Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  6
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 30 of 30
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    34,752
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RIP Butch Litchfield

    Butch kicked some big bags in his time. Kicked 20 goals in one game against Mordiallic. Kicked over a ton at least twice, 115, and 136 (approx, can't remember exact)
    Premierships: SENIORS - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, 2014, 2016 . AFL 1954, 2016. RESERVES - 1938, 1945, 1962, 1988, 1994, 1998. UNDER 19S - 1954. Other Premierships - Championship of Victoria 1924. VFL Night Series 1963-64, 1967, 1970. Preseason Cup, 2010.

  2. Likes Eastdog liked this post
  3. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    sydenham
    Posts
    9,346
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RIP Butch Litchfield

    Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    The biggest waste of/unfulfilled local talent I ever saw John Sharp. He was outrageously talented sportsman I ever saw. He had a temper to match the talent unfourtrtunitely.
    He also coached at Totty, I bumped into him at whitten oval VFL games a few times and at a car park at Etihad , good bloke but white line fever in cricket and footy.
    Haven't caught up with him this year though.
    Hoping to go to the past players at Etihad this weekend see a few of my old mates I haven't seen in years. Will let them know about butch, he was well loved and respected even with the issues he had.
    Bring back the biff

  4. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    20,953
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RIP Butch Litchfield

    Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    He also coached at Totty, I bumped into him at whitten oval VFL games a few times and at a car park at Etihad , good bloke but white line fever in cricket and footy.
    Haven't caught up with him this year though.
    Hoping to go to the past players at Etihad this weekend see a few of my old mates I haven't seen in years. Will let them know about butch, he was well loved and respected even with the issues he had.
    I had a bit to do with John Sharp at Yarraville when he was coaching them. One day I'm standing behind the goals at Yarraville oval watching the game when Sharpie wanders over to where I'm standing. He was captain coach but he'd been suspended for thumping an umpire so he's stood in the crowd (wasn't allowed into the coaches box) watching the game with the rest of us. He says to me, "jump the fence and go and tell Frank Vegona (umpire) that he's a *!*!*!*!" I didn't do it.

    I heard a story that Sharpie didn't have a successful first class cricket career due to an incident one night at state training in the early 70s at the MCG. The practice wickets were underprepared so they asked the quicks to keep the ball to the batsmen and not bowl short. He was halfway through his run when he thought "*!*!*!*! this, how often do bowlers have conditions like this?" and hit Bill Lawry with a viscious bouncer. Sharpie was told to collect his gear and not to bother coming back.
    AFLW Premiers 2018




    After speaking to Obie for about fourty-five minutes on the telephone we
    Finally arrived at the truth of the matter and said that we had to go down
    And pick up the garbage, and also had to go down and speak to him at the
    Police officer's station. So we got in the red vw microbus with the
    Shovels and rakes and implements of destruction and headed on toward the
    Police officer's station.

    Now friends, there was only one or two things that Obie coulda done at
    The police station, and the first was he could have given us a medal for
    Being so brave and honest on the telephone, which wasn't very likely, and
    We didn't expect it, and the other thing was he could have bawled us out
    And told us never to be seen driving garbage around the vicinity again,
    Which is what we expected, but when we got to the police officer's station
    There was a third possibility that we hadn't even counted upon, and we was
    Both immediately arrested. Handcuffed. And I said "Obie, I don't think I
    Can pick up the garbage with these handcuffs on. " He said, "Shut up, kid.
    Get in the back of the patrol car. "




    Arlo Guthrie

    WOOF NUMBER 6

  5. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    sydenham
    Posts
    9,346
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RIP Butch Litchfield

    Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I had a bit to do with John Sharp at Yarraville when he was coaching them. One day I'm standing behind the goals at Yarraville oval watching the game when Sharpie wanders over to where I'm standing. He was captain coach but he'd been suspended for thumping an umpire so he's stood in the crowd (wasn't allowed into the coaches box) watching the game with the rest of us. He says to me, "jump the fence and go and tell Frank Vegona (umpire) that he's a *!*!*!*!" I didn't do it.

    I heard a story that Sharpie didn't have a successful first class cricket career due to an incident one night at state training in the early 70s at the MCG. The practice wickets were underprepared so they asked the quicks to keep the ball to the batsmen and not bowl short. He was halfway through his run when he thought "*!*!*!*! this, how often do bowlers have conditions like this?" and hit Bill Lawry with a viscious bouncer. Sharpie was told to collect his gear and not to bother coming back.
    I have a few stories on sharpie he definitely is a character and hot head , I think he has mellowed a little nowadays though.
    Bring back the biff

  6. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    20,953
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RIP Butch Litchfield

    Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I have a few stories on sharpie he definitely is a character and hot head , I think he has mellowed a little nowadays though.
    When Sharpie finished up at Yarraville (actually I think Yarraville folded but Sharpie stayed loyal until the end so Yarraville finished up with him really) he went to coach East Newport, they had a bit of cash to flash and recruited some really good players and went on an unbeaten run-20 games, 30 games, 40 games, they got to 48 consecutive wins and Sharpie had to go overseas at short notice. That weekend East Newport played a draw and the other coachs drew short straws to avoid the job of going and ringing John to tell him they didn't win, even though it was over the phone they know the anger that would hit them. They didn't lose either but nobody in their right mind was thinking that Sharpie was going to see it from that point if view.
    AFLW Premiers 2018




    After speaking to Obie for about fourty-five minutes on the telephone we
    Finally arrived at the truth of the matter and said that we had to go down
    And pick up the garbage, and also had to go down and speak to him at the
    Police officer's station. So we got in the red vw microbus with the
    Shovels and rakes and implements of destruction and headed on toward the
    Police officer's station.

