Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  13
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things I have learned- Round 5, 2018 edition V Fremantle

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    GVRjr will confirm that I have said from the start that we got bent over on the Hamling deal, he copped hundreds of texts complaining about it from me.
    That is complete and utter BS, it's more like thousands
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Agree. We wouldn't have players being drafted in their mid 20s otherwise. They tried all the the late '90s to sell us the twaddle that unless you came through the elite talent pathway then you weren't capable of playing AFL. Even players from the VFL, SANFL and the WAFL were being tarred with a "will never be able to play AFL (we aren't going to give him a chance to prove it though!)'' brush until West Coast drafted tgat 27 yo full forward and then Hawthorn took Sam Mitchell from Box Hill that the myth was shattered.
    Troy Wilson was the WCE lad. Kicked 83 goals from 37 games in a few seasons.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

Young and Greene were taken earlier than originally planned. I've been more than happy with both.
    Do you mean you're happy with Young and Greene and would have been happy if we'd taken Long and Hannan instead? I think because we had seen lots of Hannan and a fair bit of Long both play and they both played big parts in winning finals for us at Footscray and were in the team that won the 2016 VFL flag that it was natural for us to want them on the AFL list. But we've got a good one with Lewy Young. Haven't seen enough of Greene yet,

That is complete and utter BS, it's more like thousands
    I literally still have steam coming out of my ears. Well I don't really have steam coming out of my ears obviously but I'm still annoyed enough to need a lie down and a bex.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

I literally still have steam coming out of my ears. Well I don't really have steam coming out of my ears obviously but I'm still annoyed enough to need a lie down and a bex.
    How do you think Hawthorn feel about losing Buddy, or Adelaide losing Danger - we just have to get over it. Now take that bex and have a lie down.

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you mean you're happy with Young and Greene and would have been happy if we'd taken Long and Hannan instead? I think because we had seen lots of Hannan and a fair bit of Long both play and they both played big parts in winning finals for us at Footscray and were in the team that won the 2016 VFL flag that it was natural for us to want them on the AFL list. But we've got a good one with Lewy Young. Haven't seen enough of Greene yet,

I think they show a lot of talent. Our plan was to take Young later in the draft but once some other players were gone both he and Greene, who I think we originally planned as a rookie, moved up the order.

When I talked to Greene at the Legends and Young Guns night he thought he was more of a rookie consideration before we selected him but clubs do keep their cards close.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Hannan has played 1 game this year and is already 24 - not really shattered we missed him.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I think they show a lot of talent. Our plan was to take Young later in the draft but once some other players were gone both he and Greene, who I think we originally planned as a rookie, moved up the order.

When I talked to Greene at the Legends and Young Guns night he thought he was more of a rookie consideration before we selected him but clubs do keep their cards close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Hannan has played 1 game this year and is already 24 - not really shattered we missed him.
    I'm pretty happy we got Lewis Young. I think he will be the best player of the four, but I'd like to see a bit more of Ben Long before I make that call though. Ben just has something, he always seems to stay on his feet in a contest and he is never more than an arms length away from the ball and when he reaches out for it for it, it rolls up his arm. He can play pretty well at VFL level.

As you said before G. "Woulda, coulda, shoulda." And as my dear old granddad told me when I was just a little kid "remember this son, 'if my horse hadn't stopped for a shit then it would have won the race' and that's all the advice I will ever give you about the neddies" he was holding a form guide at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't really see any reason to lose sleep over Hannan, Long or Hamling really.

Hamling wanted to go home for genuine family reasons. He did some outstanding things for us for a month that helped us win the flag, all the best to him.

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding English, Fremantles next pick was at pick 38. They weren't in the mix and clearly had Sean Darcy on their radar for that pick. The Saints at pick 25 were loaded with ruckman and weren't after another, Geelong at 26 have a plethora of ruckman and at pick 27 Carlton went after a midfielder in Zac Fisher. While I have no problems with us taking English at pick 19 I disagree that it was highly doubtful he would certainly be gone before pick 28.
    English at pick 28, if that was even a remote possibility, shows to me that list managers and recruiters are too smart by half. I feel like English is a complete steal at pick 19 - I think Ozza pointed out his numbers and ability to find the footy for such a big man are off the charts. A 206cm ruckman with natural footy smarts and great skills - he could be anything.

It doesn't matter to me if we believe Long and Hannan would have been the right picks for us but they were clearly on our radar. The fact that we didn't land either of them is an error by our list management during the trade and draft periods.
    If they were our targets, we clearly made errors about their worth and didn't trade up the draft enough to nab them. But from my personal perspective, I don't see either of these two making a difference to our current situation. Holding onto players far too long has been our issue for many years - it peaked with Mulligan getting 5 years on the list, but there are 6-8 players on the list currently who are extremely fortunate to still be there.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I don't really see any reason to lose sleep over Hannan, Long or Hamling really.

Hamling wanted to go home for genuine family reasons. He did some outstanding things for us for a month that helped us win the flag, all the best to him.

That's true. He was outstanding in those three weeks and I doubt we could have done it without him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    English at pick 28, if that was even a remote possibility, shows to me that list managers and recruiters are too smart by half. I feel like English is a complete steal at pick 19 - I think Ozza pointed out his numbers and ability to find the footy for such a big man are off the charts. A 206cm ruckman with natural footy smarts and great skills - he could be anything.

If they were our targets, we clearly made errors about their worth and didn't trade up the draft enough to nab them. But from my personal perspective, I don't see either of these two making a difference to our current situation. Holding onto players far too long has been our issue for many years - it peaked with Mulligan getting 5 years on the list, but there are 6-8 players on the list currently who are extremely fortunate to still be there.
    Oh god, I'd forgotten about him. Didn't he spend two years on Hawthorn's list after we ditched him?

We should put his name in the swear filter.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh god, I'd forgotten about him. Didn't he spend two years on Hawthorn's list after we ditched him?

We should put his name in the swear filter.
    Thst was Boumann, who was to Comrade what Cheesy Barlow was to me
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

12. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Being out of contract Freo and Hamling also held all the cards.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Agree. We wouldn't have players being drafted in their mid 20s otherwise. They tried all the the late '90s to sell us the twaddle that unless you came through the elite talent pathway then you weren't capable of playing AFL. Even players from the VFL, SANFL and the WAFL were being tarred with a "will never be able to play AFL (we aren't going to give him a chance to prove it though!)'' brush until West Coast drafted tgat 27 yo full forward and then Hawthorn took Sam Mitchell from Box Hill that the myth was shattered.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Troy Wilson was the WCE lad. Kicked 83 goals from 37 games in a few seasons.
    Yes he was. I remember Garry Lyon getting on his high horse on the radio before one of his early matches about what a horrendous idea it was to draft him.

He kicked 7 that day.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Mini rebuild, ok cool but need to cut deep this year.
    2. I am down to one last gig for Webb he has shown nothing at AFL level.
    3. When fit we must fast-track Schache as much as we are fast-tracking Naughton and Richards.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    1. Mini rebuild, ok cool but need to cut deep this year.
    2. I am down to one last gig for Webb he has shown nothing at AFL level.
    3. When fit we must fast-track Schache as much as we are fast-tracking Naughton and Richards.
    Schache played something like 25 senior AFL games at Brisbane. He's got a few games in his legs.

17. Likes 1eyedog liked this post