Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  34
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 13, 2018 vs Port Adelaide

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    Perhaps the MC uses a dart board for their selections, its the only way that some of their moves make sense.

Here is what my dartboard says for next week.

B. Williams, Suckling, Wood
    HB Morris, Cordy, Richards.
    C Hunter, Wallis Macrae
    HF Dickson, Boyd, Maclean
    F Dalhaus, Schache, Lipinski
    R Campbell, Bontempelli, Jong.

IC JJ, Daniels, Gowers, Trengrove or Roughie.
    Dicko has done a hammy, doubt he'll be in.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    At this point it's almost about deciding who we're going to keep on the list. Give Campbell a game and see if he's going to be with us next year. Give Wallis and Webb some time to show if they deserve another year. Play HC and RS if you're still unsure where they sit (shouldn't be). Let Boyd and Schache stay forward for the rest of the year.

I don't know. It's hard to care at the moment. I'm enjoying the game about as much as in 2013-14.
    Agree with this except I am ok with rebuild and am enjoying watching Richards blossom and Moz have an ok return. Also think Macrae and McLean doing well this year. And Schache settling in ok - early days I know. Plenty of guys out of form but thought effort was there from most of the boys today.

3. Likes westbulldog, Avoid the rush liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    He's good at giving away silly free kicks.... oh and missing set shots.
    He's given a few fifties away too. He's good at that as well.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

In- Cordy, Naughton, Wallis
    Out- Roughy, Smith, Dickson (inj)

Move Trengove to ruck/fwd.

Boyd v Campbell really depends on what we want going forward. If we are happy-ish with Boyd in terms of effort/think it is best for him to keep playing seniors, then the spot is his. Same if we are planning to delist Campbell at year's end. Otherwise, I'd play Campbell. Really not suited to AFL in 2018 but boy our other options are worse.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    In- Cordy, Naughton, Wallis
    Out- Roughy, Smith, Dickson (inj)

Move Trengove to ruck/fwd.

Boyd v Campbell really depends on what we want going forward. If we are happy-ish with Boyd in terms of effort/think it is best for him to keep playing seniors, then the spot is his. Same if we are planning to delist Campbell at year's end. Otherwise, I'd play Campbell. Really not suited to AFL in 2018 but boy our other options are worse.
    There in case is the problem. Trengove plays back for two weeks and now you want him to be a ruck forward? Surely he is a defender or nothing. We are long on defenders no doubt about it then he plays in the reserves until someone gets injured.

Tom Campbell is a ruckman has had around 100 hitouts in the last few weeks wouldn't you prefer Tom in the ruck than Trengove?

Post Thanks / Like

If Campbell has such mobility problems why don't we share the ruck duties across the ground. Tell TC to stay outside the 50 arc and ruck that territory. TB does the forward 50 and Trengove can handle the back 50.
    It would be nice to see a pure ruckman tap it down the throat of our mids and give first use.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Ins

Campbell, Biggs, Dunkley, Wallis

Outs

Roughead, Smith, Gowers, Dickson

I only saw an abridged version of the game due to study (not that I have to justify myself to any of you) but man Roughead is so done. He can't hold up in the ruck anymore, can't defend and just gets in the way up forward. Campbell has low-key beat the door down and deserves a chance.

Gowers can't play, is utterly infuriating to watch, is still selfish as hell and I don't see the point in persevering with him. Smith isn't any good either and at least Biggs was at one point. Honeychurch is lucky to not be chopped but Jong can come in for him like it really matters.

If Campbell comes in then he has to ruck 85% of the game - Boyd simply has to be played deep forward at this point. It's not like he's going to make our scoring potential any worse. Schache at CHF because he's proving to be a much better kick and a much worse mark than advertised - see him developing more as a Tom Lynch (the crows one) type than a genuine power forward, which I'm pretty okay with.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

You're right about Schasche. He's never going to be the Allaisair Lynch type pack smasher but he does get into dangerous positions. As the mids get used to him finding those positions then hopefully they will start looking for him.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Tom Campbell is a ruckman has had around 100 hitouts in the last few weeks wouldn't you prefer Tom in the ruck than Trengove?
    You are not getting the modern game. Doesn't matter how many hitouts you get. Firstly the HO must go to advantage of your team, and secondly you need to be able to play around the ground like a mid. Grundy is best at this. English is in the making of a good modern day ruckman. Gawn may have won the HO, but Melbourne lost the clearances/Stoppages. Our problem was that when we cleared the ball we butchered it and didn't take advatange of it.

