Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  68
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who's going to Ballarat?

Will be there. It's feeling like a bit of a chore though.

Post Thanks / Like

Will be there with thermals and poncho too. Spent a few hours on small banner last night “We love Fergus Greene the goal machine”. Hope I suffer RSI waving it every time he kicks a goal. Frostbite a distinct possibility....

3. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it the weather, the timeslot, the travel times required or our form (or a combination of everything) that has made up the mind of some of our WOOF community to not want to go?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Is it the weather, the timeslot, the travel times required or our form (or a combination of everything) that has made up the mind of some of our WOOF community to not want to go?
    A, B, C for me.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Tomorrow is the only Trugo practice for a while and selection for a match coming up so that's why I'm missing but if it was a really vital game with an important outcome I'm sure I'd revise my priorities and make it.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

The timelsot. In reality, if the game finishes say 5:45 or so, by the time you get into your car and on the road, could be 6.30, with a drive of 1.30 - so home by 8pm. I think that has a big factor.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Travel time is a very small factor compared to the others - Eastern suburb supporters notwithstanding. Let's learn from this and schedule Sunday 1.10pm for all our Ballarar games moving forward.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Have all of our other Ballarat games started at 1.10?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Have all of our other Ballarat games started at 1.10?
    Last year was 2.10pm Saturday and earlier this year was 1.45pm Saturday. By all accounts Saturday is a crap day for Ballarat matches due to local sport in the area.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

The ground is about a 3 minute drive from my place and I've struggled to get motivated to go. I will because my son wants to go (I think it's more about getting to eat a hot jam donut for him) and it's Bont's 100th but man, given how unwatchable this team is right now, it's a chore to give up 2-3 hours.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    The ground is about a 3 minute drive from my place and I've struggled to get motivated to go. I will because my son wants to go (I think it's more about getting to eat a hot jam donut for him) and it's Bont's 100th but man, given how unwatchable this team is right now, it's a chore to give up 2-3 hours.
    I tend to think the issue of how we are playing is sweeping through our members who have effectively signed off on the season. Hopefully many of them haven't also checked out for next season as well

This is the 3rd game and the novelty of playing games in Ballarat has already worn off for many of the members and unless the club gets a bounce in form soon, games in Ballarat won't be the financial windfall we hoped for.

Post Thanks / Like

I will be going, been to all the games including the Hawks JLT. I quite like the ground. The weather on the other hand. Top of 9. Cairns today top of 28. Cairns how I miss thee.

14. Likes GVGjr, bulldogtragic, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I will be going, been to all the games including the Hawks JLT. I quite like the ground. The weather on the other hand. Top of 9. Cairns today top of 28. Cairns how I miss thee.
    Great effort Granty, I went to many games at the WO where conditions were somewhat similar and equally as challenging. Today won't be a lot different to the good old days.

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to think the issue of how we are playing is sweeping through our members who have effectively signed off on the season. Hopefully many of them haven't also checked out for next season as well

This is the 3rd game and the novelty of playing games in Ballarat has already worn off for many of the members and unless the club gets a bounce in form soon, games in Ballarat won't be the financial windfall we hoped for.
    This was what I was thinking to myself after the last fixture there. I'm starting to see a few problems that I'm not sure we can fix easily. For staters, we need to play a relatively low drawing interstate team. But, to really pack it out and get a buzz about things a fixture against a team who has a 1,000 or so nearby members and desire to put on buses for Melbourne members would be better. But what good is a packed out Mars stadium when a better than half full Etihad is better. No way in hell will the AFEL let us play a good Victorian side up there.

Then there's form as you say. Not to mention the 22 listed to play isn't really a team that screams come and watch us... probably lose.

Then there was always the novelty factor. Could we continue to replicate the first crowd. No is the answer.

Then the club was between a rock and a hard place. The heavily discounting of tickets was good for members, but at its current rate next year's tickets will be catchoftheday.com.au or similar at 90% off. There's a wiff of desperation around the move. I'm not potting the club, they're between a rock and a hard place on it.

Then there's location for some, weather for others which are an impediment. For the locals side of things, I wonder how many people we pissed off by promising all the players to go there on their Mad Monday after the premiership, which obviously didn't happen. I wonder how we are tracking for Ballarat membership sales and our expectations in 2016?

So as I see it, it's the timing, the fixture, which opposition teams we face, our form and team composition, the novelty wearing off, location, weather and needing to desperately get people out there by slashing prices. I'm sure things can get turned around, and they have to or the ground may never be completed which will ensure it never grows and dies a natural death. With so much time and effort into Edgewater and for it to unfortunately fall over, I'd hate to see all this time, effort and expense by the club go the same way.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

17. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

First home game I have missed this year. The time slot and distance from Rosebud are the 2 deal crunchers for me. Weather not an issue.