Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Shy guy passes Wood as Dogs' intercept king

link

BAILEY Williams is just as quick to pass on a media request as he is to pounce on one of the intercept marks he's becoming renowned for.

The quietly spoken 20-year-old would rather let his footy do the talking, and his stats are screaming he is one of the best rebounding defenders in the AFL.

He's overtaken All Australian defender Easton Wood as the best at the Bulldogs, with Williams sitting equal 11th in the AFL for intercept marks (21) and 12th overall for intercept possessions (64).

When it comes to effective ground gained, the South Australian is 13th League-wide by adding 438.5 productive metres.
    Luke Beveridge believes Williams is starting to get the recognition he deserves.

"(Bailey) is a bit shy and doesn't like talking about himself," the premiership coach said.
    "He's starting to get some plaudits, and that's good him and it's good for us.

"When he can (intercept) it allows us to have a bit more flexibility with our other high defenders.
    "'Bails' has become a pretty good intercept player."

Backline coach Steven King is also an unabashed fan, marvelling at the rapid improvement the Glenelg product has made over the past 12 months.

With the Dogs backline ravaged by injury this season, Williams has stood up in the absence of Wood, Dale Morris and Marcus Adams.

He also helped fill the massive void left by retirements of club greats Robert Murphy and Matthew Boyd across half-back.
    "Bailey is really clean, courageous and knows how to get the footy, which is a great combination," King said.

"Whether it's in the air or on the ground, he just gets the footy and doesn't make things too complicated.
    "He reads the play and the pressure on the ball, and then backs himself in.

"He's built up his fitness and that's allowed him to keep his concentration later in games and run them out.
    "Bailey's got a really good balance in his game now with getting the footy, making good decisions and helping defend."

Taken with pick 48 in the 2015 NAB AFL Draft, Williams was then a prolific midfielder who once amassed 56 possessions in a SANFL under 18s match.

While he sees his short-term future down back, King wouldn't be surprised if Williams gets a taste in the midfield before the season is out.

"I've had meetings with 'Bevo' about Bailey playing in the midfield in the future, but at the moment he's playing really well where he is, and intercept defenders are very hard to come by.

"We've been hit by injuries down back this year, and Bailey has been one of the few constants, so when we get a few of the boys back, that might give us an opportunity to try him in the midfield.
    "He's certainly got the ability to do that."

King loves the way his protégé is diligently improving himself as a player, but the Geelong premiership ruckman wasn't thrilled when Williams returned from his holidays back in November sporting a haircut that wasn't in tune with a man keen to avoid attention.

"It was an interesting haircut and I didn't say too much about it, but the young fellas these days are a bit different," King joked.

"I'm glad he got it cut off because he didn't need to put extra pressure on himself for someone who is a bit on the quiet side."

Bailey Williams on team photo day - blonde on the right, dark on the left. Picture: Matt Suckling/Instagram
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shy guy passes Wood as Dogs' intercept king

He's a bigger show off than I am. He can't take his eye of the camera.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Loving this guy what a steal at 48 Dahl really is a wizard. Tallish, quick and a ton of arrogance on the field. Absolute jet.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Loving this guy what a steal at 48 Dahl really is a wizard. Tallish, quick and a ton of arrogance on the field. Absolute jet.
    There were a few on this board who couldn't understand why he was getting a game each week. Still only 20 years old and will get better and better
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I hope the new team can keep up these recent mid to late range picks out of SA: Daniel, Williams & Young.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I hope the new team can keep up these recent mid to late range picks out of SA: Daniel, Williams & Young.
    I wonder how much of our network we lost when Dalrymple went to Sydney. I guess we will know if Sydney suddenly start pulling unknown South Australian players out of their fundament with mid to late range draft picks. And we don't anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I wonder how much of our network we lost when Dalrymple went to Sydney. I guess we will know if Sydney suddenly start pulling unknown South Australian players out of their fundament with mid to late range draft picks. And we don't anymore.
    I'd hope our SA scouts are still there - given 4 of the top 10 draft picks this year may well be South Aussies we might know in a few months.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    There were a few on this board who couldn't understand why he was getting a game each week. Still only 20 years old and will get better and better
    His first few games would have frustrated some because he was trying to pull off the same stuff he was doing at VFL level and getting caught. But the key is he was trying. He’s never shied away from his style of footy which I like.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Been a real positive . Love his balance also.

Post Thanks / Like

I love the story behind his nickname 'Horse' as well. Thanks Murph
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

13. Likes Throughandthrough liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I love the story behind his nickname 'Horse' as well. Thanks Murph

Haha yes. His grandfather loves that story, his mum doesn’t think it’s as terrific

Baileys sister made her sporting debut last Saturday night in adelaide, as a boxer. Won easily. Baileys dad, who is a mountain, used to be a heavy weight boxer

15. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    Haha yes. His grandfather loves that story, his mum doesn’t think it’s as terrific

Baileys sister made her sporting debut last Saturday night in adelaide, as a boxer. Won easily. Baileys dad, who is a mountain, used to be a heavy weight boxer

What's his dad's name?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know that a bloke who (under Murph's guidance) advised the group his nickname was horse is shy.....nonetheless, have enjoyed watching BW develop this year. Good to see him get a bit of recognition.

Post Thanks / Like

I was harsh on Williams early on but very happy to be proven wrong. Been excellent all year with his calmness, precision by foot and natural ability to find the ball. I'd like to see him spend some increased time in the midfield for the remainder of the season - I think he will excel in traffic with his clean hands.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

I was quite critical of him last night, largely because he hasn't figured out first option before extreme pressure can often end up in a follow up running possession to clear space if he gives it. Too often he tries to do too much, but that's not a bad thing.

I need to temper that criticism just as much as he needs to learn because he is going as well as any 20 year old we've had on our hands over recent history. At the start of the year, Dunkley was my designated freak, Williams has taken that mantle now.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.