Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  31
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Players you don't rate

This is a more “overrated” than “don’t rate at all” and a bit controversial, but I nominate Dustin Martin. There, I said it.

Sure he is powerful and bounces off of blokes. Sure he is a tricky forward matchup and can kick a few goals here or there. But if Dusty is getting 30 kicks you can bet your bottom dollar that 15 are going to land in the bread basket of the opposition. It’s one thing to fend a bloke off but if you turn it straight back over more often than not I don’t think you should be polling three votes in the Brownlow.

Top 20 or so in the league? Sure, I’ll accept that. But the best player in the league? Not for mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    He seems to be tracking towards being the next Rhys Palmer, including the obligatory rising star award given to any non-Victorian player who looks like they're vaguely familiar with the sport in their first year.

Let's hope he can make a similar contribution in a prelim final against us some day!
    I personally loved Mills' contribution in the 2016 GF every bit as much as Palmer's in the 2016 PF
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

3. Likes Twodogs, Flamethrower liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti. This could be harsh because he is still a young man but the way the media has jumped on him you'd think he was better than Eddie Betts. He constantly gets caught trying to do too much and he's a terrible kick.

While I'm kicking the Bumbers, Mark Baguley. For a defender he makes a lot of mistakes which result in goals. How he gets a game every week in an AFL side is staggering.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti. This could be harsh because he is still a young man but the way the media has jumped on him you'd think he was better than Eddie Betts. He constantly gets caught trying to do too much and he's a terrible kick.

While I'm kicking the Bumbers, Mark Baguley. For a defender he makes a lot of mistakes which result in goals. How he gets a game every week in an AFL side is staggering.
    It's interesting one, he's the same age and played in the same TAC Cup team as Jack Macrae. Macrae is tracking at Brownlow pace and AMT is struggling to get a game, yet their media profile and the acclaim they receive is about equal.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

6. Thanks ratsmac thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's interesting one, he's the same age and played in the same TAC Cup team as Jack Macrae. Macrae is tracking at Brownlow pace and AMT is struggling to get a game, yet their media profile and the acclaim they receive is about equal.
    There's a few factors at play with AMT:

1) He was a source of excitement in their ban year and that's stuck.
    2) He takes players on and has good defensive pressure.
    3) BT loves him, and as such everyone takes notice.

TBH I wish Jack had kept under the radar a bit longer. The secret is starting to get out and teams will start putting more work into him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    There's a few factors at play with AMT:

1) He was a source of excitement in their ban year and that's stuck.
    2) He takes players on and has good defensive pressure.
    3) BT loves him, and as such everyone takes notice.

TBH I wish Jack had kept under the radar a bit longer. The secret is starting to get out and teams will start putting more work into him.

Bulldogtragic is an influential poster, I will give you that. But I haven't noticed carrying on about AMT overly.

Anyway I've PM'd him and told him him what you said-a broad outline anyway-and asked him to stop laying it on so thick.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

9. Likes Scraggers, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I did not realise that fact. Wow.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Nakia Cockatoo - what has he actually ever done (apart from his hamstring)

He plays with a ridiculous level of over-confidence and is constantly trying to duck and weave around guys, with a very low success rate, and he is not overly quick or agile. His skills are only fair, and he doesn't really win any footy (career high disposal count is 15). He's also a middling finisher (25.23 career tally), which he doubles down on by being a pretty selfish player.

But in spite of all of this he's a top 5 player at the Cats according to some (Lloyd).

Agree on Parish - he's just so uninspiring.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

12. Likes soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I've never seen what the big fuss made about Paddy McArtin was about. He runs to bad spots, he's very clumsy, falls over in contests a lot, and the seven concussions since 2014 can't be good. I also worry about him being a diabetic. Dale Weightman is the only player I've seen overcome that.
    It's because he's dating Billy Brownless' daughter, and Billy has clearly put it to his buddies (i.e: the guys who call every single game of footy) to put wraps on him.

I actually heard Brayshaw say "gee he's just such a ripper kid" a couple of weeks ago.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

As an aside, I saw a Fox Footy show the other day when Leigh Montagna had a little segment that asked him to name the 5 best midfielders this year. His 5 were Fyfe, Martin, Macrae, Cripps and Mitchell (can't remember order, but Fyfe was #1). Pretty good list I thought, good to see Jack starting to get included in elite lists.

15. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Apologies for picking low hanging fruit, but this thread wouldn't be complete without Brendan Goddard's inclusion. Would be amongst the highest paid AFL players of the last 10-15 years, but has made a career out of playing 30 metres off the ball, waiting for a cheapie and waving his arms about, impersonating an 'architect'. Former #1 pick who actually showed something for a year or 2 at StKilda but for years has avoided the heavy work or running to positions that require him to take responsibility.

17. Likes Max469, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Liam jones anyone ?
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Bulldogtragic is an influential poster, I will give you that. But I haven't noticed carrying on about AMT overly.

Anyway I've PM'd him and told him him what you said-a broad outline anyway-and asked him to stop laying it on so thick.
    Sorry all. Back to my Stringer nomination, comfortably in the worsts in a loss to Carlton (winless kids). 14 disposals, 2 marks, no goals, and jeered by Essendon fans for touching the ball in the dying minutes. I almost feel sorry for their fans, and their club for giving us anything at the trade table. This could be the one that Dodoro might have to actually take heat on. But I bullshit, there's no sorrow at all for any of them.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

20. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Patton dropped this weak. Soft as , and is struggling for form in team with a midfield gone to pooh. Without Greene ( who hits everyone) and Cameron and swaps the soft as butter poition with Lobb in the forward line for a chopout. Could not be happier with his progress. Totally opposite to Tom, who has to play Ruck and get smashed, and then in the forward line, most physical posito

Post Thanks / Like

I would put most of Essendons list in this thread and the whole Essendon football club in general,especially Dodoro in the most over rated in everything not just players.
    Bring back the biff

23. Likes Twodogs liked this post