Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers And Anchors - Round 13, 2018 vs Port Adelaide

This is the round 13, 2018 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Port Adelaide is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers And Anchors - Round 13, 2018 vs Port Adelaide

Bump
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

B

Richards - 3 goals in a quarter, I can't recall the last player of ours to do that. What a gem.
    Bonts - Showed some spark and leadership.
    Crozier - Wasn't awful for the first time. Now go back it up again.

A

Roarke Smith - I honestly can't say that he will be a good VFL player
    Honeychurch - If he never plays again I will be happy
    Biggs - See above. Thanks for a great month in 2016, but since then your Instagram output has overtaken your onfield output
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

Richards - *!*!*!*! me this kid is a dead set gem.
    Bontempelli - Pulled his finger out and showed some leadership. I shudder to think how bad it would have been had he not stood up.
    Williams - Firming in the 'my favourite player' ledger with every game.

Banchor

Crozier - A much better game but *!*!*!*! me some of those dropped/fumbled marks on his own in defence almost had me tipping over furniture.

Anchors

Biggs. Everything he touched seemed to turn to shite. I can't believe how badly he's fallen away.
    Daniel. He's a far better player than a five possession game. Another who has inexplicably fallen away.
    Honeychurch. Poor decision/disposal after poor decision/disposal. Is there no-one banging down the door to take his spot?

Dishon. mention

JJ. Its hard to have a gauge of where his head is at. Against Adelaide a month ago recorded the fastest sprint of the night to chase down a loose ball when they were on the counter, last night his effort is mediocre at best.

Post Thanks / Like

B- Richards -thankfully he had car troubles and didn’t end up at caaaaarlton
    Bont -thought he really stood up in the second
    Williams - thought he was decent again
    A - That first was park footy stuff , and that’s being generous
    - soft tissue injuries - get it sorted
    - the decline of Daniel, Johannisen, Dahlhaus ! Someone please explain

7. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Richards brilliant goal from the boundary 50 out.

2. The Bont's kicking skills

3. Crozier stepping up in the absence of Suckling

Anchors

1. Trengove free kicks against Dixon - stop wrapping your arms around your opponent and just go for the ball.

2. The free against Mclean at the start of the game when he nearly had his neck broken

3. Hunters pathetic kicking skills and turnovers.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:

The Drafting of Richards. The kid is a jet.
    Bont - that second quarter was the Bont we have been missing.
    Crozier - really stepped up his game in Suckling's absence.

Anchors:

Honeychurch - just has no class. Every bulldog supporter in the country knew he'd get smothered on that shot on goal. He tries and tries, but he is not up to it. That is as nicely as I can put it.
    Daniel - I know he's been given some jobs, I'm really not quite sure what last nights was (how could you tell from the CH7 broadcast - they say nothing about match ups outside of the main 3-4 players)...but Caleb is just unrecognisable from the player we used to know.
    Biggs - we were never winning that game - but he fair dinkum handed it to them in the first quarter, goal after goal after goal. I'm not sure anyone has had a worse quarter of footy, at any level, ever. He stinks.

10. Likes bornadog, Mantis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Bankers

3. Crozier stepping up in the absence of Suckling

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Bankers:

Crozier - really stepped up his game in Suckling's absence.

Great minds think alike.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

12. Likes Ozza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    Schache- Improved again last night, thought he had some really solid contributions. The contested mark and finish was good to see.

McLean- His shoulder was cooked, suspect he may have broken his collarbone in that hit with Gray. Tough effort to play it out.

Cordy- Incredibly reliable defender already, with significant growth to go.

Anchors
    Soft Tissue Injuries- It has been a massive problem at the club for 4 year now and won't improve anytime soon, until something changes off-field.

Honeychurch- The most tackled player in the history of the sport. My gosh, remarkable how little space he could create.

Sliding Rule/Contact below the knees- This is at crisis point, the McLean one was staggering, the Westhoff one even worse. Either change the rule or bloody coach the umpires on how to interpret it.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:

- Ed Richards - We have found a good one here.

- Bont - Great 2nd quarter in particular to try and get us back in the game.

- Crozier - Played much better last night compared to what he has produced this season.

Anchors:

- That 1st quater - just awful and that pretty much got them the game.

- JJ - a player seriosuly down on confidence at the moment and needs to get some spark back. I thought once those rumours around his contract went that we would be better but things still the same.

- Our injury crisis - Macrae, Wood, Boyd, McLean - quality players. Just so so frustrating and we have others who were not playing tonight out injured so it has played a part in our average season but not the only reason.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    Bankers
    Schache- Improved again last night, thought he had some really solid contributions. The contested mark and finish was good to see.
    Was good to see. If he does that more often he will be dangerous up forward for us. Needs to build more confidence but he is getting there. Still young.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    1. Trengove free kicks against Dixon - stop wrapping your arms around your opponent and just go for the ball.

2. The free against Mclean at the start of the game when he nearly had his neck broken
    Yeah Trengove giving away those frees very frustrating. Agree with that free at the start against McLean - ridiculous. It was a contest for the footy and we get penalised.

Post Thanks / Like

B

Ed Richards - Looks to have all the bases covered. I hope Collingwood doesn't come after him in time.
    Marcus Bontempelli - Lifted in adversity
    Josh Schache - Small but promising signs. Like how he doesn't try to rush his disposal and appears to be one of those few players who can slow time around him. Nice signs.

A

Caleb Daniel - Was completely lost out there and didn't bring intent to the contest. Doesn't deserve a spot after that showing.

Match committee - I'm reluctant to anchor Mitch Honeychurch or Lukas Webb as they are not up to it but the match committee should not be rewarding every other week such mediocrity. Unfortunately our list position doesn't help.

Football Department - We're appearing all lost at sea. Our list is unbalanced, we lack genuine classy outside mids, we have a bunch of talls but none that can truly hold their own in the ruck division (albeit English looks promising), we pursue a Trengove type in the trade period when an Impey type is what we really require, we seriously lack damaging small forwards - now the flavour of our times, our foot skills are atrocious, our game day structure and game plan has gone missing (yes we are now a young group), we are copping too many soft tissue injuries, many on our our coaching panel appear past their best before, and for a mix of reasons right now we are also on the nose with so many outside the Club that our brand is continuing to get smashed, making us look an unattractive proposition for potential free agents and corporate supporters.

The loss of Graham Lowe is appearing one of the most significant losses that we've had in our journey.

18. Thanks merantau thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:
    1. Little Red. The joy of a player who is unafraid to kick a clutch goal. Nimble on his feet. Brave. Love him.
    2. Bont. I doubt he is fully fit somehow but after a quiet first quarter, he showed his class and quality.
    3. Not throwing in the towel after a hideous first quarter. We were honest, and committed. There are too many guys though who sadly aren’t up to scratch. We all know who they are.

Anchors
    1. The unfunny social media post by the Western Bulldogs showing a gif of runners missing the starting gun after Port kicked the first few goals. Of course as we all sat there facing a trouncing, this was just what we wanted to see. Are they for real? From the Comms team who shut down Danny McGinlay banners... WTF???...
    2. The look on Easton Wood’s face as he sat in the race after yet another hammy.
    3. The decision against Toby McLean in the opening 20 seconds was just appalling. It was actually the sort of knock to the head that causes serious neck injuries. Inexplicable.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

20. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    3. The decision against Toby McLean in the opening 20 seconds was just appalling. It was actually the sort of knock to the head that causes serious neck injuries. Inexplicable.
    As Chris Grant said this morning, what his he supposed to do, he had his head over the ball. We are getting to a stage where AFL is being ruined because of this stupid rule, no one will want to bend over anymore to get the ball.