Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  136
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Why are the Demons still so piss weak in 2018?

The Demons.

So many early draft picks.

They had the best AFL coach ever to train them up in Paul Roos.

And then more early draft picks.

And then they had the next best coach in the AFL Simon Goodwin to take them to the finals in 2017 but didn't.

And now they are piss weak yet again in 2018.

Why?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

2. Likes Twodogs, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why are the Demons still so piss weak in 2018?

Culture , not sure if you heard the interview with Petracca after the loss and he mentioned something like its the Melbourne way.
    Big alarm bells went off when he said that.
    Media all over it and they are right if that's what your thinking you aren't going anywhere.
    Goodwin even admitted he is trying to change the thought process and culture.
    Seems it's a losing battle.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Just look at the fiasco re the pre-season camp. Some players jacked up, went to the AFLPA and coach - camp cancelled, club $30K out of pocket!
    What an attitude! What a back down! They weren't being asked to inject unknown substances - it was a survival camp designed to develop mental toughness and they didn't even make it to the start line.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

5. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And now their boom recruit Mr Lever is in the gun for being soft.

I'm pretty happy with Naughton right now

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    They had the most overrated AFL coach ever to train them up in Paul Roos.
    Edited for accuracy
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Just look at the fiasco re the pre-season camp. Some players jacked up, went to the AFLPA and coach - camp cancelled, club $30K out of pocket!
    What an attitude! What a back down! They weren't being asked to inject unknown substances - it was a survival camp designed to develop mental toughness and they didn't even make it to the start line.
    Yeah that's only part of the story. Whilst the players didn't air their concerns at the appropriate time or via appropriate channels, this same camp that they went on the year prior saw two players injured performing tasks not associated with football. Essentially the club believes itself to be allowed to put footballers through tasks that are high risk if they feel it be of benefit to the club, but if a player injures himself in a rest, relaxation or recreational activity all hell breaks loose, irrespective of the benefits of those activities.

AFL footballers aren't the same as they used to be, they're not the same as rugby players either (it was rugby players Melbourne Storm put through camps that gave MFC the idea to do the same with footballers). Clubs need to be really careful in how they manage them.

All of this points to a club that isn't in tune with how to develop and get the best out of its players. That's their main issue, all the good draft picks in the world won't do much if you can't development their fruits.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

10. Thanks merantau thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Yeah that's only part of the story. Whilst the players didn't air their concerns at the appropriate time or via appropriate channels, this same camp that they went on the year prior saw two players injured performing tasks not associated with football. Essentially the club believes itself to be allowed to put footballers through tasks that are high risk if they feel it be of benefit to the club, but if a player injures himself in a rest, relaxation or recreational activity all hell breaks loose, irrespective of the benefits of those activities.

AFL footballers aren't the same as they used to be, they're not the same as rugby players either (it was rugby players Melbourne Storm put through camps that gave MFC the idea to do the same with footballers). Clubs need to be really careful in how they manage them.

All of this points to a club that isn't in tune with how to develop and get the best out of its players. That's their main issue, all the good draft picks in the world won't do much if you can't development their fruits.
    Yep.

Just why are the AFL so obsessed with making Melbourne a power club anyway? They paid for Roos, they put Jackson in place on their coin, they were manipulating mini drafts for them and of the nine clubs in Victoria Jake Lever picks Melbourne over all of them? Really a bloke who plays AFL thinks Melbourne are a chance to have some success in his playing career? Righto then I can believe that, I flat out refuse to believe the AFL had a hand in his decision.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Because they're an entitled bunch of punks who honestly believe that they will just win games and premierships by virtue of all being in the same place at the same time.

Their effort was laughable on the weekend. At one point O'Meara ran past no less than 5 players on his way to kicking what was eventually an easy goal from the back of the square.

Lever is copping it at the moment, and rightly so, but their entire defence lacks discipline and seems incompetent when the ball hits the ground. Their best defender from last year has had his role totally change to cover for the fact that no one else is interested in playing on anybody.

Also has Goodwin done anything to demonstrate that he's a good coach or that the players even like him?

Anyway it's all AWESOME.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    And now their boom recruit Mr Lever is in the gun for being soft.

I'm pretty happy with Naughton right now
    Adelaide gained Melbourne's 2017 and 2018 first rounder for him. And pick 12 for Charlie Cameron.

Thankfully they overpaid for Gibbs.

I'll take Naughton and Richards instead thanks.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    That's their main issue, all the good draft picks in the world won't do much if you can't development their fruits.
    Consider the 7 Premiership defenders from 2016, as we'd rotate 7 through six spots.

Wood: pick 43
    Hamling: DFA
    Roberts: PSD
    Morris: Rookie
    Boyd: Rookie
    JJ: Rookie
    Biggs: Rookie then traded for nothing.

If there was ever evidence that draft picks are overrated, this is it. The two highest draft picks on our list are playing VFL right now.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

15. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Consider the 7 Premiership defenders from 2016, as we'd rotate 7 through six spots.

Wood: pick 43
    Hamling: DFA
    Roberts: PSD
    Morris: Rookie
    Boyd: Rookie
    JJ: Rookie
    Biggs: Rookie then traded for nothing.

If there was ever evidence that draft picks are overrated, this is it. The two highest draft picks on our list are playing VFL right now.

There's a heartening masterclass in "culture" - and some canny recruiting calls - if there ever was one.

CC that to the entitled chaps over at Demonland.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    There's a heartening masterclass in "culture" - and some canny recruiting calls - if there ever was one.

CC that to the entitled chaps over at Demonland.

We could but they would just giggle to themselves because they know better than us. That explains all their recent success compared to us. We might get a faux tough guy text in response...

Speaking of that, WTF does Bugg think he is, and what exactly has he acheived in AFL football that allowed him to carry on like that? I remember thinking when he got himself suspended a couple of weeks later "if I was MFC I'd be sending Bugg around to JJ's house to ask if he could polish his Norm Smith and premiership medallions for him"
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Just a filthy set up.

My hatred of Melbourne is well documented on this forum. My heart skips a beat every time they experience some misfortune. Interesting that when recently researching my "WOOF Number" I realised I joined around the time we smashed them by around 16 goals early in 2008. Maybe I just needed to express further how crap they were, are and will be.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

They have a lot of players well down on form, including Hibberd, Jones, Hunt along with badly missing Viney and Tom McDonald.

Unfortunately, they'll turn it around before we play them - they have too much talent not to do so.

Post Thanks / Like

If ever you need an example of the cost of tanking to the culture of a club look no further than Melbourne. They embraced losing as a way of winning and they're still paying for it now. Carlton and Essendon as also good cases in point.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

21. Likes ratsmac liked this post