Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  31
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Players you don't rate

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Surprised Lewis Taylor hasn't rated a mention. Runs around in circles all day. Nice handball to Bailey Dale standing the mark last week too

Gary Cowton stretched doing pretty much that into a 200+ game career.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    It's interesting one, he's the same age and played in the same TAC Cup team as Jack Macrae. Macrae is tracking at Brownlow pace and AMT is struggling to get a game, yet their media profile and the acclaim they receive is about equal.
    Neither of those statements are true. Tipungwuti played for Gippsland and Macrae for Oakleigh. Macrae is 16 months younger. I don't get the comparison at all. One is a top ten draft pick and the other came through the rookie draft via the VFL.

Yes quick exciting indigenous players tend to get hyped up by the media more than their actual output probably deserves, but really who cares?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Neither of those statements are true. Tipungwuti played for Gippsland and Macrae for Oakleigh. Macrae is 16 months younger. I don't get the comparison at all. One is a top ten draft pick and the other came through the rookie draft via the VFL.
    I meant to write played in the same TAC cup grand final. They were on opposing teams in that game and came through the TAC Cup competition at the same time. In the video of Macrae kicking the match winning point Tipungwuti was in the play.

The comparison was he was described as a young man. I wouldn't describe Jack Macrae as a young man beyond criticism due to his age, and they came through the ranks at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Yes quick exciting indigenous players tend to get hyped up by the media more than their actual output probably deserves, but really who cares?
    You care clearly? Are you looking for some outrage?
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

I meant to write played in the same TAC cup grand final. They were on opposing teams in that game and came through the TAC Cup competition at the same time. In the video of Macrae kicking the match winning point Tipungwuti was in the play.

The comparison was he was described as a young man. I wouldn't describe Jack Macrae as a young man beyond criticism due to his age, and they came through the ranks at the same time.

You care clearly? Are you looking for some outrage?
    You compared the media attention the two get. My only point was who cares who the media choose to over-hype and who they choose to comparatively ignore. It's been going on forever. Macrae is getting plenty of attention now anyway.

As for your last line I honestly don't know what you are getting at.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    You compared the media attention the two get. My only point was who cares who the media choose to over-hype and who they choose to comparatively ignore. It's been going on forever. Macrae is getting plenty of attention now anyway.

As for your last line I honestly don't know what you are getting at.
    Perhaps you should check the post I was replying to.

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti. This could be harsh because he is still a young man but the way the media has jumped on him you'd think he was better than Eddie Betts. He constantly gets caught trying to do too much and he's a terrible kick.
    You'll note the reference to the media attention and that fact that he was described as young. I pointed out the two players came through the same elite pathway at the same time, and I wouldn't describe either as young.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Your post changed after I first read it and still has ratsmac's name on my quote. Any wonder I'm confused. I'll leave it there.

7. Likes bornadog, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Gary Cowton stretched doing pretty much that into a 200+ game career.
    My favourite Cowton story:

Barassi (screaming): "Cowton, are you ignorant or are you just apathetic?"
    Cowton: "I don't know and I don't care."
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

9. Likes N/A, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jamie Cripps from West Coast has it, he's played 126 games so far as a forward/mid and has an impressive tank. Mcartin just looks like a bush league footballer who strolled in off the farm and found out AFL footy is harder than he expected.
    Nathan Bassett also.

Apparently when Saints drafted Cripps they didn’t know he had diabetes. Talk about lack of research.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    My favourite Cowton story:

Barassi (screaming): "Cowton, are you ignorant or are you just apathetic?"
    Cowton: "I don't know and I don't care."
    Pretty sure that was Brent Croswell, who was a prodigiously talented footballer (I just missed his playing peak). He was so good and so casual that the Geoff Hayward character from The Club was based on him.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Pretty sure that was Brent Croswell, who was a prodigiously talented footballer (I just missed his playing peak). He was so good and so casual that the Geoff Hayward character from The Club was based on him.
    'Tiger' is also very intelligent and quick witted. I could easily believe that story.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Surprised Lewis Taylor hasn't rated a mention. Runs around in circles all day. Nice handball to Bailey Dale standing the mark last week too
    He had 30m gained at halftime against us. From over 10 possessions.

30m.

If a player could ever be accused of being a crab, it's Taylor. He's the absolute opposite of Bailey Williams who started his career with no fanfare, took a couple of years to get established, and right now is one of the top metres gained players in the competition.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

14. Likes Topdog, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    He had 30m gained at halftime against us. From over 10 possessions.

30m.

If a player could ever be accused of being a crab, it's Taylor. He's the absolute opposite of Bailey Williams who started his career with no fanfare, took a couple of years to get established, and right now is one of the top metres gained players in the competition.
    and he is still only 20 years old.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Bailey Dale

Have been very unimpressed by him particularly this year. He's just not doing enough and he's been around long enough.

For a player who plays high half forward/wing and has played every game this year here are some telling stats
    - averaging just 15 possessions a game this year
    - kicked only 6 goals (& 10 behinds)
    - laid only 7 tackles.
    - ranks near the bottom for 1% er's
    - ranks near the bottom for Inside 50 entries
    - has had more clangers than Luke Dahlhaus despite having only about 2/3's of the ball and in less contested situations
    - similar clanger count to Honeychurch and Gowers. Same amount of clangers as Macrae but from 165 less possessions

So he's not having much scoring impact and his defensive work is well below par. He only needs to look at his fellow draftees toby Mclean (56 tackles) or even Lucas Webb (13 tackles from 4 games) as an example.

At this stage of his career he should be producing better numbers than this if he is to be a regular in the senior side.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering how long it would take for one of our own to feature in this thread.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I was wondering how long it would take for one of our own to feature in this thread.
    58 posts, not bad.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.