If Campbell is capable of playing well around the ground then great bring him in, otherwise may as well stick to who we have.
    Last edited by bornadog; 03-06-2018 at 04:34 PM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Ins

Campbell, Biggs, Dunkley, Wallis

Outs

Roughead, Smith, Gowers, Dickson

I only saw an abridged version of the game due to study (not that I have to justify myself to any of you) but man Roughead is so done. He can't hold up in the ruck anymore, can't defend and just gets in the way up forward. Campbell has low-key beat the door down and deserves a chance.

Gowers can't play, is utterly infuriating to watch, is still selfish as hell and I don't see the point in persevering with him. Smith isn't any good either and at least Biggs was at one point. Honeychurch is lucky to not be chopped but Jong can come in for him like it really matters.

If Campbell comes in then he has to ruck 85% of the game - Boyd simply has to be played deep forward at this point. It's not like he's going to make our scoring potential any worse. Schache at CHF because he's proving to be a much better kick and a much worse mark than advertised - see him developing more as a Tom Lynch (the crows one) type than a genuine power forward, which I'm pretty okay with.
    I don’t disagree with them, both ugh...those ins are so uninspiring. It’s just moving deck chairs on the Titanic at the moment.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    You are not getting the modern game. Doesn't matter how many hitouts you get. Firstly the HO must go to advantage of your team, and secondly you need to be able to play around the ground like a mid. Grundy is bets for this. English is in the making of a good modern day ruckman. Gawn may have won the HO, but Melbourne lost the clearances/Stoppages. Our problem was that when we cleared the ball we butchered it and didn't take advatange of it.

If Campbell is capable of playing well around the ground then great bring him in, otherwise may as well stick to who we have.

No shite sherlock. As usual you miss my point.

Trengove isn't a ruckman and Roughead doesn't have the ability to run out a game of AFL any longer let alone influence one. Ever heard of the term jack of all trades master of none? The fact that he can only last 5minutes playing ruck is causing holes elsewhere. Campbell at least can get some hit outs to advantage and who knows maybe we will win more stoppages? Surely he can play longer than 5 mins in the ruck to to enable Boyd/ Schache to develop some sort of chemistry as discuss in numerous threads.

Until English is back fit I wanna see what Campbell can do, sounds like he was BOG yesterday thats good enough for me.

13. Thanks ratsmac thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I don’t disagree with them, both ugh...those ins are so uninspiring. It’s just moving deck chairs on the Titanic at the moment.
    I've really thought about it and there is just no excitement from anyone in the seconds at the moment - English and Adams clearly aren't ready/playing, and the rest of the guys are very much known knowns.

The excitement or change has to come from the entrenched 22 guys - I think the best bet is moving back towards more traditional set ups; Dahlhaus and Daniel at the feet of Boyd is the first thing I would do, sack the third tall (Gowers I guess) and allow guys to actually be on the ground when the ball hits it from one of our countless long bombs, move JJ back to the furthest point from goal (where he has the most field in front of him to run into), start with Bont, McLean and Macrae in the middle, roving an actual ruckman (who has to be Campbell for now). Simple things

There's an overwhelming amount of evidence to suggest that the way we structure up isn't really conducive to winning games and it's not going to be fixed by trying to be even clever-er.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    No shite sherlock. As usual you miss my point.

Trengove isn't a ruckman and Roughead doesn't have the ability to run out a game of AFL any longer let alone influence one. Ever heard of the term jack of all trades master of none? The fact that he can only last 5minutes playing ruck is causing holes elsewhere. Campbell at least can get some hit outs to advantage and who knows maybe we will win more stoppages? Surely he can play longer than 5 mins in the ruck to to enable Boyd/ Schache to develop some sort of chemistry as discuss in numerous threads.

Until English is back fit I wanna see what Campbell can do, sounds like he was BOG yesterday thats good enough for me.
    Well you completely missed my point altogether as well, ruckman are irrelevant in the modern game unless they can play like a very tall mid around the ground.

Personally I think Campbell is a good VFL ruckman, but hope I am wrong.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

We have been non competitive in the past two weeks and would like to see an overhaul of the team.
    In. Campbell Naughton Cordy Dunkley Jong Wallis
    Out.Crozier R Smith Boyd Honeychurch Lipinski and Dickson ( inj).

Post Thanks / Like

I am sure there must be rules around how many players you can bring in to play VFL when the AFL have a bye, but I would be sort of tempted to use it as a way to trial a few things and make a few players that have been down earn their spots back.

We are unlikely to make finals (I can't bring myself to say we wont) so why not play them? We can always end their seasons early if they are tired (when we go into full tank mode).

18. Likes comrade liked this post