Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  4
    Post Thanks / Like

Beams steps down as captain

Said he is struggling since his father's death and has passed the reigns over to Zorko.

Must have been an incredibly hard decision for him to make

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Beams steps down as captain

Might sound strange but him stepping down says more about why he should be captain.
    What he has done is the sign of a man with great character and club orientated even at a difficult time in his life.
    Hope he comes good and becomes captain again.
    Bring back the biff

3. Likes Topdog, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's harder than you expect when your dad dies.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

5. Likes divvydan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Beams is one of the more problematic people in the AFL - rightfully revered warrior, but never should have been made captain in the first place (and lucky to still be in the league) given his torrid off-field history.

Having said that, I can't imagine what it's like to lose a dad.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Been through that, it's bloody hard going. Played in a national wheelchair basketball championship 10 days after my Dad passed away. Good on him, hope he is able to get through a very tough time and back to enjoying footy (and his life).
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

8. Thanks chef, azabob, Daughter of the West thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Been through that, it's bloody hard going. Played in a national wheelchair basketball championship 10 days after my Dad passed away. Good on him, hope he is able to get through a very tough time and back to enjoying footy (and his life).
    Mate that's a fair effort at accessing the right boxes. I was supposed to do a shift at my work two days after my dad died but I had to ring in sick. I couldn't believe how rough I still felt, just bleaghhh.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Might sound strange but him stepping down says more about why he should be captain.
    What he has done is the sign of a man with great character and club orientated even at a difficult time in his life.
    Hope he comes good and becomes captain again.
    Good assessment ledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Beams is one of the more problematic people in the AFL - rightfully revered warrior, but never should have been made captain in the first place (and lucky to still be in the league) given his torrid off-field history.

Having said that, I can't imagine what it's like to lose a dad.
    I've not heard any of this.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Good assessment ledge.

I've not heard any of this.
    The book Night Games by Anna Krien (which is excellent btw) goes into significant detail about incidents after the 2010 Grand Final, and stops jussst short of saying that Beams was cleared of a rape charge due to his celebrity status (a charge ultimately pinned on a mate of his, who was obviously not an AFL player).

Post Thanks / Like

The book Night Games by Anna Krien (which is excellent btw) goes into significant detail about incidents after the 2010 Grand Final, and stops jussst short of saying that Beams was cleared of a rape charge due to his celebrity status (a charge ultimately pinned on a mate of his, who was obviously not an AFL player).
    I'm reading it now, it's pretty racy. It mentions a Helen Garner book called the First Stone on the cover, have you read that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I'm reading it now, it's pretty racy. It mentions a Helen Garner book called the First Stone on the cover, have you read that?
    Can't say I have, although its Wiki page makes it out to be kinda problematic.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't say I have, although its Wiki page makes it out to be kinda problematic.
    Me either. I wonder if it's about footy?

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure how an incident that occurred when he was 19 would stop him from being a captain at 27. Especially an incident that ultimately he was never charged for. What happened to innocent until proven guilty?

16. Likes Ozza liked this post