Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  81
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fixing our ****ing awful goal kicking

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    We’ve kicked 164 goals 178 behinds for the year. The worst ratio in the AFL.
    Geelong have had 339 shots and are on top. Big difference when you nail those shots.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Schache has a beautiful and effective kicking action. His hips are square at impact but his left foot follow through is pronouncedly powerful and across his body which guarantees some left to right ball movement. He starts th ball just inside of left post and it moves reliably to the middle. Matt Lloyd just called it the best action he's ever seen.
    On the call for a psych I have no doubt it would help with set shots. Same as golfers. Both are deliberate actions that need the brain to have thw right attitude free of fear. Top level golfers have psych's. One thing is to simply dismiss any negate thought that enters your brain whilst setting up and replace it with a positive. You can see the fear in players missing set shots.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Straight kicking for goal played a big part in the win against Port who seemed to copy our often used formula of making easy shots look vastly harder than they should

Makes you wonder how in those conditions we put in a good performance but under a roof in pristine conditions we find a way to struggle.
    16 scoring shots each last night. It comes down to technique. If you are walking back to take a shot at goal and you are comfortable with your technique then it's one less thing you have to worry about. But if you are walking back thinking "*!*!*!*!, I am going to miss this" then you are more than likely going to miss it.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    16 scoring shots each last night. It comes down to technique. If you are walking back to take a shot at goal and you are comfortable with your technique then it's one less thing you have to worry about. But if you are walking back thinking "*!*!*!*!, I am going to miss this" then you are more than likely going to miss it.
    Flaws in technique typically get exposed in the more difficult conditions so it doesn't really explain why we miss so many at Marvel and looked steady last night.
    I think it's a combination of concentration and technique and once we solve that we will be a force again
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Flaws in technique typically get exposed in the more difficult conditions so it doesn't really explain why we miss so many at Marvel and looked steady last night.
    I think it's a combination of concentration and technique and once we solve that we will be a force again
    Technique involves concentration though. When you walk back to your mark you should be emptying your mind of anything that isn't important/relevant to the task. Take a deep breath, clear your brain and relax, then stick your head over the ball and kick through it. It's not rocket science, I genuinely believe that it's it's only as complicated as players want it to be.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Schache , Dickson and Lloyd are very accurate shots, we need to get it in their hands not blaze away Willy Nilly.
    we need to get them to teach the others. Should only take them a couple of days. Then Dunkley will simply be bad and not the worst set shot at goal that I have ever seen.

Post Thanks / Like

For what its worth Daniel Hoyne from Champion Data said we took our opportunities where as the power did not.

Using the stat Expected Scores final scores should've been

Power 75
    Dogs 57

He also said during the week Dogs have lost two games by missing goals they should have kicked and if they had've converted we would be sitting equal 8th.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

8. Thanks Eastdog, boydogs thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Just saturate Marvel before we run out next week. Of all the weeks to kick accurately it was in the wet.
    Give me the hose
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

10. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    we need to get them to teach the others. Should only take them a couple of days. Then Dunkley will simply be bad and not the worst set shot at goal that I have ever seen.
    Dunkley lobs it , so does Libba but we never see Libba with a set shot .
    It’s like batting if you don’t have time to think about it you use your instinct option which is isually the right one.
    Once your having a set shot you don’t use your natural instinct you have time to think and stuff it up .
    The three players I mention are all set shot beauties and you can see it the way they go about it, always the same natural instinct.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Schache , Dickson and Lloyd are very accurate shots, we need to get it in their hands not blaze away Willy Nilly.
    Not sure I agree on Lloyd - at least in our colours. He’s kicked 22.18 for the club. That’s pretty ordinary.
    Schache’s kicked 28.14 and Dickson an amazing 171.58

In fact, Dicko has the most accurate/best conversion rate of any VFL/AFL player with 150+ goals in history. He’s a freak... and yet we’re the least accurate team in the league..!

Interestingly, Lloyd’s conversion rate at Richmond was 65%, but with us it’s only a bit above 50%.... maybe it’s our game plan or structure..? Maybe it’s a tipping point affect of tram insccuracy building pressure on everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure I agree on Lloyd - at least in our colours. He’s kicked 22.18 for the club. That’s pretty ordinary.
    Schache’s kicked 28.14 and Dickson an amazing 171.58

In fact, Dicko has the most accurate/best conversion rate of any VFL/AFL player with 150+ goals in history. He’s a freak... and yet we’re the least accurate team in the league..!

Interestingly, Lloyd’s conversion rate at Richmond was 65%, but with us it’s only a bit above 50%.... maybe it’s our game plan or structure..? Maybe it’s a tipping point affect of tram insccuracy building pressure on everyone.
    I’m talking set shots .. you can’t really use stats as in play as players could be under pressure or having them from angles, unless you look at where each shot is from.
    Set shots are a choice by the player to have a shot and the confidence to kick it.
    The three I mention on set shots are the ones who I would most have the confidence in, saying that ,Bont actually wouldn’t be so good as he tends to have a lot of set shots from 50 out as he doesn’t play a deep forward much . But I don’t think he would miss many in closer range.
    Stats don’t tell the whole truth.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

I m sure I mentioned it earlier in this thread, I still think our set shot misses are all in the players heads. We have missed so many times that players are over thinking and worrying they will miss. We have to get over the psychological factors.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I m sure I mentioned it earlier in this thread, I still think our set shot misses are all in the players heads. We have missed so many times that players are over thinking and worrying they will miss. We have to get over the psychological factors.
    It’s not just our club that has the problem it seems to be where the game is at at the moment.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

I’m talking set shots .. you can’t really use stats as in play as players could be under pressure or having them from angles, unless you look at where each shot is from.
    Set shots are a choice by the player to have a shot and the confidence to kick it.
    The three I mention on set shots are the ones who I would most have the confidence in, saying that ,Bont actually wouldn’t be so good as he tends to have a lot of set shots from 50 out as he doesn’t play a deep forward much . But I don’t think he would miss many in closer range.
    Stats don’t tell the whole truth.
    I am talking set shots and just using stats as an indicator to support the core point. Lloyd came with a reputation for being a good set shot, but has underwhelmed from that viewpoint. When he lines up a set shot, I’m not trusting him anywhere near to the level I trust Dickson, Schache and even Naughton and Wallis. I’d like to see improvement.

Post Thanks / Like

I am talking set shots and just using stats as an indicator to support the core point. Lloyd came with a reputation for being a good set shot, but has underwhelmed from that viewpoint. When he lines up a set shot, I’m not trusting him anywhere near to the level I trust Dickson, Schache and even Naughton and Wallis. I’d like to see improvement.
    I trust him more than Naughton. Naughton's not really reliable. The other three are.