Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  13
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things I have learned- Round 5, 2018 edition V Fremantle

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    You've well and truly established your thoughts about players being played out of position and I respect that, but quite frankly these rants are becoming tiresome.
    Perhaps you could provide us all a list of subjects you approve and the parameters of which we can discuss those subjects? Just to make sure we don't offend your sensitivities.

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Here here.
    Yes let's just make every thread about bashing Webb and Jong. That wouldn't be repetitive at all!
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Perhaps you could provide us all a list of subjects you approve and the parameters of which we can discuss those subjects? Just to make sure we don't offend your sensitivities.

Yes let's just make every thread about bashing Webb and Jong. That wouldn't be repetitive at all!
    Yeah, I constantly bash Webb and Jong all the time.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes let's just make every thread about bashing Webb and Jong.
    Leaving any gripes aside, Webb and Jong are about as opposite players as English and Daniel.

Webb was a well known junior talent who is a brilliant kick but not overly explosive athlete.
    Jong is a ridiculous athlete who was barely known as a junior but kicking is certainly not a weapon of his.

It's telling about modern football that Jong is in the side while Webb is fringe who barely performs when given AFL opportunity.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

4. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Leaving any gripes aside, Webb and Jong are about as opposite players as English and Daniel.

Webb was a well known junior talent who is a brilliant kick but not overly explosive athlete.
    Jong is a ridiculous athlete who was barely known as a junior but kicking is certainly not a weapon of his.

It's telling about modern football that Jong is in the side while Webb is fringe who barely performs when given AFL opportunity.
    Like all players in the RWB, I want them to succeed. As you say Webb just hasn't performed when given an opportunity at AFL level. Perhaps he is in the wrong role and will not make it as a midfielder and there maybe a different role he can go to.

As for Jong, over the past few weeks he has started to improve and picked up 22 disposals last week (not that that is an indication on it's own). If he can keep improving he may become a genuine best 22, but time will tell.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps the issue is not that the subject being brought up is offensive to Westdog's sensibilities but that the same point has bene repeated ad-nauseam? I don't recall anyone complaining the first 10 times you expressed these thoughts.

7. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I still hope Webb gets a few weeks in a row to adjust to the pace of afl football and see if he can find a place or a role in the team. We aren't going to find out one way or the other if we keep dropping him after one game
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I still hope Webb gets a few weeks in a row to adjust to the pace of afl football and see if he can find a place or a role in the team. We aren't going to find out one way or the other if we keep dropping him after one game
    Yep I was surprised he was dropped this week but even when not really performing we have competition for spots.

Perhaps the issue runs the opposite way - he gets an extended run at VFL level in the role he'll play at AFL level to work on his game. Happy to stand corrected but he plays 90% midfield at VFL level but is thrown around a bit more in the seniors?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    As for Jong, over the past few weeks he has started to improve and picked up 22 disposals last week (not that that is an indication on it's own). If he can keep improving he may become a genuine best 22, but time will tell.
    We all know Jong has faults but his attributes mean he can still be useful in the seniors.
    We simply don't have that breakaway capacity in the midfield with Jong as the sole exception. Perhaps his presence there means opposition teams still have to set up 'normally' and not overtly offensively knowing without Jong there, there is no threat of the Bulldogs midfield sprinting away with the ball in space?