Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,643
    Post Thanks / Like

    Dahlís obscure record

    Dahlís obscure record

    The game is littered with stats these days. But thereís stats and then thereís stats.

    While possessions, marks and tackles are important and easy to talk about, what about the more obscure stats? Have you ever wondered whoís had the most footy-card style balks in a game? What about crumbs, or marks fumbled?

    Oh yes, thereís a stat for everything, and thanks to the research abilities of Freedom in a Cage podcast co-host Adi Brown, the answers are here. (In order itís Marc Murphy, Dayne Zorko and Cam McCarthy if youíre wondering).

    But what obscure records do Bulldogs players hold?

    If you were watching the Dogs take on North Melbourne in Round 4 last season, you may not realise it, but you were indeed witnessing history.

    While the Dogs won by three points, it could have been much more if Luke Dahlhausís work upfield had been rewarded more often, for on that night Dahlhaus recorded the highest ever total for Ďbehind assistsí.

    That is, assists that end up as behinds, and on this night, he had eight.

    ďThat's a great stat,Ē co-host Bob Murphy said. ďSee, he's done a really good job there and they've kicked a point.Ē

    ďThat's like bittersweet that one, his teammates let him down. That's like six wickets where the slips dropped the catch.Ē

    In other oddities, Wayde Skipper holds the record for most Ďball up hitouts sharkedí (8), Scott West had the most ever Ďblocksí in a game (8) and Luke Darcyís 10 Ďruck hard-ball getsí in Round 3, 2002 against West Coast is also a record.

    Episode 8 of Freedom in a Cage, featuring Sam Power, the Bulldogs General Manager of List and Recruiting, is available Thursday.

  2. Thanks Dancin' Douggy thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra liked this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,643
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dahlís obscure record

    I love obscure stats.

    I couldn't help but chuckle at the Wayde Skipper one.

    I was at a pre-season game against Brisbane many years ago with Twodogs amongst other BF/WOOFers. We got absolutely pantsed and TD was the first to walk out, about 5 minutes into the last.

    My tipping point was when Skipper climbed high and finally won a centre tap out, only to tap it straight down the throat of the opposition ruckman, which led to a Brisbane goal. I declared "That's me done for the night" and headed home.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    23,222
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dahlís obscure record

    I seem to recall a young Brian Harris now Lake setting a record on a very obscure stat, the uncontested spoil.
    4 times in a game he elected to punch the ball from a marking contest when no opposition player was contesting the mark.

    That obscure stat might have got better focus if Frawleys Golden Fist award was around in those days.
    Tough times don't last, tough people do

  5. Likes Dancin' Douggy, Mofra liked this post
  6. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    22,216
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dahlís obscure record

    Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    I love obscure stats.

    I couldn't help but chuckle at the Wayde Skipper one.

    I was at a pre-season game against Brisbane many years ago with Twodogs amongst other BF/WOOFers. We got absolutely pantsed and TD was the first to walk out, about 5 minutes into the last.

    My tipping point was when Skipper climbed high and finally won a centre tap out, only to tap it straight down the throat of the opposition ruckman, which led to a Brisbane goal. I declared "That's me done for the night" and headed home.
    Yep I remember that. To be fair I don't think it was Skipper that finally drove me out. I think I said I'd walk out if one of the Brisbane players kicked a goal (I think it was Richard Hadlee) and he did. Skipper had driven me 9/10ths of the way.

    On obscure records I always thought that Templeton and Dunstan had the best two man score with the 22 they got between them but I found out last year that Bob Pratt and Laurie Nash kicked 24 between them. So I was wrorrrrrr. I was wroooo.. I was that one that you are when you aren't right.
    AFLW Premiers 2018




    After speaking to Obie for about fourty-five minutes on the telephone we
    Finally arrived at the truth of the matter and said that we had to go down
    And pick up the garbage, and also had to go down and speak to him at the
    Police officer's station. So we got in the red vw microbus with the
    Shovels and rakes and implements of destruction and headed on toward the
    Police officer's station.

