develop a young talented key forward like Schache, even though he isn't 110% physically ready.

We seem to 'hold off' on key position players (mainly forwards) who are less physically developed and yet happy to throw in under developed backs or mids in the past.

Please - FFS - play Schache and just develop him. If he gets 2 touches, play him again the next week. Just develop him.
    The question is if he's better off in the AFL or VFL at this time for his development. He's performing well at VFL level without dominating so given his history a little time to build confidence rather than throwing him in the deep end might be better long term. I also have no idea what the correct answer is and am really just guessing.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing to note re Schache in the VFL - for the last few games where two other ruckman have been available, he hasn't rucked at all (i.e. since Campbell/Roughy returned).

This suggests to me he is being developed more as a KF than how Bevo views Boyd's role.
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

8. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smads57 View Post
    One thing to note re Schache in the VFL - for the last few games where two other ruckman have been available, he hasn't rucked at all (i.e. since Campbell/Roughy returned).

This suggests to me he is being developed more as a KF than how Bevo views Boyd's role.
    Bevo has had no choice to try and develop Boyd in the second ruck role with Roughy injured at times, Campbell not up to AFL level and English still learning. What else could we do?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Dale was putrid Friday Night but I would keep him in due to it being at Etihad and us needing his type. Another sub par performance and I would give him a spell at Footscray.

I thought Roughy was actually okay on Friday however I am worried about going too tall against Collingwood. They only have one real tall forward in Cox and he rotates through the ruck. I would have Zaine down back with Wood and Moz (if fit enough) as flexi defenders. Trengove to play a defensive ruck role vs Grundy.

Ins- Moz, Biggs
    Out- Roughy, Crozier

11. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Bevo has had no choice to try and develop Boyd in the second ruck role with Roughy injured at times, Campbell not up to AFL level and English still learning. What else could we do?
    Throw players like Dunkley into the ruck?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Don't take this as me defending Dale's game on Friday night....but there is far more to the defensive side of the game than tackle numbers.

Scrolling to the bottom of the tackle count and saying 'players with x number of tackles or less should be dropped' - is the laziest analysis imaginable. Locking up a player who is going nowhere anyway from a stoppage gives you a tackle - whereas making 2 or 3 efforts to pressure opposition disposal is more important than what gets credited at repeat stoppages.
    Agreed.

Bevo made a point of acknowledging some of his defensive and pressure work the week prior, so don't think he'd get dropped on the basis of 0 tackles. At the moment he needs to do more to find the ball and hurt the opposition though.

If he does play this week, I'd like to see him play as a small-medium marking target in the F50 where he's proven to be smart with his leading and creating separation.

I also wouldn't be adverse to him spending a few weeks in the VFL midfield and getting leather poisoning.

Post Thanks / Like

Boyd played first ruck on Friday night even with Roughead in the side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Boyd played first ruck on Friday night even with Roughead in the side.
    You missed the point of the post
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

You missed the point of the post
    Just goes to show you how bad Roughead is going and the fact that Bevo see's Boyd as a Ruck/Forward. Its pretty clear.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone reckon we'll put Dicko straight back in. A hard leading forward who finishes must surely be tempting and he's only missed 4 weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Given our season already has a fork in it and Schache's moderately encouraging efforts at the lower grade, just get him into the bigs and gradually more acclimated with the blokes we want him playing with.

Who knows, with Schache and Dickson up forward we may even double our our goal tally from last round.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

19. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

DOGS LIKELY TO WAIT ON MORRIS

CHRIS CAVANAGH reports from Whitten Oval ...

WESTERN Bulldogs veteran Dale Morris has been all but ruled out of Friday night’s clash with Collingwood after pulling up sore in his return to the field in the VFL on Sunday.

Morris gathered 14 disposals for Footscray in his first game since partially rupturing his anterior cruciate ligament at training in late February.

Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge said while the soreness out of the game was “nothing major” it meant the defender was unlikely to return to the AFL side against Collingwood as originally hoped and instead could play in the VFL again on Saturday.

“He’s a bit sore, so unlikely to be considered this week,” Beveridge said.

“It’s a five-day turnaround from the VFL. We’ll see how he comes up for Saturday. But he felt his way through the game and he’s been out for a while, so we’ve got to make sure he’s totally right before we bring him into the AFL scene.

“(We were) probably hoping that he’d pull up a little bit better. It’s still early. He only played two days ago. He says he’s a lot better today than he was yesterday so hopefully as the week rolls on he continues to improve and if he’s cherry ripe he’ll definitely play VFL level.”

Beveridge said fellow defender Marcus Adams, who returned from an ankle injury through the VFL on Sunday, pulled up well but will take “a little while to find his form” while forward Tory Dickson has overcome a hamstring injury and “may have a run Friday night” against the Magpies.

21. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post