Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  81
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fixing our ****ing awful goal kicking

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Last and getting worse.

It's not an issue.
    You keep posting that, but do you really think the club would think like that? It would be playing on the players minds every time they have a shot.

On a positive: The great news is we are actually getting the ball into the 50 and giving ourselves a chance. I would hate to be the Saints.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    You keep posting that, but do you really think the club would think like that? It would be playing on the players minds every time they have a shot.

On a positive: The great news is we are actually getting the ball into the 50 and giving ourselves a chance. I would hate to be the Saints.
    No, it's just a guess. It couldn't possibly be that I know or anything.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

No, it's just a guess. It couldn't possibly be that I know or anything.
    We all know it is a major problem, and discussing it is great, but................ forget it, I will leave it at that.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Nope. No problem that I can see.

Only half the teams in the comp are going at more than 50% I wonder if coaches put it down to wonderful defending and that's why they are loathe to do anything about it?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought he just didn't want to air things publicly, especially if players are watching the interview.
    I hoped that was the case. Hope is very intangible. But... in Bevo we trust...right?

If I ran a club, I'd hire:
    - the best recruiter
    - the best goal kicking coach
    - the best development coach

Pay them 90% of the coaches wage and your tactics won't matter so much. You won't need to find a reason not to play rucks or worry about where your goals will come from.

ABC - always be closing. Our forward can't close. If they worked in sales, they'd be fired.

6. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    I hoped that was the case. Hope is very intangible. But... in Bevo we trust...right?

If I ran a club, I'd hire:
    - the best recruiter
    - the best goal kicking coach
    - the best development coach

Pay them 90% of the coaches wage and your tactics won't matter so much. You won't need to find a reason not to play rucks or worry about where your goals will come from.

ABC - always be closing. Our forward can't close. If they worked in sales, they'd be fired.
    Kicking is always a bit wayward at the start of the season.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Kicking is always a bit wayward at the start of the season.
    The issue is ours is more wayward than the other teams in front of the sticks.

I honestly think we do have a problem that is not all down to recruiting poor kicks.
    If Clay Smith can somehow become semi-reliable when kicking for goal and Levi Casboult can be transformed within 18 months from the worst KPF set shot in the competition to statistically elite - not only is goal-kicking fixable, it's fixable within the timeframe of most player contracts.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post

I honestly think we do have a problem that is not all down to recruiting poor kicks.
    If Clay Smith can somehow become semi-reliable when kicking for goal and Levi Casboult can be transformed within 18 months from the worst KPF set shot in the competition to statistically elite - not only is goal-kicking fixable, it's fixable within the timeframe of most player contracts.
    The strange thing is Clay Smith has always been a good kick for goal. After Dickson he's probably the player I'd choose next. His kicking technique can fall apart under pressure in open play, but give him a set shot at goal and he's very accurate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    Unfortunately certain players aren't great shots for goal and others are. We just happen to have quite a few that aren't good under pressure with set shots.

Dahlhaus (bad ball drop, has a natural hooked kicking action)
    Suckling (Yes I misses the ones he should get, swans game a good example. Bizarre kicking action means high risk, low percentage accuracy)
    Hunter (high ball drop, leans back when shooting for goal)
    Jong (runs in a straight line off to the right to get distance but ends up kicking with a straight kicking action, so it goes straight to the right)
    Boyd (Mental demons)
    Dunkley (some ball drop issues but mostly just leans back)
    Bont (has the Buddy left footers arc, so low percentage on set shots. Mostly leans back so it goes left.
    I would say Hunter is one of the few players whose goal kicking has improved over the past few years. Early on he was a terrible kick for goal who you'd back to miss from anywhere. He's improved to the point where you'd give him a pretty good chance of converting most shots. Why he's improved while most have gone backwards is anyone's guess.

Post Thanks / Like

The strange thing is Clay Smith has always been a good kick for goal. After Dickson he's probably the player I'd choose next. His kicking technique can fall apart under pressure in open play, but give him a set shot at goal and he's very accurate.

He just likes to see his name in the paper on Wednesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post

Yep it can be fixed and it's incredibly annoying when people who work in the football industry think it can't or just flat out refuse to address it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    He just likes to see his name in the paper on Wednesday.
    He could've seen it 4 times at half time on the internet in the prelim final. I'll never forget his game that day!

Post Thanks / Like

He could've seen it 4 times at half time on the internet in the prelim final. I'll never forget his game that day!
    It's not the same as waiting for the Mail to come out on Wednesday just to see your name in the goal kickers for Kingsville!

If you made 20 or took 3 wickets you get mentioned on the match scores too.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds easy to fix goal kicking, but the big factor is kicking under pressure in a game. Players can look great at training, slotting the ball through from every angle, but put them in front of a crowd, in a match and the mind games come into play.

You can really see that with Dunkley, Dahl and now Suckling. We need to fix the mind just as much as the way the ball is kicked. When some players just have a snap at goal and don't concentrate on the kick they are better. I think Buddy for example is one of those players. Missed four set shots on Saturday.

16. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds easy to fix goal kicking, but the big factor is kicking under pressure in a game. Players can look great at training, slotting the ball through from every angle, but put them in front of a crowd, in a match and the mind games come into play.

You can really see that with Dunkley, Dahl and now Suckling. We need to fix the mind just as much as the way the ball is kicked. When some players just have a snap at goal and don't concentrate on the kick they are better. I think Buddy for example is one of those players. Missed four set shots on Saturday.
    Putting someone on the mark at training when they are practising goalkicking would help. At least try and replicate match conditions as much as possible.

18. Likes Eastdog liked this post