    Now friends, there was only one or two things that Obie coulda done at
    The police station, and the first was he could have given us a medal for
    Being so brave and honest on the telephone, which wasn't very likely, and
    We didn't expect it, and the other thing was he could have bawled us out
    And told us never to be seen driving garbage around the vicinity again,
    Which is what we expected, but when we got to the police officer's station
    There was a third possibility that we hadn't even counted upon, and we was
    Both immediately arrested. Handcuffed. And I said "Obie, I don't think I
    Can pick up the garbage with these handcuffs on. " He said, "Shut up, kid.
    Get in the back of the patrol car. "




    Arlo Guthrie

    WOOF NUMBER 6

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    flemington
    Posts
    2,288
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dahlís obscure record

    I’d like a stat for the most self indulgent bounces. You know that extra bounce you take because you can, but the bounce chews up all the time and space and screws up everyone’s leads and all your run and carry turns into a feeble kick to
    No one in particular. But by God what a glorious bounce. I believe Nathan Eagleton would be one of the outstanding candidates for this stat, but he’s far from alone.

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,643
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dahlís obscure record

    Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    I’d like a stat for the most self indulgent bounces. You know that extra bounce you take because you can, but the bounce chews up all the time and space and screws up everyone’s leads and all your run and carry turns into a feeble kick to
    No one in particular. But by God what a glorious bounce. I believe Nathan Eagleton would be one of the outstanding candidates for this stat, but he’s far from alone.
    Just for shits and giggles I looked up the players with the highest average bounces per game:

    1) Adam Saad 4.39 pg
    2) Heath Shaw 3.29
    3) David Rodan 3.06
    4) Rhyce Shaw 2.92
    5) Brett Peake/Chris Yarran 2.86

    I reckon all five fit your profile nicely.

    As does Farren Ray, who across his 75 games for us averaged 3.12 bounces per game.

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    22,216
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dahlís obscure record

    Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Just for shits and giggles I looked up the players with the highest average bounces per game:

    1) Adam Saad 4.39 pg
    2) Heath Shaw 3.29
    3) David Rodan 3.06
    4) Rhyce Shaw 2.92
    5) Brett Peake/Chris Yarran 2.86

    I reckon all five fit your profile nicely.

    As does Farren Ray, who across his 75 games for us averaged 3.12 bounces per game.
    Faz was one of those experimental bouncers. I used to watch him run and bounce through my fingers.
    AFLW Premiers 2018




    After speaking to Obie for about fourty-five minutes on the telephone we
    Finally arrived at the truth of the matter and said that we had to go down
    And pick up the garbage, and also had to go down and speak to him at the
    Police officer's station. So we got in the red vw microbus with the
    Shovels and rakes and implements of destruction and headed on toward the
    Police officer's station.

    Now friends, there was only one or two things that Obie coulda done at
    The police station, and the first was he could have given us a medal for
    Being so brave and honest on the telephone, which wasn't very likely, and
    We didn't expect it, and the other thing was he could have bawled us out
    And told us never to be seen driving garbage around the vicinity again,
    Which is what we expected, but when we got to the police officer's station
    There was a third possibility that we hadn't even counted upon, and we was
    Both immediately arrested. Handcuffed. And I said "Obie, I don't think I
    Can pick up the garbage with these handcuffs on. " He said, "Shut up, kid.
    Get in the back of the patrol car. "




    Arlo Guthrie

    WOOF NUMBER 6

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,643
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dahlís obscure record

    Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Faz was one of those experimental bouncers. I used to watch him run and bounce through my fingers.
    He was able to bounce the ball through your fingers and continue running? That's a fair effort.

  11. Thanks josie thanked for this post
  12. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Newbridge, NSW
    Posts
    3,744
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dahlís obscure record

    Darcy's 10 Ruck Hard Ball Get's in a single game is a fair effort. A fraction undersized for a Ruckman but what a competitor he was. A bit underrated these days, still the only Bulldog ever to be voted AFL MVP by his peers (since the award was created in the 80s).
    Smokey this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules.

