Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How to raise rusted-on children

Funny article in Theage today.

"But after Sunday’s performance, I cannot but ask myself whether raising three more Demons supporters constitutes some form of cruel and unusual punishment."

Some Bulldogs fans must have experienced this. How do you get your kids to stick with a club that can't climb the ladder for a significant amount of time, or when we lose by big margins / repeatedly?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to raise rusted-on children

Firstly you don't sell as a "we will always win and everybody gets a prize" for a start. For my family it's easy, if you want to eat, watch TV and participate in all the other aspects of society then you barrack for the Bulldogs. Second you don't present it as a choice. "If you want yiur can barrack for the Bulldogs but there are all these other clubs you might want to think about first" Third, shaming and guilt trips, "you know whatever you guys do I will always love you? You know that, don't you? I will support you in anything you want to do. Unless it's barrack for a club that isn't the Bulldogs. That's the one thing I will never come to terms with, that I will never be able to move past?"

Last of all tell them that being a bulldog supporter is a privilege that not everybody is able to take advantage of. (This is easier if you live near the ground and maybe see a player when you are shopping or getting petrol or something. "Oh look. Is that Tom Campbell coming out of Aldi?"
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

While I can understand the article, we've probably all been there as Bulldogs supporters….. but I think at the end of the day – it says more about the writer than the club. Supporting your club and passing it on to your children – is not about premierships.

The article won’t age well.

Post Thanks / Like

Hang on. How can the writer be a third generation Melbourne supporter when his mum is a Hawthorn supporter?

Post Thanks / Like

When we were kids, we got assigned a team based on the year we were born and who won the flag that year.
    That was until you were old enough to choose...haha. My mother, the egalitarian teacher.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    When we were kids, we got assigned a team based on the year we were born and who won the flag that year.
    That was until you were old enough to choose...haha. My mother, the egalitarian teacher.
    So you are 64 years old?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I quite honestly don’t understand letting kids “make a choice.” It really is, this is our team, this is our heritage. Seeing a 4yo kid around our area in a GWS jumper, and his dad casually informing me: well, he liked the colours... I don’t get it.

When my brother whined that he didn’t want to barrack for us anymore my mother informed him he would never go to any other games, get any other jumpers, or get dinner that night. I shared the premiership joy with him several decades later.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

9. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was very clear to my children. Life is about choices. You can choose whatever team you want to support. However, this is a Bulldog house. If you want to eat the food at this table you have to support the Bulldogs. I just copied this playbook from by Dad

This has worked incredibly well. All our family support the Bulldogs. We have experienced so many moments together as an entire family at the football or things associated with the Bulldogs. I don't understand these parents who have three children who all support different teams. Where's the family unity in that?

I was also very harsh on other influences who attempted to persuade my children to support another team (some were quite serious and showed enormous grit in trying to change them over). If you are willing to take them to the football, week in, week out for the next 20 years then go ahead. If not .... shut the f*&^ up. They stopped after that.

I'm happy that my children are die hard Bulldog fans and being together with my extended family at both the Prelim in Sydney and the MCG Grand Final day was some of the best moments we have enjoyed together. But equally important is the weekly ritual of seeing the extended family at the footy!

Stay strong people.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    I quite honestly don’t understand letting kids “make a choice.” It really is, this is our team, this is our heritage. Seeing a 4yo kid around our area in a GWS jumper, and his dad casually informing me: well, he liked the colours... I don’t get it.

When my brother whined that he didn’t want to barrack for us anymore my mother informed him he would never go to any other games, get any other jumpers, or get dinner that night. I shared the premiership joy with him several decades later.

The *!*!*!*!? The *!*!*!*!ing colours? Who gives two hoots about the *!*!*!*!ing colours.

For Christ sake Trag, get that kid a bulldogs jumper and then report his parents to Dept of Human Services! *!*!*!*!ing stat!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post

Laughed when I read this. I have a mate, two kids of his own, two from another marriage. One is called Luke, after Hodge, the other Todd, after Viney ( real dad is a Melbourne fan ). Now they barrack for Port ( they like the lightning bolt ).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    I was very clear to my children. Life is about choices. You can choose whatever team you want to support. However, this is a Bulldog house. If you want to eat the food at this table you have to support the Bulldogs. I just copied this playbook from by Dad

This has worked incredibly well. All our family support the Bulldogs. We have experienced so many moments together as an entire family at the football or things associated with the Bulldogs. I don't understand these parents who have three children who all support different teams. Where's the family unity in that?

I was also very harsh on other influences who attempted to persuade my children to support another team (some were quite serious and showed enormous grit in trying to change them over). If you are willing to take them to the football, week in, week out for the next 20 years then go ahead. If not .... shut the f*&^ up. They stopped after that.

I'm happy that my children are die hard Bulldog fans and being together with my extended family at both the Prelim in Sydney and the MCG Grand Final day was some of the best moments we have enjoyed together. But equally important is the weekly ritual of seeing the extended family at the footy!

Stay strong people.
    I guess it helps that Bulldogs is a very good family club. They do a lot of great community work. Some other clubs do ( North is great, ) but some suck at that stuff ( Geelong. Stingy, lack programs, and take for granted their riding on the back of being the only show in town. ) The vibe is totally different at other clubs. Just read the Bombers Blitz forum! Scary stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    So you are 64 years old?
    No way. I was assigned Collingwood haha. Like religion and going to church, when I turned 15 my parents gave me a choice. I was not that interested in AFL later on. I got a scholarship in Juniors for AFL but the bullying in country vic was out of control so I took up Judo and Hockey. Some years later, not following a team, I got to the dogs via the documentary film.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    The *!*!*!*!? The *!*!*!*!ing colours? Who gives two hoots about the *!*!*!*!ing colours.

For Christ sake Trag, get that kid a bulldogs jumper and then report his parents to Dept of Human Services! *!*!*!*!ing stat!!
    Who says I didn’t? The guy was clearly an unfit parent, and the child exposed to harm at a vulnerable age.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

16. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post

Stay strong people.
    And let’s not get onto the contentious subject of inter-marriage...
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    You don't sell as a "we will always win and everybody gets a prize" for a start. For my family it's easy, if you want to eat, watch TV and participate in all the other aspects of society then you barrack for the Bulldogs. Second you don't present it as a choice. "If you want yiur can barrack for the Bulldogs but there are all these other clubs you might want to think about first" Third, shaming and guilt trips, "you know whatever you guys do I will always love you? You know that, don't you? I will support you in anything you want to do. Unless it's barrack for a club that isn't the Bulldogs. That's the one thing I will never come to terms with, that I will never be able to move past?"
    You are the Beria of footy parents. I trust you have your kids under appropriate surveillance for compliance.

What is your gulag for offenders? Forcing them to watch Liam Jones at Carlton training sessions?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.