Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Nic Nat's Tackle

LINK

I'm not sure if this tackle is receiving as much media coverage in Victoria, but it's been getting heaps in WA; and for good reason too.

My 5 cents worth. I think it is an utter disgrace that he was suspended and believe it will spell the end of the tackle as we know it. He didn't sling, he didn't pin both arms. It was a strong tackle, and it was definitely in the back, but that is all. This decision is disgraceful; to have to take this to the tribunal and for them to uphold the original decision?

I'm dumbfounded.
    WOOF Member 422

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nic Nat's Tackle

Yeah it’s how the game is going, not sure how I feel about it.

As an aside, in all of the examples they have shown of him tackling like that his targets have been smaller blokes and he’s clearly trying to hurt them....
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

The AFL are so paranoid about litigation when it comes to any head knock that they are finding ways to suspend players almost every time there is a concussive event.

Makes one wonder how the Hawthorn guy who knocked Higgins out got off scott free, and Nic Nat gets a week for a tackle.
    Footscray member since 1980.

5. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    The AFL are so paranoid about litigation when it comes to any head knock that they are finding ways to suspend players almost every time there is a concussive event.

Makes one wonder how the Hawthorn guy who knocked Higgins out got off scott free, and Nic Nat gets a week for a tackle.
    Whilst I think Nic Nat was worth a week, he's going to cripple someone if he keeps tackling like that and like Jeemak I have noted it's only ever the smaller guys he does it to so I'm happy to see him suspended just on that basis alone, the Hawthorn player (was it Cicily?) should have got weeks for what he did to Higgins (and I'm not on the habit of feeling bad for Shaun Higgin-he annoyed me even when he played for us.).
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Whilst I think Nic Nat was worth a week, he's going to cripple someone if he keeps tackling like that and like Jeemak I have noted it's only ever the smaller guys he does it to so I'm happy to see him suspended just on that basis alone, the Hawthorn player (was it Cicily?) should have got weeks for what he did to Higgins (and I'm not on the habit of feeling bad for Shaun Higgin-he annoyed me even when he played for us.).
    How many blokes out on the field, in opposition colours sold be bigger than NicNat? �� A bit rough to highlight that he is tackling smaller blokes!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    How many blokes out on the field, in opposition colours sold be bigger than NicNat? �� A bit rough to highlight that he is tackling smaller blokes!
    Yeah fair point. I guess it's all relative.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Complete and utter garbage that he should get rubbed out for that. In the back, free kick, sure. The arms weren’t pinned, despite what that cretin Christian says. Christian also decreed that James Sicily merely ‘placed’ his knee in the back of Selwoods head -an act far worse. He is an embarrassment.

If that’s a week, be prepared for suspensions every single game.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    LINK

I'm not sure if this tackle is receiving as much media coverage in Victoria, but it's been getting heaps in WA; and for good reason too.

My 5 cents worth. I think it is an utter disgrace that he was suspended and believe it will spell the end of the tackle as we know it. He didn't sling, he didn't pin both arms. It was a strong tackle, and it was definitely in the back, but that is all. This decision is disgraceful; to have to take this to the tribunal and for them to uphold the original decision?

I'm dumbfounded.
    Great tackle. Strong and fair. EJ would've rolled over after hearing that decision.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

By smaller blokes I meant smaller for the AFL, not him.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with the OP
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

You guys must be farking kidding.

He hits a player who's taking (not taken, taking) possession of the ball. The player is at right angles to him and his momentum.

He turns the player 90 degrees and begins using his weight and momentum to drivie him to the ground. Note both there is no weight on either of the tacklers feet.

Driving forward, his foot touches down ands he adds to the momentum

The entire weight of his torso is dropped onto the tackled player

In an attempt to protect himself, the tackled player attempts to get his ams down as the ball spills free. The tackler noe has both feet off the ground, utilising all his weight and momentum. There is no attempt to turn the player away from dangerous contact with the surface.

The tackler continues to turn his own body, making no attempt to turn the body of the tackled player. Instead, the tackled players body is driven directly into the turf at right angles to how he was standing, resulting in his head whipping into the surface.

The tackler continues to use his weight and momentum to force the tackled player in the direction of the momentum, resulting in seriously dangerous pressure on the players neck.

Naitanui chose to tackle in an unduly rough and dangerous way, and was suspended for rough play.

How on earth could that be wrong.

15. Thanks jeemak, N/A, merantau, bornadog, hujsh thanked for this post
    Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NoseBleed View Post
    You guys must be farking kidding.

He hits a player who's taking (not taken, taking) possession of the ball. The player is at right angles to him and his momentum.

He turns the player 90 degrees and begins using his weight and momentum to drivie him to the ground. Note both there is no weight on either of the tacklers feet.

Driving forward, his foot touches down ands he adds to the momentum

The entire weight of his torso is dropped onto the tackled player

In an attempt to protect himself, the tackled player attempts to get his ams down as the ball spills free. The tackler noe has both feet off the ground, utilising all his weight and momentum. There is no attempt to turn the player away from dangerous contact with the surface.

The tackler continues to turn his own body, making no attempt to turn the body of the tackled player. Instead, the tackled players body is driven directly into the turf at right angles to how he was standing, resulting in his head whipping into the surface.

The tackler continues to use his weight and momentum to force the tackled player in the direction of the momentum, resulting in seriously dangerous pressure on the players neck.

Naitanui chose to tackle in an unduly rough and dangerous way, and was suspended for rough play.

How on earth could that be wrong.
    Christian claimed, on television, that the arms were pinned. That clearly wasn't the case, as both the video and these stills show. That is a key aspect of the guilty finding, and it wasn't there.

Post Thanks / Like

The official statement for the charge was

"Nic Naitanui, West Coast, has been charged with engaging in rough conduct against Karl Amon, Port Adelaide, during the fourth quarter of the Round Seven match between West Coast and Port Adelaide, played at Optus Stadium on Saturday May 5, 2018.
    In summary, he can accept a one-match sanction with an early plea.
    Based on the available video evidence and a medical report from the Port Adelaide Football Club, the incident was assessed as careless conduct with medium impact to the head. The incident was assessed as a one-match sanction. The player can accept a one-match sanction with an early plea."

Nothing there about arms being pinned.

Look at the photos. Both are are pinned at one stage or another until it's too late.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NoseBleed View Post
    The official statement for the charge was

"Nic Naitanui, West Coast, has been charged with engaging in rough conduct against Karl Amon, Port Adelaide, during the fourth quarter of the Round Seven match between West Coast and Port Adelaide, played at Optus Stadium on Saturday May 5, 2018.
    In summary, he can accept a one-match sanction with an early plea.
    Based on the available video evidence and a medical report from the Port Adelaide Football Club, the incident was assessed as careless conduct with medium impact to the head. The incident was assessed as a one-match sanction. The player can accept a one-match sanction with an early plea."

Nothing there about arms being pinned.

Look at the photos. Both are are pinned at one stage or another until it's too late.
    It’s easy to see things in still images. The video footage, with players moving at the speed it actually occurred, clearly shows Amon’s arms not pinned, which the sole person who levied the sanction in the first place, used as justification for his ridiculous finding. One of Nic’s arms is around Amon’s waist, that’s very clear. Watch the footage.

19. Likes SonofScray liked this post