Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  81
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fixing our ****ing awful goal kicking

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    That game when we kicked 7 in the first and they kicked 7 in the second? It could have been the other way around.
    Thats the one. We kicked 8 to zip in the first and then they did it to us in the second. We lost by a couple of goals at the WACA

Geez i can remember some ridiculous crap when it comes to the dogs.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Thats the one. We kicked 8 to zip in the first and then they did it to us in the second. We lost by a couple of goals at the WACA

Another weird stat from that game. One goal umpire signaled the first 19 goals of the game. Our 8 in the first, their 8 in the second, then their first 3 in three third after he'd swapped ends.

3. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We played absolutely sizzling footy in that first quarter. Red hot. Someone, maybe Brereton, said at 1/4 time that there was daylight between us and the rest of the competition at that point. But - just as easily - we fell apart defensively when it mattered which is probably the reason we never got a flag with Plough.

And yeah I remember lots of crap too Chef, yet there are whole seasons I can barely remember, which is I’m sure a good thing.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

5. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    We played absolutely sizzling footy in that first quarter. Red hot. Someone, maybe Brereton, said at 1/4 time that there was daylight between us and the rest of the competition at that point. But - just as easily - we fell apart defensively when it mattered which is probably the reason we never got a flag with Plough.

And yeah I remember lots of crap too Chef, yet there are whole seasons I can barely remember, which is I’m sure a good thing.
    Remember that game all too well. During the 2nd qtr capitation, Sedat was outmarked in the goal square by that noted aerialist Chad Morrison.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

7. Likes chef, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    He does do better in clutch situations. More deliberate in his approach. Same with JJ
    For a team with a shocking percentage missing those shots probably meant the difference of a 21 point win and a possible 40 point plus win. Carlton got a sniff in the last quarter because we didn't take our chances to put them away

If he can do better when it counts then I fully expect him to do his best in every close game especially in perfect conditions
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I picked that match to explain afl to my polish father in law. I spent the whole first quarter telling him this was not normal and normally we aren't this dominant then spent the whole second quarter telling him that this was not normal and normally we weren't this rubbish!
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

10. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Whenever Bont lines up, it crosses my mind “If it was the last quarter - he kicks it, any other time in the game, I’m nervous”.

12. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Whenever Bont lines up, it crosses my mind “If it was the last quarter - he kicks it, any other time in the game, I’m nervous”.
    I feel this is more myth than fact. When has he nailed big last quarter goals apart from the prelim (Which wasn't a set shot)?

I recall he missed 2 crucial goals in the 2015 final v Crows which cost us dearly.

He's always been a suspect set shot IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    I feel this is more myth than fact. When has he nailed big last quarter goals apart from the prelim (Which wasn't a set shot)?

I recall he missed 2 crucial goals in the 2015 final v Crows which cost us dearly.

Put us two kicks clear late against Adelaide in our premiership year. Was about as clutch as you'll get.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post

Just off the top of my head, from outside 50 against Adelaide to win/seal a game. Against Port Adelaide at their home deck when we won by 3 points. Against Richmond is a close game 2016 he kicked a big last quarter goal. Against Collingwood late in 2016 when we won by 3 points. Think he might have kicked the sealer as a set shot against the lions in the unnecessarily close game last year, and against Essendon he broke them late in the game.

But you’re probably right - just a myth that he kicks the clutch goals.

16. Likes bornadog, The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just off the top of my head, from outside 50 against Adelaide to win/seal a game. Against Port Adelaide at their home deck when we won by 3 points. Against Richmond is a close game 2016 he kicked a big last quarter goal. Against Collingwood late in 2016 when we won by 3 points. Think he might have kicked the sealer as a set shot against the lions in the unnecessarily close game last year, and against Essendon he broke them late in the game.

Although it was a snap shot, his ducking, weaving effort to kick the winner against Melbourne with a minute to go very early in his career was another pearler.

Post Thanks / Like

He kicked 2 at the death against Melbourne in his first season to win the game, including what should've been goal of the year.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

19. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just listening to SEN apparently the league wide conversion rate 51.8% which is worst for 28 years. I’d imagine they are purely looking at goal to behind ratio and not also considering out of bounds or not making the distance. We are the worst of a bad bunch, staggering that one of the fundamentals of the game isn’t being coached nearly enough.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    Just listening to SEN apparently the league wide conversion rate 51.8% which is worst for 28 years. I’d imagine they are purely looking at goal to behind ratio and not also considering out of bounds or not making the distance. We are the worst of a bad bunch, staggering that one of the fundamentals of the game isn’t being coached nearly enough.
    So many shots are being taken by mids and HBF's these days. The players that are forwards are also expected to be part time mids and run all day
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

22. Likes The Adelaide Connection, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    So many shots are being taken by mids and HBF's these days. The players that are forwards are also expected to be part time mids and run all day
    Excellent point
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.