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Warragul
    Posts
    2,914
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dahlís obscure record

    Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    In other oddities, Wayde Skipper holds the record for most Ďball up hitouts sharkedí (8)
    I was watching the replay of the Brisbane game last night and I'm sure the commentators mentioned at one stage Stef Martin had 12 taps to advantage and 13 taps sharked by us.

    None of our ruckman are in danger of breaking Skipper's record any time soon as they don't get their hand to the ball enough to tap it to the opposition.

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Newbridge, NSW
    Posts
    3,744
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dahlís obscure record

    Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I was watching the replay of the Brisbane game last night and I'm sure the commentators mentioned at one stage Stef Martin had 12 taps to advantage and 13 taps sharked by us.

    None of our ruckman are in danger of breaking Skipper's record any time soon as they don't get their hand to the ball enough to tap it to the opposition.
    I think Skipper holds the record as the sharker rather than the sharkee. Admittedly the stat title is ambiguous.
    Smokey this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules.

  15. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Warragul
    Posts
    2,914
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dahlís obscure record

    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    I think Skipper holds the record as the sharker rather than the sharkee. Admittedly the stat title is ambiguous.
    Right. So did he keep not jumping in the ruck contest and the opposition ruckman kept tapping it to him? I know ruckman often aren't the brightest but surely after a couple of times the other ruckman would wake up to his tactic!

  16. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mulligan's Boogie-board
    Posts
    7,841
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dahlís obscure record

    Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    I’d like a stat for the most self indulgent bounces. You know that extra bounce you take because you can, but the bounce chews up all the time and space and screws up everyone’s leads and all your run and carry turns into a feeble kick to
    No one in particular. But by God what a glorious bounce. I believe Nathan Eagleton would be one of the outstanding candidates for this stat, but he’s far from alone.
    Johnno had about 4 bounces in 15m once, when he was concussed after a hit. He fell over with the ball in hand and had to be helped off the field.

    One of my highlights of the Rhode era was playing against a Freo in a near-empty Etihad stadium, Peter Street took (I think his only career) bounce and everyone there erupted like he'd kicked goal of the year!
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

  17. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    22,216
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dahlís obscure record

    Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Johnno had about 4 bounces in 15m once, when he was concussed after a hit. He fell over with the ball in hand and had to be helped off the field.

    One of my highlights of the Rhode era was playing against a Freo in a near-empty Etihad stadium, Peter Street took (I think his only career) bounce and everyone there erupted like he'd kicked goal of the year!

    Was that when we booed them off at half time even though we were in front?

    That was the day I heard one of the trainers call Ben Harrison a flog.
    AFLW Premiers 2018




    After speaking to Obie for about fourty-five minutes on the telephone we
    Finally arrived at the truth of the matter and said that we had to go down
    And pick up the garbage, and also had to go down and speak to him at the
    Police officer's station. So we got in the red vw microbus with the
    Shovels and rakes and implements of destruction and headed on toward the
    Police officer's station.

    Now friends, there was only one or two things that Obie coulda done at
    The police station, and the first was he could have given us a medal for
    Being so brave and honest on the telephone, which wasn't very likely, and
    We didn't expect it, and the other thing was he could have bawled us out
    And told us never to be seen driving garbage around the vicinity again,
    Which is what we expected, but when we got to the police officer's station
    There was a third possibility that we hadn't even counted upon, and we was
    Both immediately arrested. Handcuffed. And I said "Obie, I don't think I
    Can pick up the garbage with these handcuffs on. " He said, "Shut up, kid.
    Get in the back of the patrol car. "




    Arlo Guthrie

    WOOF NUMBER 6

  18. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mulligan's Boogie-board
    Posts
    7,841
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dahlís obscure record

    Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    That was the day I heard one of the trainers call Ben Harrison a flog.
    Seriously? Do you know what was behind that?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •