Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

RIP Butch Litchfield

For any of us growing up in the west in the 70s and 80s would know Butch he was a talented footballer kicking 100 goals for Sunshine twice and kicking 20 in one game.
    He was also a gifted cricketer who could do the amazing.
    I was lucky enough to go to school and play both sports with him.
    Sadly he struggled later in life with the demons that are ripe in society.
    A top fella and a legend of the western suburbs.
    Played reserves if I remember correctly.
    Bring back the biff

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: RIP Butch Litchfield

RIP and condolences to family and friends. Do remember the name but not much else.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes WBFC4FFC, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He also played cricket for Australia under 21s.
    I bumped into him a couple of years ago and he looked pretty good.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Geez, that's terrible news. Butch was as good as the rest of thought we were.

RIP Butch. Condolences to the Family.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Very sad. Butch was a terrific footballer, great mark, fast lead, booming kick and tough. Definitely played a few reserve games for Footscray but suspect the disciplines of VFL footy may not have been for him. He was a great full forward for Sunshine in an era of unbelievable VFA full forwards.

8. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely played in the reserves at Footscray. He was one of those guys you'd get to the game an hour earlier just to watch him. He wasn't there even half a season though I reckon. Did the preseason played a few games in the ressies, worked out that VFL wasn't for him and ended up back at Braybrook before year's end I reckon.

10. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He played with Connor Menadues father and uncles , also Alan stonehams brother at Sunshine.
    Sunshine was a great footy club, sadly when the juniors were dissolved the club found it hard to survive.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    He played with Connor Menadues father and uncles , also Alan stonehams brother at Sunshine.
    Sunshine was a great footy club, sadly when the juniors were dissolved the club found it hard to survive.
    I dunno if I'd go that far ledge!

Do you remember the Sunshine player's name who turned around and mooned the umpire at Yarraville one day? He was playing on Mark Fotheringham and Fothers had kicked a heap on him during the afternoon. IIRC he was found guilty at the tribunal and got a couple of weeks but then he lost it and threw an ashtray at the tribunal president and ended up copping a life suspension. Would have been early '80s.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I dunno if I'd go that far ledge!

Do you remember the Sunshine player's name who turned around and mooned the umpire at Yarraville one day? He was playing on Mark Fotheringham and Fothers had kicked a heap on him during the afternoon. IIRC he was found guilty at the tribunal and got a couple of weeks but then he lost it and threw an ashtray at the tribunal president and ended up copping a life suspension. Would have been early '80s.
    Nah sorry don't remember that but I remember Dorgs going berserk in a final once and wanting to take on the whole opposition bench , think it was Richard Murrie who used to always make sure he put late hits on that started it.

i catch up with Darren Brown at the footy he played with them all, his older brother Ron captained and coached the club, he was at tough man , I will ask him.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Nah sorry don't remember that but I remember Dorgs going berserk in a final once and wanting to take on the whole opposition bench , think it was Richard Murrie who used to always make sure he put late hits on that started it.

i catch up with Darren Brown at the footy he played with them all, his older brother Ron captained and coached the club, he was at tough man , I will ask him.
    Yep, remember Darren and Ron. Ron was a great coach.

Post Thanks / Like

Darren was a hell of a sportsman too wasn't he Ledge? Had a couple of years at the Dogs, but only 1 or 2 senior games, and was a super junior cricketer too?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Darren was a hell of a sportsman too wasn't he Ledge? Had a couple of years at the Dogs, but only 1 or 2 senior games, and was a super junior cricketer too?
    Yeah Darren played one game. And yes was a good cricketer , still think he has something to do with cricket at Laverton, my claim to fame is I started playing at Totty took a mate with me who bought Darren along.
    I used to open the batting with Zeno tzatzaris at Totty juniors
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Darren played one game. And yes was a good cricketer , still think he has something to do with cricket at Laverton, my claim to fame is I started playing at Totty took a mate with me who bought Darren along.
    I used to open the batting with Zeno tzatzaris at Totty juniors

I played in a team that played a Footscray juniors team that had Merv Hughes, Tony Dodemaide and Colin Miller (and Rainer Reber a keeper who played first class cricket.)

Dodemaide was so fast at the ago of 15 that I still don't know how he got the one that bowled through my defence. Fastest bowler I have ever seen and I played competitive cricket for nearly 35 years. I probably shouldn't have got in his face when I caught him at slip but their coach told our coach that Dodemaide would get 100 against us. We set a plan and Dodemaide fell for it and we were pretty chirpy about it!)

Post Thanks / Like

Dodemaide went to St. John's in Churchill ave , my mate made an opening partnership with him of 104 and dodemaide made 100 of it.
    The western suburbs was full of great sportsman in the 70s and 80s . A lot lived in and around Melon street, must have been the street cricket and football that went on every night.
    Bring back the biff

19. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dodemaide went to St. John's in Churchill ave , my mate made an opening partnership with him of 104 and dodemaide made 100 of it.
    The western suburbs was full of great sportsman in the 70s and 80s . A lot lived in and around Melon street, must have been the street cricket and football that went on every night.
    The biggest waste of/unfulfilled local talent I ever saw John Sharp. He was outrageously talented sportsman I ever saw. He had a temper to match the talent unfourtrtunitely.