Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  34
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 13, 2018 vs Port Adelaide

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    I am sure there must be rules around how many players you can bring in to play VFL when the AFL have a bye, but I would be sort of tempted to use it as a way to trial a few things and make a few players that have been down earn their spots back.

We are unlikely to make finals (I can't bring myself to say we wont) so why not play them? We can always end their seasons early if they are tired (when we go into full tank mode).
    VFL has a bye as well
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks The Adelaide Connection thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some of the senior players need a spell. Problem is nothing in the VFL team is allowing the MC to drastically change it up.

We might as well see if Greene can actually make it. He is injury prone but has a knack of kicking goals.

I've had enough of Dahlhaus and Johannisen and their poor skills.

The only thing saving Johannisen is the limited options in the VFL plus he is at least getting the ball and trying to make things happen.

Campbell to ruck 95% game time and allow Boyd & Schache to try and get some chemistry down forward with Greene and Gowers at their feet.

IN: Cordy, Greene, Campbell, Biggs, Wallis, Porter

OUT: Smith, Dickson, Roughead, Crozier, Dahlhaus, Smith,
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Some of the senior players need a spell. Problem is nothing in the VFL team is allowing the MC to drastically change it up.

We might as well see if Greene can actually make it. He is injury prone but has a knack of kicking goals.

I've had enough of Dahlhaus and Johannisen and their poor skills.

The only thing saving Johannisen is the limited options in the VFL plus he is at least getting the ball and trying to make things happen.

Campbell to ruck 95% game time and allow Boyd & Schache to try and get some chemistry down forward with Greene and Gowers at their feet.

IN: Cordy, Greene, Campbell, Biggs, Wallis, Porter

OUT: Smith, Dickson, Roughead, Crozier, Dahlhaus, Smith,
    Were you happy with HC's game?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

It’s not an in/out but JJ has to play half back and figure out how to beat a tag.

Ins and outs are now re arranging deck chairs type stuff. :/

Post Thanks / Like

Honeychurch did offer pressure forward.

Post Thanks / Like

No changes. Back the 22 in to turn it around, less any forced injury changes.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

8. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Were you happy with HC's game?
    No I wasn’t happy with it. But I was less happy with Dahlhaus game.

Do you think Dahlhaus deserves his spot in the 22?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    No I wasn’t happy with it. But I was less happy with Dahlhaus game.

Do you think Dahlhaus deserves his spot in the 22?
    If we drop Dahlhaus it will open up the debate of if he is a required player. He's been down this season but his last 2 weeks have been a slight improvement.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I greatly admire Dahl's endeavour, but whenever I see him with the ball in hand, unless he is on his knees, I expect to see a turnover. I am only very, very, slightly less concerned when it is Honeychurch.
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    If we drop Dahlhaus it will open up the debate of if he is a required player. He's been down this season but his last 2 weeks have been a slight improvement.
    I'm getting to the don't care stage. Luke's footy has gone backwards the last 18 months and I don't know tgat he wants to change it badly enough.

I think that some footballers need to work in a proper job for 6-12 months in order to fully appreciate the circumstances they find themself in. Dahl strikes me as one of those people.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure really how to approach selection as there are many out of form.

Hardest to solve is the ruck division. Roughead is struggling badly. And Tom Boyd, well, its just so disappointing that I’m better to not try and find the words. But until English is fit and realistically until he is further developed - we are going to struggle in this area. To run into Grundy, Gawn - and with Ryder on the horizon - just underlines how far Roughy and Boyd are off being decent Ruckman at the level. I’m not sure Campbell would have done any better - but at some point you have to put the foot down and say we aren’t going to let you stay in the team when you get so badly trounced as a duo.

Wallis and Dunkley, I’m confident, would make us harder to play against for longer. Patty Lipinski is really promising and ran himself into exhaustion again on the weekend (anyone see him with about 5 mins to go trying to chase). He’s running about 15kms a game at the moment on 70% game time. Which says a bit about his athletic traits and his willingness - but on the flip side also tells us that he is likely doing a heap of inefficient running and getting where the ball ain’t. Gowers has either lost an early streak of some form, or has been worked out by opponents now - but probably still prefer him to HC, especially since Dickson is injured again. Such a shame Dicko hasn’t had any continuity since the 2016 finals.

The cupboard is a bit bare - but my approach would be to go with Adelaide with one or two less of the absolute kids - because there is a tipping point when there’s 1 or 2 too many - and a side like Port will feast on that.

14. Likes Avoid the rush liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't see any short term change we can make that will drastically alter our fortunes, but if Dahlhaus and Bont are indeed injured then I think give them a spell.

I'd love to see Boyd played forward and Lipinski across half forward. I'd love to see Campbell get a crack (not because I think he will be the silver bullet, but I think we need to go back to the mantra of rewarding form and making the 22 feel some heat about their position in the team.

We will never know I guess, but do you think the whole "switch all the assistant coaches around" after the GF was a caper that was too clever by half? Has it hurt the development and form of our players?

I just wonder if the continuity of the same coaches doing the same role with (mostly) the same blokes would have seen us get those extra few wins to play finals last year and would have us playing a brand of footy that seems entirely too easy to play against.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    I can't see any short term change we can make that will drastically alter our fortunes, but if Dahlhaus and Bont are indeed injured then I think give them a spell.

I'd love to see Boyd played forward and Lipinski across half forward. I'd love to see Campbell get a crack (not because I think he will be the silver bullet, but I think we need to go back to the mantra of rewarding form and making the 22 feel some heat about their position in the team.

We will never know I guess, but do you think the whole "switch all the assistant coaches around" after the GF was a caper that was too clever by half? Has it hurt the development and form of our players?

I just wonder if the continuity of the same coaches doing the same role with (mostly) the same blokes would have seen us get those extra few wins to play finals last year and would have us playing a brand of footy that seems entirely too easy to play against.
    Spot on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Before I Die View Post
    I greatly admire Dahl's endeavour, but whenever I see him with the ball in hand, unless he is on his knees, I expect to see a turnover. I am only very, very, slightly less concerned when it is Honeychurch.
    They're both shocking kicks... I don't think of ever seen someone put as much air under the ball as HC and Dahlhaus is lucky just to fit his foot.

Post Thanks / Like

Dahl's kicking has gone south this year at a rapid rate of knots. If he can kick over 30m it's only with the aid of a 40m run up and a strong breeze.
    I thought Crozier played a much better game.
    I understand the desire to get Williams in the middle but he was 11th in the comp for metres gained and moving him out of the position he's playing well in to accommodate Roarke Smith makes little sense, especially considering Roarke is just getting back to footy and hasn't played will in the seniors.

Cordy & Naughton should be right after the bye - for mine they come straight back in.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bonti's put on ice for the rest of the year either.

Our pressure through the middle is terrible and Wallis, for all his faults, laid 10 tackles in his last AFL game. If we're playing a specific pressure player or two we may as well get a guy in that has the runs on the board and who occasionally hits the scoreboard.

We are getting smashed in the ruck as well. Roughy's playing hurt and Boyd only shows glimpses, not sure Campbell will play for us again. I have a sneaking suspicion Trengove will go back into the ruck with Morris, Naughton and Cordy to rotate on the opposition talls which frees Wood up to play a more intercept role and leave us with a couple of genuine running rebounders out of Williams, Richards, JJ, Suckling or Crozier.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers