Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

List management and salary cap

So I get lost every year on this subject, what is the salary cap for each club and amount of players on the list , do rookie players come under the salary cap?
    I know their is a lot of variables as in what you spent last year and how it banks for the next year, front loading , back loading or mid loading contracts.
    But I believe you can get away with only spending 97% of your salary cap .
    Anyone have any details on this over the next few years seeings a new deal was made last year?
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Re: List management and salary cap

It was $12.4m last season - and it gets to $13.54m by 2022 - so somewhere in between there right now. Think it might be 12.55m this season.

Clubs have to pay at least 95%.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    It was $12.4m last season - and it gets to $13.54m by 2022 - so somewhere in between there right now. Think it might be 12.55m this season.

Clubs have to pay at least 95%.
    And how many players are on a list ? I'm just trying to figure out the average and would be interesting to know the lowest contract you can be on .
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

I had a thought that why couldn't every player be on the same wage and what you get from selling your name is the bonus , eg jumpers sold with your number on , Brownlow or other awards that you get are your plus income. Captain and vice captain get a little more , bit like a true work place.
    I think it would solve players chasing money, every ones equal , clubs aren't struggling with the salary cap.
    Ok I'm looking at things very simple but it would make it a hell of a lot easier and stop the crap million dollar a year contracts.
    Players want to call it a workplace so why should one get more than another when they are employed to do the same thing?
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    And how many players are on a list ? I'm just trying to figure out the average and would be interesting to know the lowest contract you can be on .
    A basic first year draftee contract is $70 grand in the first year going up to $120 in the second, I remember that from the Tom Boyd trade.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    A basic first year draftee contract is $70 grand in the first year going up to $120 in the second, I remember that from the Tom Boyd trade.
    That's a couple of years ago , I imagine it would be minimum 100,000 , jumping to 150,000
    If there's 40 players a list on average players would be on over 300,000 now. That's a great wage in itself . And all players have a minimum 2 years , that's a fair start on life 600,000 even if you don't get recontracted.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the info you are after in an article from last year:

Players get 20 per cent pay rise in new CBA

AFL PLAYERS will receive a 20 per cent pay rise this year after a new $1.84 billion dollar, six-year pay deal was announced in Adelaide on Tuesday afternoon.

The bumper pay rise lifts the average player wage from $309,000 to $371,000 and the player salary cap from $10.37m to $12.45m.

In 2022, the final year of the agreement, the average player wage will be $389,000 with a salary cap of $13.54m.

The wage for a first-round draft pick has been set at $88,000 in the first year of the deal, while rookies will be paid at least $71,500.

The minimum salary for players beyond their second season has been set at $100,000.
    There are 44 on a list (usually 40 primary, 4 rookies). You can have more if you have category B rookies.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a bloody good deal.
    How do I get on a list for two years at the age of 54 ? Rekon I might not get on the field much but sure I can be multi skilled , cleaner trainer, hot dog seller, even security at VFL games and score board operater.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    First round picks get a higher base salary, and it's a scale based on their position in the draft.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I had a thought that why couldn't every player be on the same wage and what you get from selling your name is the bonus , eg jumpers sold with your number on , Brownlow or other awards that you get are your plus income. Captain and vice captain get a little more , bit like a true work place.
    I think it would solve players chasing money, every ones equal , clubs aren't struggling with the salary cap.
    Ok I'm looking at things very simple but it would make it a hell of a lot easier and stop the crap million dollar a year contracts.
    Players want to call it a workplace so why should one get more than another when they are employed to do the same thing?
    Because believe it or not you often have people doing largely the same job being paid vastly different salaries at the same company.

Post Thanks / Like

So you want to pay Jack Macrae and Callum Porter the same?

I'm sorry Ledge, I don't think you're going to get much support on this one.

Post Thanks / Like

Because some do it at a higher standard than others. Equal pay regardless of performance is called communism, it's been an unmitigated failure everywhere it's been tried.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Because some do it at a higher standard than others. Equal pay regardless of performance is called communism, it's been an unmitigated failure everywhere it's been tried.
    and it failed due to corruption, like paper bags under the desk and Visy ambassadors.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

And Collingwood under Jock McHale! Those boys loved the old man and played for the jumper. They all got three quid a week from Syd Coventry down to the 19th man, unless he didn't get on the ground then he only got 30 shillings.

Wren and Madden and those blokes were giving the players houses for wedding presents and wallets stuffed with money at the end of every season. But the club only payed the players their three quid.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

...or an award wage.