Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  81
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fixing our ****ing awful goal kicking

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    All this talk about players needing a psychologist etc are rubbish. Plenty of players have sought psychologists and it’s done nothing - unsurprisingly.

How many modern day players actually practice as much as Dunstall or Lockett or even Fevola? I’d answer none would be anywhere near them.
    They don't necessarily need a psychologist, but the importance of the mental aspect of sport (and gaining control over it) is nothing to be sneezed at. This is neither a well kept secret nor a new concept.

I'd be interested to see you cite some case studies or some other actual evidence of these plenty of players who have received no benefit from psychologists. Maybe you could also use your level 100 access to confidential information to have a closer look to see if there are other players who have.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Yes I did. Getting a quality person and workhorse like Cross for two years was an outstanding decision.

I remember that story as well.

I also remember a story about her sleeping on the couch for a month while Daniel was hooked up to a special icing machine every night to help recover from an injury.

Daniel is a very lucky man.

And he is still at Melbourne. I hope our club is doing everything to bring him home.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    The thought of Brad Scott being an 'innovator' by going back to the future gets me riled as well, but you can't argue its effectiveness.

Could you imagine a Sports Science boffin telling Daniel Cross to stop training when he was playing. They'd get a swift GAGF from the man. All he ever did was train, right down to his (extraordinarily supportive) partner hiding a football in a random kitchen cupboard every day.

What's the story about his partner hiding a footy in a cupboard? I missed that one.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    What's the story about his partner hiding a footy in a cupboard? I missed that one.
    Not sure about the full story but Crossy got her to do that so when he opened the cupboard the ball would fall out. He said this helped his reflexes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Not sure about the full story but Crossy got her to do that so when he opened the cupboard the ball would fall out. He said this helped his reflexes.

That makes sense. Thanks B4L.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm surprised you didn't know this one.

As B4L rightly said she'd slot a football into a different cupboard every day and he'd catch it as it bobbled out.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the players must be reading this. I apologise we've been vague. You don't fix your Horris goal kicking by not having any shots, you still have the shots but more accurate ones. Hope that clears things up.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I think the players must be reading this. I apologise we've been vague. You don't fix your Horris goal kicking by not having any shots, you still have the shots but more accurate ones. Hope that clears things up.

Who's Horris? Rumpole of the Bailey was called Horace, is it a Scottish or Gaelic variation on that?

Or are you invoking the name of the 1920s Carlton forward Horrie Clover?

Post Thanks / Like

Who's Horris? Rumpole of the Bailey was called Horace, is it a Scottish or Gaelic variation on that?

Or are you invoking the name of the 1920s Carlton forward Horrie Clover?
    Bloody auto correct. Horrid. After 15th century murderer, Horrid the goal kicker.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

10. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know I sound like a broken record on this but this was a major factor in why we lost the game yesterday. We did a lot right and our pressure on the Pies was very good. We didn’t concede over 100 points so it was a much better game from our defence yesterday. 10.13 for us 23 scoring shots to 13.4 to them 17 scoring shots. If we can turn some of those points into goals there is the game. It is such an important part of the game yet we seem to struggle with it. We are capable of scoring 15/16 goals in games but need more consistency with it.
    Last edited by Eastdog; 24-06-2019 at 02:49 PM.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

12. Likes bornadog, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We simply have to open the chequebook and get Anthony Rocca into the club for the upcoming pre-season. If he can fix Casbault, he can fix anybody.

Quality guy off field to boot.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

14. Likes Dry Rot, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We’ve kicked 164 goals 178 behinds for the year. The worst ratio in the AFL.

It’s not just the stat that is alarming, it’s also where we’re missing them from. Easy set shots - as opposed to an abundance of rushed behinds etc.

We’ve had less shots than our opposition in only four of fourteen games. So I’d contend that 10 of our 14 games were very winnable if we were accurate.

Had we kicked as accurately as we did at Port (in torrential conditions...!) throughout the season and we’d be top four, making finals.

We need to play J Schache if only to get the ball into his hands. He’s kicked 11.3 for the year (6 games.) in a team that’s kicked 164.178....! It’s very refreshing (and rewarding to have someone (who’s not Dicko) capable of reliably slotting a set shot. It makes a huge difference in releasing pressure from everyone else.

From rounds 1-15 in order:
    27 shots to 20. Kicked 11.16 & won
    26 shots to 22. Kicked 10.16 & won
    23 shots to 23. Kicked 9.14 & lost
    19 shots to 23. Kicked 9.10 & lost
    22 shots to 26. Kicked 7.15 & lost
    24 shots to 23. Kicked 9.15 & lost
    24 shots to 17. Kicked 15.9 & won
    27 shots to 21. Kicked 13.14 & won
    24 shots to 28. Kicked 13.11 & lost
    25 shots to 25. Kicked 13.12 & lost
    22 shots to 28. Kicked 10.12 & lost
    28 shots to 25. Kicked 15.13 & won
    23 shots to 17. Kicked 10.13 & lost
    16 shots to 16. Kicked 10.6 and won!!!

16. Thanks bornadog, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just saturate Marvel before we run out next week. Of all the weeks to kick accurately it was in the wet.

18. Likes Twodogs, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Schache , Dickson and Lloyd are very accurate shots, we need to get it in their hands not blaze away Willy Nilly.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Straight kicking for goal played a big part in the win against Port who seemed to copy our often used formula of making easy shots look vastly harder than they should

Makes you wonder how in those conditions we put in a good performance but under a roof in pristine conditions we find a way to struggle.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"