Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  81
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fixing our ****ing awful goal kicking

Golfers will work for hours on end to perfect the swing or putt even straight after the round. What's so different with football.
    If I was a pro footballer with these issues I would seek out help and put the time in.
    Maybe it's a generational thing.....
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I can't believe the crap that I am reading from previous captains of the club:
    Is Murphy saying we don't want to instill negative thoughts into players kicking for goals? Please tell me Bob what the opposition players who are standing on the mark are saying to our players? Surely we need to simulate match conditions to overcome the problem.
    Pretty sure Murph was talking about the mindsets players should have when approaching their shots for goal, not that you can't ever say anything negative to them

Post Thanks / Like

GVGjr, you need to listen to the podcast ( freedom in a cage) and what Murphy was talking about in relation to his own goal kicking and how he overcame the issues he had.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe the crap that I am reading from previous captains of the club:
    Is Murphy saying we don't want to instill negative thoughts into players kicking for goals? Please tell me Bob what the opposition players who are standing on the mark are saying to our players? Surely we need to simulate match conditions to overcome the problem.

*!*!*!*!ing place kicks are being suggested by Brad Johnson to improve accuracy for the competition, surely someone is taking the piss. Perhaps we need to start using the old stab pass to help players who have difficulties marking the high ball?

If what I'm reading is even remotely serious, the conclusion I draw is many players are fragile souls who can't handle the consequences of owning their own destiny and mastering a simple skill and there is a consensus that the game is highly complex and the players can't cope with the demands.

So why are they getting so highly paid if it's all too much for them?

Hard work, focus and some application will fix the issue, oh I forgot no one likes the hard work any more.

Murph's point wasnt really about negative thoughts, it was more one part of the process he went through when lining up for goal. He talked about not turning your back on what's happening up the field and making sure you know where the mark is so the man standing it can't play any silly buggers like encroaching or stepping back.

The thing about missing was some advice he got from an older player (I think from another club but I can't remember who) who mentioned the thing about "first thing is don't say "don't miss this" because all they will hear you say is "miss this" and it's counter productive. If you say something like "go back and kick it" it's better than mentioning to them that you think they will miss it. It wasn't exactly Kum ba ya stuff.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have the technique down pat and you are confident in your abilities because you train the right way then that is what should be between their ears.
    Players on the mark are always telling other players how useless they are and offering advice where they should kick it to distract them
    Visualisation and positive self-talk are not only not new concepts, but they have absolutely been proven to be critical for individuals performing at their best. I remember seeing a documentary that talked to a range of athletes at the highest level and there was everything from netballers who visualised the ball going in before they shot it, to a swimmer who was swimming the English Channel who visualised the jellyfish that were stinging her as adoring fans as a mental way to block out the pain and help drive her.

I also remember seeing a marathon (I believe it was the Olympics) where a spectator ran out and hugged the bloke who was leading (by quite some way) late in the race. It disrupted his mental process (whereby they go into almost a meditation like state in order to block out their screaming bodies) and sort of brought him back to reality. After the disruption (which was only a matter of seconds before the bloke was brushed aside) he wasn’t able to get back to his mental space and almost ground to a halt. It was like he suddenly realised how much agony and fatigue he had and couldn’t block it out and push through it, whereas before the interruption he was powering along effortlessly.

Maybe, aside maybe some extra kicking practice, the key is to have a close look at our sports psychologists and our work in that space. It seems we have an epidemic and the anxiety faced by our players when kicking at goal is obvious.

6. Likes hujsh, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Visualisation helps to get you 'in the zone'. If you haven't been in the zone yourself, you may be cynical but when you're in it, you are at your best and aren't distracted.
    When Jack Nichlaus made a crucial putt and was later asked how he overcame the distraction of a helicopter landing nearby, he said "What helicopter?"
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Visualisation helps to get you 'in the zone'. If you haven't been in the zone yourself, you may be cynical but when you're in it, you are at your best and aren't distracted.
    When Jack Nichlaus made a crucial putt and was later asked how he overcame the distraction of a helicopter landing nearby, he said "What helicopter?"
    That's what the deep breath at the top of the mark is for. It relaxes you and starts the process of (hopefully) getting you into the zone.

Post Thanks / Like

We will need to take our chances to be any chance of winning tomorrow night.
    Here’s how our main goal kickers are going this year (just goals/behinds - out on the full or not scoring not included).

Gowers: 12.8
    Bontempelli: 10.7
    Lipinski: 8.0
    Dunkley: 7.8
    Dale: 6.10
    McLean: 6.8
    Wallis: 5.2
    Macrae: 5.4
    Boyd: 4.3

Other notables;
    Suckling 2.8
    Hunter 3.6
    Daniel 3.4
    JJ - 2.4

10. Thanks bornadog, Bulldog4life, Dry Rot thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    We will need to take our chances to be any chance of winning tomorrow night.
    Here’s how our main goal kickers are going this year (just goals/behinds - out on the full or not scoring not included).

Gowers: 12.8
    Bontempelli: 10.7
    Lipinski: 8.0
    Dunkley: 7.8
    Dale: 6.10
    McLean: 6.8
    Wallis: 5.2
    Macrae: 5.4
    Boyd: 4.3

Other notables;
    Suckling 2.8
    Hunter 3.6
    Daniel 3.4
    JJ - 2.4
    Game plan:
    1, Anyone about to take a set shot fakes injury.
    2, Make sure Lipinski is the closest player.
    3, Lipinski scores goal.
    4, Bulldogs win.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't checked, but how accurate are Adelaide?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I haven't checked, but how accurate are Adelaide?
    Very. Second in the league behind Hawthorn.

They seem to have super accurate patches that put games out of reach too. The exact thing we lack (that sees us lose touch or keeps our opponents in games).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    Very. Second in the league behind Hawthorn.

They seem to have super accurate patches that put games out of reach too. The exact thing we lack (that sees us lose touch or keeps our opponents in games).
    Oh terrific. We aren't vulnerable to letting other teams do that either.

Post Thanks / Like

It's hard to believe some of these guys are professionals. You could give someone who'd never seen the sport before an instruction manual of how to kick a goal and they'd be just as likely to kick a goal from 20m out than half our list.

It's a good thing it's not important.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

16. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    It's hard to believe some of these guys are professionals. You could give someone who'd never seen the sport before an instruction manual of how to kick a goal and they'd be just as likely to kick a goal from 20m out than half our list.

It's a good thing it's not important.
    Not to us, obviously. 7.1 would be a handy score.

Post Thanks / Like

2 goals = 12 points
    14 points = 14 points

More points from behinds than goals. FFS. Leaving aside 2 less scoring shots for a 37 point loss.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023