Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  81
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fixing our ****ing awful goal kicking

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    2 goals = 12 points
    14 points = 14 points

More points from behinds than goals. FFS. Leaving aside 2 less scoring shots for a 37 point loss.
    Doesn’t matter though.

In Bevo we trust.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, let’s sack Bevo I get it we’re frustrated, but let’s not get all Facebook or big footy

3. Likes Funke disco liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Doesn’t matter though.

In Bevo we trust.
    To be overly simplistic:

- the coaching & training is sufficient, or
    - a lot of players are passed redeeming and simply cannot do this basic/essential game winning skill, so we need to move many on

There's now too much data and history to write the occasional bad conversion off as an oddity. And it keeps happening.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Yes, let’s sack Bevo I get it we’re frustrated, but let’s not get all Facebook or big footy
    Don’t recall anyone mentioning that?

I do recall Bevo talking about fixing our skill issues when he first came but right now we are still worse than any other side at butchering the ball.

Post Thanks / Like

I do recall Bevo talking about fixing our skill issues when he first came but right now we are still worse than any other side at butchering the ball.
    True. Something like if you can't kick off both feet you won't play.

That got thrown out pretty quick.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Stkilda , Brisbane , Carlton , are worse . Not saying it isn’t a serious issue, but it isn’t the worst in the comp .
    Gotta get a hell of a lot better than we’re dishing up .

8. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

True. Something like if you can't kick off both feet you won't play.

That got thrown out pretty quick.
    Most afl players aren’t proficient on both sides in this era .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Most afl players aren’t proficient on both sides in this era .
    I didn't say that if they can't kick off both feet they won't get played, Bevo did. Don't hold those comments against me.

Post Thanks / Like

To be overly simplistic:

- the coaching & training is sufficient, or
    - a lot of players are passed redeeming and simply cannot do this basic/essential game winning skill, so we need to move many on

There's now too much data and history to write the occasional bad conversion off as an oddity. And it keeps happening.
    I agree to a point. And I am a massive Bevo supporter.
    However the whole football department has to own this predicament we're in.
    We've continued to invest in players that have significant skill flaws, but we insist upon persisting with a strategy contingent upon precise skill execution, coupled with aggressive posturing in defense.

So when we miss shots on goal that we should get more often than not or turnover the ball in situations where we should reasonably expect not to.. our aggressively postured defense gets caught out..

Do we can lament the player performance or we can ask we why we continue to draft and trade for players with clear deficiencies in the areas our strategy requires elite attributes in?

12. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I agree to a point. And I am a massive Bevo supporter.
    However the whole football department has to own this predicament we're in.
    We've continued to invest in players that have significant skill flaws, but seem to insist upon persisting with a strategy contingent upon precise skill execurion coupled with aaggressive posturing in defense.

So when we miss shots on goal that we should get more often than not or turnover the ball in situations where we should reasonably expect not to.. our aggressively postured defense gets caught out..

Do we can lament the player performance or we can ask we why we continue to draft and trade for players with clear deficiencies in the areas our strategy requires elite attributes in?
    This I think is one of the best conversations/threads we could have. It's the million dollar question, with I'm guessing interesting views all round.

14. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fogarty is a clear case in point.
    We've missed a trick in not posturing our trade period around acquiring him in the wake of Stringer's known exit.
    This is not a shot at Richards either. He's going to be very good.
    But i contend we were so worried about the football world's perspective on trying to win the PR campaign over Stringer's departure that it negatively impacted our trade period and in turn hobbled our draft options.

I am not bullish on Shache's prospects ..yet from early in the trade period I had the feeling he was our plan B if we were unable to secure an outright top 10 pick for Stringer.

I think we felt that when that premium draft pick wasn't going to materialise for Jake,we blinked and decided to try and deal at the last minute to secure Shache and 'sell the hype' of 'Hey we lost Stringer, but we got the guy who went pick two a couple of years ago woo hoo!'

I think whilst less sexy, we should've prioritised parlaying Stringer's departure into ensuring we addressed list needs as the premium.

Taking Essendon's pick 11 and giving up our second round would've allowed us to take Naughton and Fogarty or Fogarty and Richards. Fogarty's selection seems a logical addressing of our skill issues.
    As good as either Naughton or Richards will be I'd take a natural finisher like Fogarty. Because it's what we most lack and what our game plan screams out for.

16. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Fogarty is a clear case in point.
    We've missed a trick in not posturing our trade period around acquiring him in the wake of Stringer's known exit.
    This is not a shot at Richards either. He's going to be very good.
    But i contend we were so worried about the football world's perspective on trying to win the PR campaign over Stringer's departure that it negatively impacted our trade period and in turn hobbled our draft options.

I am not bullish on Shache's prospects ..yet from early in the trade period I had the feeling he was our plan B if we were unable to secure an outright top 10 pick for Stringer.

I think we felt that when that premium draft pick wasn't going to materialise for Jake,we blinked and decided to try and deal at the last minute to secure Shache and 'sell the hype' of 'Hey we lost Stringer, but we got the guy who went pick two a couple of years ago woo hoo!'

I think whilst less sexy, we should've prioritised parlaying Stringer's departure into ensuring we addressed list needs as the premium.

Taking Essendon's pick 11 and giving up our second round would've allowed us to take Naughton and Fogarty or Fogarty and Richards. Fogarty's selection seems a logical addressing of our skill issues.
    As good as either Naughton or Richards will be I'd take a natural finisher like Fogarty. Because it's what we most lack and what our game plan screams out for.
    Pick 11 was never on the table for Stringer according to Dodo
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Pick 11 was never on the table for Stringer according to Dodo
    It was for a swap of a 2nd round pick wasnt it. I thought that was announced early in the trade period, prior to the Injector's uding it on Devon Smith.
    I will also own up to being dismissive of that outcome too.
    But in hindsight as an outsider i reckon my discontent would've been mollified pretty quickly, if it had led tp us getting Fogarty, based on what has unfolded thus far.
    I know 20/20 i hindsight

Post Thanks / Like

Just a quirk I noticed- almost everyone seemed to be drilling goals from everywhere in the warmup. Sure this was before the weather really set in again but there seemed to be only a handful of misses and most players didn’t miss more than one.
    Most players.
    There was one player that I did notice that seemed to be disproportionately inaccurate. Who? The bloke we played at FF most of the night (JJ).

Post Thanks / Like

Think I will skip footy this week erm....
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus