Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4
    Post Thanks / Like

Geelong the big winners as AFL announces order for AFLW draft

So we have now lost our ruck in O'Connor in addition to the best player in the league in Kearney, Bruton and Bannister and have been handsomely awarded draft pick 26 as compensation!

Geelong the big winners as AFL announces order for AFLW draft

EXPANSION club Geelong has been awarded the first two picks in October’s AFLW draft after the league used its discretion to reorder the draft in the interest of competitive balance.

While the Cats landed inaugural Melbourne marquee Mel Hickey and Western Bulldogs premiership ruck Aasta O’Connor, the league still gave the fledgling club four compensation picks as it only signed 13 players during its list build period, compared to rival expansion side North Melbourne’s 17.

The Cats win means Carlton, which originally had the No. 1 pick after finishing last this season, has been pushed back to pick No. 3 of the Victorian talent.

Collingwood now has pick 5 and after losing top liners Emma King, Jas Garner, Jess Duffin and Mo Hope, also received pick 13.

The Western Bulldogs were granted a compensation pick at No. 26 for the loss of big name players including Emma Kearney (North), O’Connor (Geelong) and Jenna Bruton (North).

North Melbourne has to wait until pick 12 for its first try at the draft and was allocated five picks.

The AFL’s compensation equation is understood to have taken into account a player’s rating and payment tier and the value lost to a club.

Brisbane, which was angered by the Kangaroos aggressive approach and lost four players to Arden Street including speedster Kaitlyn Ashmore, and GWS will be compensated with additional rookie list spots.

Brisbane coach Craig Starcevich has been scathing of the recruiting tactics of North Melbourne, who secured 13 AFLW players.

Starcevich told ABC Grandstand the expansion list build rules would need to be reviewed ahead of next year, with four new teams — Richmond, St Kilda, Gold Coast and West Coast — to enter the competition in 2020.

“I think a little bit of it is to do with the spirit of how we build the competition, I’m not sure North have been super with it, to be honest,” Starcevich said.

“ ... There’s a little bit there about respecting each other’s space and not necessarily going in and pillaging each other’s players and doing it with some ounce of integrity.

“They’ve been into some of the players for the best part of six months.

“I’m not sure that sits that comfortably with us, even though the rules don’t allow that.

“You’ve got to do things a little bit underhanded at times to try and get where you want to get in terms of building your list so that’s disappointing.

“ ... it’s probably a lesson learnt for next year when there’s four new clubs that will take us up to 14 teams in the comp as to what is the right mechanism, what conversations do we all need to be having about what’s the right build for the expansion clubs, it can’t just be a free-for-all.”

A North Melbourne spokesman said: “We take exception to any suggestions we acted outside the rules, and against the spirit of the game.”.

AFLW DRAFT ORDER:
    GEELONG: 1 (compensation), 2 (compensation), 11, 14 (compensation), 15 (compensation), 35, 46, 57

CARLTON: 3, 16, 27, 38, 48 (compensation), 49,

FREMANTLE: 4, 17, 28, 39, 50,

COLLINGWOOD: 5, 13 (compensation), 18, 24, 29, 40, 51,

ADELAIDE: 6, 19, 30, 41, 52,

GWS GIANTS: 7, 20, 31, 42, 53,

MELBOURNE: 8, 21, 32, 37 (compensation), 43, 54,

BRISBANE LIONS: 9, 22, 33, 44, 55,

WESTERN BULLDOGS: 10, 23, 26 (compensation), 34, 45, 56,

NORTH MELBOURNE: 12, 25, 36, 47, 58

2. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Geelong the big winners as AFL announces order for AFLW draft

Wait wait wait.

How did Collingwood get pick 13 exactly? For Mo Hope?

Don't really understand how the same model can give us pick 26 for THE BEST PLAYER IN THE LEAGUE and also give Collingwood pick 13 for a player they deemed not good enough to play at one point last year.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

4. Likes Raw Toast, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Wait wait wait.

How did Collingwood get pick 13 exactly? For Mo Hope?

Don't really understand how the same model can give us pick 26 for THE BEST PLAYER IN THE LEAGUE and also give Collingwood pick 13 for a player they deemed not good enough to play at one point last year.
    Payment tier , she was a hugely paid marquee player even though she didn't do anything she was the player the AFL chose in its first year to advertise the competition.
    Personally I prefer they graded picks more on achievements than pay.
    Mo was over paid and over rated and Collingwood get rewarded for it.
    Bring back the biff

6. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ridiculous.

I concede that Hope, Garner, Duffin and King combined are decent, but have no idea how Kearney, Bruton and O'Connor are valued significantly less.

I've been pretty confident all along that the way to win this comp is to hit the draft hard, as every year the new girls will be excellent. Realistically from last year Molloy was Collingwoods best player, and for us both Conti and a fit Huntington would be in our top 5, with Bruton being in top 12. So when Noth and geelong picked up so many players i was thinking it may hinder them somewhat by giving clubs like ours better access to the draft. Unfortunately that hasn't eventuated.

The AFL's handling of this comp though has been disgraceful. For starters to my knowledge they still haven't figured out:
    -Payment structures for next season including min wage and salary cap, making it impossible for clubs to judge how much and to how many they can make offers to. Considering everyone is out of contract this makes it much tougher too.
    -Structure of the comp. How many rounds will there be and what will finals look like? There are strong rumours that they are keen to stick with a 7 round season, which considering there will be 10 teams is idiotic.

Stuff they have figured out includes the fact they believe that the competition can almost double in size within two seasons, despite the talent pool already having been stretched thin from inception (it was recommended that the comp be limited to 6 sides at the start, they chose 8), which means we are going to see heaps more memos about the state of the game and further criticism of the standard. Consider that the AFLM's talent pool is probably stretched just a touch more than ideal because of the two expansion teams, imagine if they then brought in another 12 teams to fill out the comp. We'd be talking Honeychurch up as one of our better players. This is effectively what is happening with the womens comp, albeit with better draftees.

This adds to the fact that they chose the wrong clubs from the start, Carlton should in no way have been in the opening round of clubs. North Melbourne for all their "pillaging" are just claiming what was theirs, they've had an integral role in the development of womens footy for a while including a very strong alignment with Melb Uni, so when people bag out players going back to them for being unloyal to their AFLW club they are overlooking the fact that many like Kearney have a much longer history with North.

Unfortunately the way this comp is being handled is 90% a marketing stunt and 10% a serious league. When you consider the patronising instructions from above the players are receiving, the complete lack of care or foresight from the AFL regarding competition strength and depth and the arrogant way they have handled which clubs get in and what they get (Melb WB shoved aside for Carlton Collingwood/North snubbed for Carlton etc.) it just demonstrates how healthy the appetite for womens footy is that the comp has largely been a success despite all that.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

8. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Once more the Westernbulldogs are duded by the AFL.

We lose 4 premiership players including the leagues B&F and we get a 3rd round compensation pick.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

It's getting to the stage where it would be pointless entering a team in the next season.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I have to admit i was a bit taken aback with the compensation. With another 4 teams coming the following season, i'm sure glad we won the flag this year.

12. Likes Raw Toast, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    I have to admit i was a bit taken aback with the compensation. With another 4 teams coming the following season, i'm sure glad we won the flag this year.
    And isn't the reward for that success just awesome?

Oh well. We just have to set up and have another tilt with a different looking team next time then.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite