Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  81
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fixing our ****ing awful goal kicking

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    He could've seen it 4 times at half time on the internet in the prelim final. I'll never forget his game that day!
    And yet he missed a fairly easy set shot at qtr time. All four goals were on the run.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Putting someone on the mark at training when they are practising goalkicking would help. At least try and replicate match conditions as much as possible.
    On that subject, why is Caleb Daniel seemingly always on the mark when opposition take set shots??
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

3. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Putting someone on the mark at training when they are practising goalkicking would help. At least try and replicate match conditions as much as possible.
    Yes that's ideally what you want to try and do at training.

I think it has been mentioned before but can this be taught to players or is it innate and you just can't teach them to improve. I think you and Cyberdoggie came up with some suggestions.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    He could've seen it 4 times at half time on the internet in the prelim final. I'll never forget his game that day!
    What a 2016 final series he had.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post

I think it has been mentioned before but can this be taught to players or is it innate and you just can't teach them to improve. I think you and Cyberdoggie came up with some suggestions.
    Players can be taught a new technique, but the problem is that there is belief that to learn a new technique takes 1000 repetitions, to use it takes 3000 reps, and to master it takes 10,000 reps.

Can you imagine the sports scientists being ok with players doing those sort of reps - they hate the players doing ANY goal kicking training.
    Footscray member since 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    Players can be taught a new technique, but the problem is that there is belief that to learn a new technique takes 1000 repetitions, to use it takes 3000 reps, and to master it takes 10,000 reps.

Can you imagine the sports scientists being ok with players doing those sort of reps - they hate the players doing ANY goal kicking training.
    It's frustrating because I don't believe overall fitness is really a huge factor great example last weekend Tim English run last week that nearly got Florent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post

It can be taught? The trick is to break it down to an easy to remember 4 or 5 step process. First of all forget everything you have ever learned about kicking for goal. Then remember 4 things after you have taken the mark or got the free kick. When you get to the top of your mark take a deep breath and try to relax and forget everything except you and the ball, that's number one. When you run in, run in a straight line, that's number two. When you kick the ball, make sure your head is over the ball when it hits your foot and don't lift your head that's number three. Numbers four and five don't exist. I just made them up to get your attention, if I'd said there were only 3 things you'd have stopped paying attention by now.

So you forget everything else and you remember straight line, balance, technique. It's not hard is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post

I'm always suspicious of convenient rounded numbers. We are expected to believe that you will be significantly better at kicking after 10 000 repetitions than we would be after 9999? It's like a crowd figure of 25 583 is more believable than 25 000 or 26 000. I'm confident that if you keep the lesson simple enough they won't need 10 000 tries to get it right.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

9. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One fault that is seen frequently is the player with the ball turns his back on the man on the mark as he walks back. This was one of EJ's pet peeves with his players. I remember him giving a quality demonstration as to why not. An opposition player took a mark at western oval and turned his back on Ted as he walked back. Ted immediately caught the umpires eye, and used his foot to establish the mark. By the time the player turned around to take his kick Ted was standing a few yards behind the mark. Result, as the player took his kick Ted ran to the true mark, and smothered the kick.

Also EJ had a very short ball drop, stooping quite low until contact was made with the ball. The statue outside the ground is no artistic licence, he really was that well balanced when kicking.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

11. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Likes Ghost Dog, Dry Rot, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nick Riewoldts dramatic change in kicking style and effort to get better - did it help his conversion? I have to check.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I was reading an article on SEN about Clarkson's recruitment, and one of the first things he did was bring in a kicking coach. Cannot find the damn link but its evident then and ingrained now in the Hawks' DNA that they take a high priority on players with good kicking skills.

some reading from wiki in 2010: "A poor start to 2010 when the club lost six out its first seven games the team finally abandoned the cluster for a more precision kicking style. ". Another interesting article on some of the skills development in the Hawks regime:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-2...oach-whisperer

If they held their nerve in the 2011 prelimin against the pies, they could have won the GF that year. I recall a lot of good field kicking and keepings off the pies in that game.

The question I want to ask is, where is our kicking coach?

Post Thanks / Like

Mind games: How AFL star Luke Shuey performs under pressure

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-2...?section=sport

Very relevant to this goal kicking thread
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

We kicked more goals than behinds last night but didn't have many scoring shots.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    I was reading an article on SEN about Clarkson's recruitment, and one of the first things he did was bring in a kicking coach. Cannot find the damn link but its evident then and ingrained now in the Hawks' DNA that they take a high priority on players with good kicking skills.

some reading from wiki in 2010: "A poor start to 2010 when the club lost six out its first seven games the team finally abandoned the cluster for a more precision kicking style. ". Another interesting article on some of the skills development in the Hawks regime:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-2...oach-whisperer

If they held their nerve in the 2011 prelimin against the pies, they could have won the GF that year. I recall a lot of good field kicking and keepings off the pies in that game.

The question I want to ask is, where is our kicking coach?
    The Saints have got one in Ben Dixon. They have kicked 45 goals 64 behinds this year!

Post Thanks / Like

Listening to Brad Scott he said Ben Brown has 100's of kicks at goal at training every week. Scott over rides the Sports Scientist and lets him kick at goal as long as he wants. He said with every kick he goes through the same routine even at training and he just loves having shots. Maybe our guys need to get to basics and what better to improve their skills. Seems the skill part of football has been left behind.

18. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    Listening to Brad Scott he said Ben Brown has 100's of kicks at goal at training every week. Scott over rides the Sports Scientist and lets him kick at goal as long as he wants. He said with every kick he goes through the same routine even at training and he just loves having shots. Maybe our guys need to get to basics and what better to improve their skills. Seems the skill part of football has been left behind.
    I believe today:

Player speed = very high
    Player skill = very low

We need skill level to be better. Our skills on Saturday were awful.