Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  16
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bevo: Free agent Dogs have to lift

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    It’s a Bevo-ism for sure. He has this way of slightly mangling the language.

In relation to Mitch’s continued non-selection I am perplexed. I thought he’d been consistent and had kicked some crunch goals. I don’t understand what’s going on with selections at all. If the match committee are really seeing strengths/deficiencies justifying selection/non-selections it would be good if we could be brought into the loop, as this year’s decisions are beyond confusing.
    Precisely. If the reasons for non/selection are so compelling then tell us what they are.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    It's pretty simple. He's an inside mid, why try to turn him in to something he's not and use him for his strengths?
    I'm not taking to the idea of Bont and Macrae doing all the inside work.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Its been quite clear from early days that Bevo doesn't rate Mitch Wallis. Even comes across in Flanagan's book when he refers to post game notes about Wally. Seems to be at some risk of not being able to turn Bevo's view on him around in time.
    Bevo played with his old man, did he and Wally get along ?
    Could Bevo be holding a grudge ?
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

If Wallis needs a qualitative sheen, what does Honeychuech need?

It's laughable that Wallis isn't playing and Honey is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post

Perhaps HC does what the coach asks him to.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Perhaps HC does what the coach asks him to.
    Turn it over?

8. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Turn it over?
    Just giving you an alternative and possible explanation.

Do you think us supporters know better than the MC.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't fathom why Wallis is not playing. I also can't fathom how Bevo can say he needs to add sheen and impact the scoreboard when Bont aside, none of the other mid's do. Wallis is a solid inside mid. He will get his hands on the ball 20 to 30 times and distribute effectively in the 70-75% range. He tackles well; he is a decent mark; he is a decent set shot for goal. As a footballer he is a decent footballer - not fantastic; but not ordinary. He would walk into all the teams below us and probably half the teams above us and ALL would play him as an inside mid - feeding Bont, McLean, Macrae, Suckers, Hunter etc.

I accept that a fully fit Libba would mean he needs to find another string to his bow, but its been 2 years since LIbba was fit and he's not likely to come back fully firing next year. If Bevo wants Wally Jnr to add sheen, he's going to have paint him with some Dulux High Gloss paint, because that type of footballer just doesn't shine!

11. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you think us supporters know better than the MC.
    Sometimes people close to the situation make mistakes. It's why businesses bring in consultants.

HC butchers the ball. And clearly that's ok with the MC. Cause you accept the standard you ignore. I don't know the overall circumstances but either turning it over doesn't matter, or our list is in such bad shape that HC is the least worst of a horrible bunch (which I can't imaging Wallis should be part of) and he's being begrudgingly selecected cause everyone else (Wallis, Jong, Dunkley...) is so horrible at football they may as well hang the boots up.

13. Likes FrediKanoute, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just don't get his comment, it makes no sense when half the team couldn't hit the side of a house with their kicks. But yeah lets single out Mitch's deficiencies as a footballer. A few weeks in the VFL he'll gain break neck speed, kick at 98% efficiency and slot goals on the run from 50 out.

Post Thanks / Like

Link

WESTERN Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge has put the heat on premiership ruckman Jordan Roughead and midfielder Mitch Wallis to lift their performances in a season where they both will become free agents.

Roughead has battled indifferent form and injuries since the Bulldogs won the flag in 2016, while Wallis has been in and out of the side since he badly broke his leg 18 months ago.

With both spending time in the VFL this year, Beveridge wants Roughead to be more consistent and Wallis to add polish and scoring to complement his strong inside game.

Speaking to the media on Friday morning, Beveridge said both have a future at Whitten Oval, but they will need to find form to make sure 2018 isn't their last season in the red, white and blue.

Roughead, 27, grew up barracking for the Dogs, while Wallis, 25, is the son of Bulldog former club captain Stephen Wallis.

"(Roughead) is a free agent at the end of this year, so we're working with his management at the moment to try and re-sign him because he's definitely a required player," Beveridge said.

"He'll need to perform at his best pretty quickly to establish what his future is beyond this year, and I really believe he can.
    "Mitch is working his way back from that leg break, and hasn't exactly got back to his absolute best, but I'm sure he will.

"He'll accumulate and be involved, but we're looking a qualitative sheen on his game that we need, and it is part of our scope to score.

"We want our mids to score and really capitalise on their involvement in the game, and Mitch is trying to grow that.

"Like 'Roughy', Mitch is definitely a required player, and I and other coaches talk to him weekly around what his focus areas are to get back in the team.

"I've got no doubt he will get back into the team."

Dale Morris will play his first senior game of the season against Melbourne on Saturday at Etihad Stadium, with the 35-year-old playing two games in the VFL in his return from a pre-season knee injury.

Beveridge hopes the highly-respected veteran's presence will inspire his young side ahead of a clash with arguably the AFL's hottest team.

"Our inconsistency around the real combative side of the game has left us a little bit vulnerable in different games, so he'll definitely pep up the boys in that regard," he said.

"It's just important that everyone not only feeds off it, but brings their own form of attack on the footy and opposition."

Beveridge said versatile defender Zaine Cordy failed a fitness test on a concussion he received in the loss to the Magpies, while impressive draftee Aaron Naughton will have another week off with an injury sustained in round eight.

Marcus Adams' horror run with injury has continued, with the hulking key defender sidelined with a corked thigh received in his second VFL game back from a pre-season ankle injury.

Every time the word "hulking" is appended to an article about Marcus Adams ... DRINK!

Might be time the scribes replaced it with the word 'brittle'.

---

Re: Wally, this piece riled me.

It's inexplicable that a side that's been embarrassingly non-competitive in games can't find room for a bloke who, if nothing else, always provides a contest, and has shown an ability to work to adapt his game in the past for the betterment of the team.

Sure we'd like more "qualitative sheen" from our one-dimensional mid group and of course it's incumbent upon players to work on adding more strings to their bow, but publicly pointing the finger at Wallis to remedy what's as much a recruiting issue as a performance one - oh and while you're at it Wally can you do something about our inability to score too please? - is nuts and seems another case of sacrificing a player's strengths on the altar of 'versatility'.

With Libba unavailable, that Wallis isn't a fixture in this team at the moment confounds me. Particularly with some of the flaky efforts from some that continue to evade punishment.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

16. Likes G-Mo77, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    I can't fathom why Wallis is not playing. I also can't fathom how Bevo can say he needs to add sheen and impact the scoreboard when Bont aside, none of the other mid's do. Wallis is a solid inside mid. He will get his hands on the ball 20 to 30 times and distribute effectively in the 70-75% range. He tackles well; he is a decent mark; he is a decent set shot for goal. As a footballer he is a decent footballer - not fantastic; but not ordinary. He would walk into all the teams below us and probably half the teams above us and ALL would play him as an inside mid - feeding Bont, McLean, Macrae, Suckers, Hunter etc.

I accept that a fully fit Libba would mean he needs to find another string to his bow, but its been 2 years since LIbba was fit and he's not likely to come back fully firing next year. If Bevo wants Wally Jnr to add sheen, he's going to have paint him with some Dulux High Gloss paint, because that type of footballer just doesn't shine!
    I'm totally with you. Wally is one of the hardest workers on the ground and never backs down in a contest. He's the type of player that young players look up to for work ethic. I've always thought that one day Mitch would even end up being captain but for some reason he has never even in the leadership group. Has he ever been in the leadership group? For me Mitch should be a lock in our 22 right now especially how we are travelling at the minute. His form has been OK in a struggling Western Bulldogs team this year, but from where I see it he is hardly the reason we aren't at the top of our game right now. If I were to point some fingers I'd start with the ones who are missing very very gettable set shots. Had we been more accurate in front of goals this season might not look as bleak as it does right now but that discussion is for a whole other thread altogether. It would seem that Mitch might be being slowly pushed towards the free agency door.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

While Wallis is hard working player with some noticeable limitations it's difficult for me to see why we cant find a spot for him. Sometimes players and coaches reach a point where they don't mesh anymore and maybe that is where Bevo and Wallis are at the moment.

There is still plenty of time to get it worked out but I'd imagine Wallis won't command much on the trade market so perhaps we are wanting him to take a decent pay cut.

It's interesting to read that he and Roughead are required players in this article and yet Mark Stevens think's Wallis is gone at the end of the season.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think us supporters know better than the MC
    A big capital NO!. Although some might disagree.

20. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If we lose Wallis over HC or RS because of Bevo's preferences then it's going to burn most of the goodwill I have left for this group.