Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  81
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fixing our ****ing awful goal kicking

"We're down the ladder but we're fourth or fifth for the amount of inside 50s that we generate," Beveridge said.

The longer we continue to hang our hats on this, the more frequently I'll be reaching for Plough's spew bucket from this point on.

Fine if it's purely for public consumption but if this isn't one of the fiercest internal issues we're trying like Christ to remedy we're out to lunch.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

2. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    It was for a swap of a 2nd round pick wasnt it. I thought that was announced early in the trade period, prior to the Injector's uding it on Devon Smith.
    I will also own up to being dismissive of that outcome too.
    But in hindsight as an outsider i reckon my discontent would've been mollified pretty quickly, if it had led tp us getting Fogarty, based on what has unfolded thus far.
    I know 20/20 i hindsight
    I think you are right. Irrespective, I'm not sure Fogarty over Richards would be a better long term outcome - Richards is a great ball user and decision maker in a team crying out for that.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Goal kicking has been an issue at the club for a few years now. Last week we had Wallis miss a set shot from 35mtrs out on a slight angle for a right foot kick. The next quarter Charlie Cameron from an almost identical spot decides to kick it with his opposite foot and nails it. That bold play was done by a player who knows his ability and knows what works best for him.

I still maintain hard work and probably an improved technique will overcome the challenge or at least improve things. If I was a player, let alone one on the fringe of selection and perhaps a candidate to be delisted, I'd be practicing in my own time and seeking out assistance if necessary. There is no way I'd allow my career to be put in jeopardy because I hadn't overcome the equivalent of the goal kicking yips. Given the short shelf life of so many players they need to manage own their own careers.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

5. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I didn't say that if they can't kick off both feet they won't get played, Bevo did. Don't hold those comments against me.
    Probably a silly thing to say from bevo .You’d have three players playing per team if you only picked guys proficient on both sides .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Goal kicking has been an issue at the club for a few years now. Last week we had Wallis miss a set shot from 35mtrs out on a slight angle for a right foot kick. The next quarter Charlie Cameron from an almost identical spot decides to kick it with his opposite foot and nails it. That bold play was done by a player who knows his ability and knows what works best for him.

I still maintain hard work and probably an improved technique will overcome the challenge or at least improve things. If I was a player, let alone one on the fringe of selection and perhaps a candidate to be delisted, I'd be practicing in my own time and seeking out assistance if necessary. There is no way I'd allow my career to be put in jeopardy because I hadn't overcome the equivalent of the goal kicking yips. Given the short shelf life of so many players they need to manage own their own careers.
    The trouble is the sports science people control everything these players do. The whole training, practising skills, gym work etc needs to be looked at and goal kicking practise needs to be part of it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The trouble is the sports science people control everything these players do. The whole training, practising skills, gym work etc needs to be looked at and goal kicking practise needs to be part of it.
    I know it's a real thing, but the concept of a sports science guy recommending a footballer not kick the ball too much does my head in. Managing workloads, running levels, contact and collisions at training etc is understandble, but static kicking?

Maybe I'm being naive, but imagine a sports scientist contacting Bevo after Macrae racks up his 40th disposal before 3QT and counselling that he needs to ease up on his disposal rate....

Post Thanks / Like

If the club isn't doing enough to fix my goal kicking conversion issue and it's got the potential to cost me my career in a high paying industry and something that I love doing then I'd do what ever it takes to make the adjustment. Ben Brown takes a heap of shots at goal and has improved his accuracy so I'd follow that lead.

I think the sports science excuse is a crock. An extra 20 minutes twice per week could make all the difference especially in the off season.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    If the club isn't doing enough to fix my goal kicking conversion issue and it's got the potential to cost me my career in a high paying industry and something that I love doing then I'd do what ever it takes to make the adjustment. Ben Brown takes a heap of shots at goal and has improved his accuracy so I'd follow that lead.

I think the sports science excuse is a crock. An extra 20 minutes twice per week could make all the difference especially in the off season.
    Absolutely. If you are hiring people who are advising your footballers not to play football then you are hiring the wrong people. Surely?

The solution is to grab a couple of footys and a teammate and go down to the park and have shots there. Like everyone else does.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Absolutely. If you are hiring people who are advising your footballers not to play football then you are hiring the wrong people. Surely?

The solution is to grab a couple of footys and a teammate and go down to the park and have shots there. Like everyone else does.
    Pretty sure it is the same at every club, except North who have changed things around.

I don't think it is right, but if you read MJP's post on what players do during the week, you get a better understand of it. ( need to find his post)

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

We need to devote a session solely on kicking the ball through the big sticks. This is such a vital part of the game. I'm aware though now that the sport science people don't recommend of it.
    Last edited by Eastdog; 19-05-2018 at 04:19 PM.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    We need to devote a session solely on kicking the ball through the big sticks. This is such a vital part of the game. I'm aware though now that the spirt science people don't recommend of it.
    Nothing to do with not recommending it. It's the availability of time after completing their training runs, gym work, recovery sessions etc. It should be included as part of training, but most of the training is taken up on practising strategy and game plans.

14. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing to do with not recommending it. It's the availability of time after completing their training runs, gym work, recovery sessions etc. It should be included as part of training, but most of the training is taken up on practising strategy and game plans.
    Insanity defined: Spending your time on a game plan strategy that the players don't have the skills to actually execute against decent teams.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Tactics are huge today compared to what it was. Back in the old days I believe there were lot good coaches who were great managers of players but not so much on the tactics. 20-25 years ago the goalkicking was a lot better today needs to get back to that. The question is what is the best way to do it.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

It's a skill component mostly which GVG, BAD and Twodogs have provided the most simple and effective resolution. It is so frustrating that our footy dept appear to be stead fast, stubborn, in their approach.

There's a philosophical, psychological component at play here too. One thought I had is simply understanding the value of a goal. It is six points. But it is also potentially 5-10 extra entries the opposition need to square the ledger, which is extra kms running, jumping, tackling etc. We are spending all our tickets on getting the ball in their for no reward. Then the opposition jags one and we have to muster up that extra effort, again for no reward. Scoreboard pressure. We aren't applying it. In an era where pressure is central to analysis we've forgotten about scoreboard pressure.

Operant conditioning suggests that when you don't get reward for behaviours eventually there is a decay or extinction to those behaviours. I think we see that in game, against the Crows early we were defensively sound and winning enough footy. It all dropped off and we effectively got blown away because the good work didn't reinforce the good behaviours. Impact two fold : No scoreboard pressure, reduced effort. It's been the case now in R1,2 & Friday night which have been terrible performances.

18. Likes bornadog, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    It's a skill component mostly which GVG, BAD and Twodogs have provided the most simple and effective resolution. It is so frustrating that our footy dept appear to be stead fast, stubborn, in their approach.

There's a philosophical, psychological component at play here too. One thought I had is simply understanding the value of a goal. It is six points. But it is also potentially 5-10 extra entries the opposition need to square the ledger, which is extra kms running, jumping, tackling etc. We are spending all our tickets on getting the ball in their for no reward. Then the opposition jags one and we have to muster up that extra effort, again for no reward. Scoreboard pressure. We aren't applying it. In an era where pressure is central to analysis we've forgotten about scoreboard pressure.

Operant conditioning suggests that when you don't get reward for behaviours eventually there is a decay or extinction to those behaviours. I think we see that in game, against the Crows early we were defensively sound and winning enough footy. It all dropped off and we effectively got blown away because the good work didn't reinforce the good behaviours. Impact two fold : No scoreboard pressure, reduced effort. It's been the case now in R1,2 & Friday night which have been terrible performances.
    Im taking it that we don't do enough goal kicking practice because the fitness guys say it'll injure our players as they'll be over worked?

I'd give the fitness guys a KPI on team accuracy and on win/loss ratio. Their job is to help us win, not just to have fit players.

If the biggest opportunity for us to improve isn't our set shots, then I'd love to know what is?!

20. Likes bornadog, SonofScray, Eastdog liked this post