Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Round 10, 2018

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Melbourne are going to destroy us next week.
    I'd usually argue but you're right, it's going to be *!*!*!*!ing ugly.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

2. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I know there is a lot of the game to play out over in the West at the moment but I wonder why North has turned their fortunes around?
    Many had them bottom 3 for this year
    North have surprised everyone, and looking like they can make the 8
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    North have surprised everyone, and looking like they can make the 8
    So why have they bounced into contention?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

At training they work on their skills and it shows.

I don't know when as a sport we decided that shuttle running and standing in certain parts of the ground watching the opposition kick the ball to one another was more important than kicking, marking and handballing but North are proving that we have had a tendency to overthink the game. It seems the more professional we think our players are the further they are getting away from playing actual footy.

6. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They lost 6 games by less than 10 points last year, so their drop into the lower rungs was overstated. And this season they have one of the smallest injury lists. They have their best players in top form too, which is important.

They are almost morals for the top 8 with their cushy draw over the next few weeks. I'd almost draw the line at the current top 9 for finals. Hawks are 10th and have been very unimpressive the last few weeks. Forget the rest.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget that a couple of years ago that North won their first 11 games straight and mucked that up majorly. While they do look a lot more solid and the work is distributed a lot more evenly I wouldn't be setting them a finals spot just yet.

Like Sedat says they don't have many injuries.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    They lost 6 games by less than 10 points last year, so their drop into the lower rungs was overstated. And this season they have one of the smallest injury lists. They have their best players in top form too, which is important.

They are almost morals for the top 8 with their cushy draw over the next few weeks. I'd almost draw the line at the current top 9 for finals. Hawks are 10th and have been very unimpressive the last few weeks. Forget the rest.
    Hawks have the two Adelaide sides the next two weeks. Both Hawks home games - but lose those two - and they are out of contention I think.

Post Thanks / Like

Given they had a lot of close games and injuries last year and had made finals the 3 previous years, including 2 Prelims, the question should be more about why they were written off so quickly?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Given they had a lot of close games and injuries last year and had made finals the 3 previous years, including 2 Prelims, the question should be more about why they were written off so quickly?
    Because they failed to get past the prelim twice in a row. Not too many sides that check out in consecutive prelim finals go on to acheive a premiership.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Because they failed to get past the prelim twice in a row. Not too many sides that check out in consecutive prelim finals go on to acheive a premiership.
    We're not talking about winning premierships though, just saying it shouldn't be a major surprise that they are still finals competitive a couple of years later with a fairly similar list.

Post Thanks / Like

We're not talking about winning premierships though, just saying it shouldn't be a major surprise that they are still finals competitive a couple of years later with a fairly similar list.
    They lost a lot of experience a couple of seasons ago, so people thought they may struggle (me included), however, they are still fielding a side with an average game experience of over 100, in fact 7 players have played more than 150 games.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

That's true.

The fact that I just don't care for them as people is the source of my antipathy. I don't mind mind admitting it. I've got no time for them at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    That's true.

The fact that I just don't care for them as people is the source of my antipathy. I don't mind mind admitting it. I've got no time for them at all.
    Can't disagree....

Post Thanks / Like

Seems simplistic - but North have implemented a playing style that matches the strengths of their core playing list.

They've moved away from a 'sameness' in their midfield - where they had Cunnington and Ziebell as their primary mids - and now have Ziebell forward. Have added some pace. And Brown and Waite both in great form and staying on the park - and they actually move the ball quickly to their targets (who know how to play forward, and how to work together).

Post Thanks / Like

Well the lost 11 of their last 14 games in 2016 and won 6 games in 2017 and finished bottom 4. So they'd won 9 out of their previous 36 games and were coming off a bottom 4 finish coming into this season.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships