Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  68
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who's going to Ballarat?

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think the club thought with a capacity of 11,000 and membership of 47,000, plus Ballarat people, they had to ration tickets by making it a ticketed game. This has back fired and needs a re-think
    They recently announced more development of Mars Stadium is the VIC budget on footy stadium upgrades that included the G, Etihad and Whitten Oval. Increased capacity will be highly beneficial for our member and supporters wanting to go.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

I think the club thought with a capacity of 11,000 and membership of 47,000, plus Ballarat people, they had to ration tickets by making it a ticketed game. This has back fired and needs a re-think
    It was the same last year though wasn't it and it was bursting at the seams.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It was the same last year though wasn't it and it was bursting at the seams.
    I think last year it was a novelty, first game in Ballarat and people wanted to be there.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    They recently announced more development of Mars Stadium is the VIC budget on footy stadium upgrades that included the G, Etihad and Whitten Oval. Increased capacity will be highly beneficial for our member and supporters wanting to go.
    They announced 500k to work on a masterplan for Mars but it did not include money for upgrades. Saturday's poor turnout makes it less likely that any upgrades will actually occur.

Post Thanks / Like

I think last year it was a novelty, first game in Ballarat and people wanted to be there.
    It was very well marketed last year and I think we also had a lot of Port supporters making the trip. This year there wasn't the hype and against a non drawing opposition club I don't think the interest was there. Last year we still had a slim chance of still making the 8 if we won that game.

In a way we have just shut out 20K of our supporters but we probably made more money out of the game.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

While I thought the Club has been up front and clear with how these games interact with memberships, there has been a lot of confused and disgruntled fans commenting around the traps. As far as I know, with the replacement games, the only loss in value relates to the reserved seat not being carried over.

Either way, the Club needs to find a way to spell out what the situation is for members and different packages. Reduce the confusion.

If the two games a year are genuine money spinners & keep Etihad honest I can wear the slight decrease in value of my membership package. It's a good change of scenery driving up and I was planning on staying the weekend with the family to visit Sovereign Hill etc. Wood be great to get a full house, completely partisan crowd.

7. Likes Prince Imperial liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    While I thought the Club has been up front and clear with how these games interact with memberships, there has been a lot of confused and disgruntled fans commenting around the traps. As far as I know, with the replacement games, the only loss in value relates to the reserved seat not being carried over.

Either way, the Club needs to find a way to spell out what the situation is for members and different packages. Reduce the confusion.

If the two games a year are genuine money spinners & keep Etihad honest I can wear the slight decrease in value of my membership package. It's a good change of scenery driving up and I was planning on staying the weekend with the family to visit Sovereign Hill etc. Wood be great to get a full house, completely partisan crowd.
    The Saints charge $42 more for an adult level 1 wing reserved seat home game membership than what we do. I don't think those who complain about not having a reserved seat for the two replacement games realise this. If we played 11 home games at Etihad the prices would no doubt be higher.

I think the club needs to provide better value for home and away members though. It charges $125 extra for GA access to four additional away matches in Melbourne ($25 GA each). It should consider giving such members GA access (subject to capacity) to at least one of the Ballarat matches.

I think we should also consider allowing all members (and not just those who live in the Ballarat region) to purchase a Ballarat add-on membership given how poor the crowd was on Saturday.

9. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

'One little hiccup': Dogs confident on Mars crowds

THE WESTERN Bulldogs' disappointing crowd in Ballarat on Saturday is being seen as a "once-off", according to chief executive Ameet Bains.

Only 6833 fans turned up to watch the Bulldogs edge out Gold Coast by nine points, after a sell-out attendance of 10,087 for the first AFL match at Mars Stadium last year.

It was a fully-ticketed game because of the stadium's capacity limitations and Bains said the Saturday timeslot, and subsequent clash with local sport, was one reason for the poor turnout.

Club officials struck a five-year, multi-million-dollar deal with the Victorian Government in late 2015 to forge a community relationship with Ballarat and to play up to three games a season there.

The Dogs will host two matches at the venue in 2018, the second of which is against Port Adelaide in round 19, after also playing an AFLW practice game and JLT Community Series contest in Ballarat.

"It was a little bit disappointing," Bains told RSN927 of the crowd number.

"Certainly last year's game (against the Power) had a lot more opposition fans attend, but we would have hoped even with our membership base that a few more might have turned up.

"It's something to look at ahead of our round 19 game against Port."

But Bains said the Dogs' partnership with Ballarat was broader than just playing home matches in the city, and included several community programs.

Their Ballarat-specific membership base has also doubled – "albeit coming off a modest base," Bains conceded – and former player Brett Goodes is in charge of a club office there.

"A lot of the value of the partnership, to be honest, is really in those partnerships and relationships struck on an annual basis," Bains said.

"The match returns are still important, I suppose, but the aim will always be at a stadium with that level of capacity to fill it.

"We're really comfortable with the relationship … one little hiccup was not getting a full house on Saturday, but we'll remedy that ahead of round 19."

Bains was also confident of securing superstar premiership player Marcus Bontempelli beyond his existing deal, which expires in 2019.

"Sam Power, our head of list and recruiting, has been in contact with (Bontempelli's manager) Tom Petroro and discussions continue to bubble along," Bains said.

"The most pleasing part of that, regardless of how long it takes from here, is that there's an intent to get it done, which is a great reflection on where the club's at and where the club's going."

Bontempelli (hip) was a late withdrawal at the weekend and Bains said he would miss again if he failed to train fully on Thursday.

Post Thanks / Like

Biggest issue with the round 19 game is it is at 3.20 on a Sunday. By the time the game finishes at around 6pm, then there is the drive home. May put off some supporters.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Biggest issue with the round 19 game is it is at 3.20 on a Sunday. By the time the game finishes at around 6pm, then there is the drive home. May put off some supporters.
    It will be pitch black halfway through the last qtr. Honestly who comes up with this shit at the AFEL?
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    It will be pitch black halfway through the last qtr. Honestly who comes up with this shit at the AFEL?
    Surely they have to re-think this one.

Post Thanks / Like

Surely they have to re-think this one.
    The problem is the early game on that Sunday is in Tassie which would face the same problems with a 3:20pm game.

The Gold Coast game should have been on Saturday 19th May when most country leagues in Victoria play interleague and therefore the vast majority of country footballers, netballers, supporters, etc in the Ballarat area would have the Saturday off. Can't expect the AFL to know or care what's going on at grassroots level though.

15. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    The problem is the early game on that Sunday is in Tassie which would face the same problems with a 3:20pm game.

The Gold Coast game should have been on Saturday 19th May when most country leagues in Victoria play interleague and therefore the vast majority of country footballers, netballers, supporters, etc in the Ballarat area would have the Saturday off. Can't expect the AFL to know or care what's going on at grassroots level though.
    Yep, it's nothin' to do with the AFL.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclusive member discounts for Ballarat clash

Western Bulldogs members will have discounted access to the Club’s Round 19 clash at Ballarat’s Mars Stadium against Port Adelaide.
    Available now, Western Bulldogs members have access to $5 general admission tickets for the July 29 clash, and can access reserved seats from just $21 (subject to availability).

BUY TICKETS NOW | Click here to access the discounted member tickets via Ticketmaster.

Reserved seats for Mars Stadium clashes were previously only available through dedicated Ballarat Memberships.

“Since our first game in Ballarat earlier this season, the Club has reviewed its ticketing and membership services for Mars Stadium, based on extensive feedback from our members,” said Bulldogs’ CEO Ameet Bains.

“We have made a number of changes to ticketing, access for members and accommodation packages to ensure the upcoming Round 19 fixture is more easily accessible for our members and fans.

“We look forward to seeing as many fans in red, white and blue in Ballarat on July 29.

Non-members can access tickets to the match from $25 for general admission tickets, and from $46 for reserved seats for adults.
    An early-bird accommodation offer is also available to both Bulldogs members and fans who wish to make a weekend of their visit to the regional city. Accommodation packages including one-night’s twin-share accommodation in Ballarat and two-reserved seat tickets to the match start from just $195.

BOOK YOUR ACCOMODATION NOW | Discover the great accommodation packages available to Bulldogs members and fans, and book now.

This offer is available until June 30 and is subject to availability, so members and fans are advised to get in early to avoid disappointment.

DISCOVER BALLARAT | Make a weekend of the Bulldogs' home match in Ballarat, discover everything else there is to see in and around the regional city.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad they've listened to their members this time around although the poor turnout from last time probably forced their hand this way.