    Now friends, there was only one or two things that Obie coulda done at
    The police station, and the first was he could have given us a medal for
    Being so brave and honest on the telephone, which wasn't very likely, and
    We didn't expect it, and the other thing was he could have bawled us out
    And told us never to be seen driving garbage around the vicinity again,
    Which is what we expected, but when we got to the police officer's station
    There was a third possibility that we hadn't even counted upon, and we was
    Both immediately arrested. Handcuffed. And I said "Obie, I don't think I
    Can pick up the garbage with these handcuffs on. " He said, "Shut up, kid.
    Get in the back of the patrol car. "




    Arlo Guthrie

    WOOF NUMBER 6

  7. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    13,378
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RIP Butch Litchfield

    Terrific talent and should have played at a higher level. Lot of blokes around that time should have played a higher level

  8. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    sydenham
    Posts
    9,346
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RIP Butch Litchfield

    Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Terrific talent and should have played at a higher level. Lot of blokes around that time should have played a higher level
    I agree , party era with the mates, but in saying that you didn't make a living playing footy back then you still had to have a job.
    Bring back the biff

  9. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    sydenham
    Posts
    9,346
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RIP Butch Litchfield

    Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    When Sharpie finished up at Yarraville (actually I think Yarraville folded but Sharpie stayed loyal until the end so Yarraville finished up with him really) he went to coach East Newport, they had a bit of cash to flash and recruited some really good players and went on an unbeaten run-20 games, 30 games, 40 games, they got to 48 consecutive wins and Sharpie had to go overseas at short notice. That weekend East Newport played a draw and the other coachs drew short straws to avoid the job of going and ringing John to tell him they didn't win, even though it was over the phone they know the anger that would hit them. They didn't lose either but nobody in their right mind was thinking that Sharpie was going to see it from that point if view.
    he was also married/ dating a model belinda Green or was it Karen west ?
    Story goes he broke up with her and a spectator had a poster of her out of a mag and ran over to him and said you used to get this for free now you have to pay $2.50 just to look at her.
    Bring back the biff

  10. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    20,953
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RIP Butch Litchfield

    Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    he was also married/ dating a model belinda Green or was it Karen west ?
    Story goes he broke up with her and a spectator had a poster of her out of a mag and ran over to him and said you used to get this for free now you have to pay $2.50 just to look at her.
    He was a brave man.

    I was batting with our #9 one day at a FCA match at Footscray Gardens. He was just young kid, 16 maybe, but he knew which end of the bat to hold and he was playing carefully watching the ball onto his bat and had held up his end for a while, we'd batted for about ten overs and had put on a few runs but we were more interested in batting out the day and drawing the match from a hopeless position.

    Anyway the last hour ticks around and we start the 20 overs that had to be bowled in the last hour back then. Kid faces up, Sharpie bounces him, kid faces up Sharpie bounces him but we run a bye and I play out the over. In Johns next over he bounces the kid two more times. As he walks past me I shrug my shoulders and say "Come on mate, he's just a kid and he's batting at 9!" Sharpie says "*!*!*!*! him. He's got a bat hasn't he?"
    AFLW Premiers 2018




    After speaking to Obie for about fourty-five minutes on the telephone we
    Finally arrived at the truth of the matter and said that we had to go down
    And pick up the garbage, and also had to go down and speak to him at the
    Police officer's station. So we got in the red vw microbus with the
    Shovels and rakes and implements of destruction and headed on toward the
    Police officer's station.

    Now friends, there was only one or two things that Obie coulda done at
    The police station, and the first was he could have given us a medal for
    Being so brave and honest on the telephone, which wasn't very likely, and
    We didn't expect it, and the other thing was he could have bawled us out
    And told us never to be seen driving garbage around the vicinity again,
    Which is what we expected, but when we got to the police officer's station
    There was a third possibility that we hadn't even counted upon, and we was
    Both immediately arrested. Handcuffed. And I said "Obie, I don't think I
    Can pick up the garbage with these handcuffs on. " He said, "Shut up, kid.
    Get in the back of the patrol car. "




    Arlo Guthrie

    WOOF NUMBER 6

  11. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    EJ Whitten Stand
    Posts
    11,872
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RIP Butch Litchfield

    Sad news.

    Was before my time (born late 80s) so wouldn't know him.

    It's cool reading through the memories that ledge and Twodogs have about the old school days.

    My thoughts are with his family and friends.
    AFL PREMIERS 2016

  12. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    sydenham
    Posts
    9,346
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RIP Butch Litchfield

    Found some footage of butch and a few of my old mates , Darren Brown (17) Bernie Menadue( Connors dad) Bucky Shepperbottom, who can be found on the board at Braybrook football club nowadays. Mentions Butch kicked 130 goals that year.
    https://youtu.be/Y-qNbXzMYyc

    I often catch up with Darren still at AFL VFL .
    Butch, Darren,Bucky all played at Footscray at some stage.
    Great era.
    Anthony Dorgan also played that day his son was at Richmond too I believe.
    Butchs son Jack played at Albion and hoppers and got a job as a PT trainer with some Sheik in Dubai so he is now over there.
    Bring back the biff

  13. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
  14. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    20,953
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RIP Butch Litchfield

    Bucky was a fair player. If you were looking for X factor.
    AFLW Premiers 2018




    After speaking to Obie for about fourty-five minutes on the telephone we
    Finally arrived at the truth of the matter and said that we had to go down
    And pick up the garbage, and also had to go down and speak to him at the
    Police officer's station. So we got in the red vw microbus with the
    Shovels and rakes and implements of destruction and headed on toward the
    Police officer's station.

    Now friends, there was only one or two things that Obie coulda done at
    The police station, and the first was he could have given us a medal for
    Being so brave and honest on the telephone, which wasn't very likely, and
    We didn't expect it, and the other thing was he could have bawled us out
    And told us never to be seen driving garbage around the vicinity again,
    Which is what we expected, but when we got to the police officer's station
    There was a third possibility that we hadn't even counted upon, and we was
    Both immediately arrested. Handcuffed. And I said "Obie, I don't think I
    Can pick up the garbage with these handcuffs on. " He said, "Shut up, kid.
    Get in the back of the patrol car. "




    Arlo Guthrie

    WOOF NUMBER 6

  15. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    sydenham
    Posts
    9,346
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RIP Butch Litchfield

    Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Bucky was a fair player. If you were looking for X factor.
    I coached him in a game of cricket at Totty under 16s he was captain and didn't want to play ( can you believe it ?) anyway we were batting and after a chat about not letting his mates down etc he went out and hit a ton in 20 overs, he had that much talent but just didn't care.
    Braybrook has a reunion once a year at the braybrook footy club, you just have to have lived in braybrook to go , I caught up with a lot of people from the 80s. Bucky was running the bar with his son , hawk turned up, Robbie Magee, and at the last one the blue echoes lead singer Phil galotta did a few songs ( another braybrook boy).
    It also is a great fundraiser for a struggling club, I always say never forget your roots the memories are just wonderful.
    Sadly a few have passed away and now butch joins that club.
    I'm only 54 and my heart breaks to see someone one year and the next year they have passed away.
    Bring back the biff

  16. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    20,953
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RIP Butch Litchfield

    Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I coached him in a game of cricket at Totty under 16s he was captain and didn't want to play( can you believe it ?) anyway we were batting and after a chat about not letting his mates down etc he went out and hit a ton in 20 overs, he had that much talent but just didn't care.
    Braybrook has a reunion once a year at the braybrook footy club, you just have to have lived in braybrook to go , I caught up with a lot of people from the 80s. Bucky was running the bar with his son , hawk turned up, Robbie Magee, and at the last one the blue echoes lead singer Phil galotta did a few songs ( another braybrook boy).
    It also is a great fundraiser for a struggling club, I always say never forget your roots the memories are just wonderful.
    Sadly a few have passed away and now butch joins that club.
    I'm only 54 and my heart breaks to see someone one year and the next year they have passed away.
    You do surprise me.

    I can remember playing in a game at Angliss reserve on the corner of Roberts st and Francis st and looking at the games going on around me there were two ex test cricketers (Eastwood and Joslin) playing. I played cricket away from the FCA in different comps around Melbourne for 25 years and once I saw an old test cricketer play when Julian Weiner filled in for his son as 12 man so it wasn't like an ongoing thing.
    AFLW Premiers 2018




    After speaking to Obie for about fourty-five minutes on the telephone we
    Finally arrived at the truth of the matter and said that we had to go down
    And pick up the garbage, and also had to go down and speak to him at the
    Police officer's station. So we got in the red vw microbus with the
    Shovels and rakes and implements of destruction and headed on toward the
    Police officer's station.

    Now friends, there was only one or two things that Obie coulda done at
    The police station, and the first was he could have given us a medal for
    Being so brave and honest on the telephone, which wasn't very likely, and
    We didn't expect it, and the other thing was he could have bawled us out
    And told us never to be seen driving garbage around the vicinity again,
    Which is what we expected, but when we got to the police officer's station
    There was a third possibility that we hadn't even counted upon, and we was
    Both immediately arrested. Handcuffed. And I said "Obie, I don't think I
    Can pick up the garbage with these handcuffs on. " He said, "Shut up, kid.
    Get in the back of the patrol car. "




    Arlo Guthrie

    WOOF NUMBER 6

  17. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    sydenham
    Posts
    9,346
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RIP Butch Litchfield

    Good to see Butch get a mention on channel 7 VFL game day coverage, his funeral is on Monday at Altona , I imagine it will be huge.
    Bring back the biff

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •