Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  165
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Post-flag plummet was always possible

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Still says alot about the person with those views.
    Garbage. In your opinion maybe, but the comments made about Judd were mindless cliches that most adults would find childish and have nothing to do with his football commentary. Either way if you want to discuss far left political hero worship take it to another forum.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

2. Thanks bulldogsman thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Garbage. In your opinion maybe, but the comments made about Judd were mindless cliches that most adults would find childish and have nothing to do with his football commentary. Either way if you want to discuss far left political hero worship take it to another forum.
    Steady on.

What is childish is your comments.
    Last edited by bornadog; 05-06-2018 at 10:16 AM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Not sure it had a heap of steam. Footy Classified had about 40 seconds on it, Chris Judd shut down Caro pretty quickly by talking some sense about how it was reasonable for the club to expect that it was at least a possibility that this decline could occur. And then they moved on.
    Hoping to get the thread back on track...

The problem with the position we took is that it is now always there in the public domain, and the scribes can reference them as often as they want in the next few years. The momentum might drop off this week but it will be referenced continuously moving forward.

What we did this weekend was actually reinforce the external belief that we arsed a flag that otherwise wouldn't have been won without the week off, umpires, yada yada. The reality is that we were building for 2 years with outstanding form, and had we gotten over the line in the Talia-gate game we might well have made a similar run to a flag 12 months earlier - we were certainly in hot enough form in the 2nd half of 2015 to do so. And we were flag favourites in the 1st half of 2016 until injuries crippled us in the back half of the season, where we were still good enough to recover and reload for the greatest finals campaign any team has ever achieved. We win 19 games in a season and our own leaders, without prompting, offer the explanation that we supposedly arsed a flag with some 4 week Bradbury-esque week run - lol

And through our own words we have sullied what was a magnificent achievement. Really disappointed with Granty and also Bevo for his post-match comments on the weekend, and really disappointed with PG, our board and our communications dept for signing off on this convenient narrative (that our actions post 2016 completely contradict). One of the more spectacular own goals any club has kicked in a while, and to be honest it simply continues a trend of sub-par communications emanating from the club pretty much since the start of last season. We're just not firing on all cylinders with our messaging and communication externally, and it needs to be addressed IMO.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

6. Likes Funke disco, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Assuming anyone who doesn't like Trump is into "far left political hero worship" is as bad or worse.

Back to us - changing our backline and replacing with inexperienced players is perhaps the most obvious indicator of decline in any football team. Without that knowledge of where your teammates will run, when to peel off and assist, when to stick to your opponent, etc you are forced to play it a little 'safer' than you otherwise would.
    We're in the 2006-2007 Rocket phase where Eade played the defensive group together to forge that continuity.

Our F50 is suffering the same way - we don't have that instinctive knowledge of where each other player will run to and with our relative inexperience the decline was perhaps more 'inevitable' than it was 'possible'.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

8. Likes Remi Moses, hujsh, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Assuming anyone who doesn't like Trump is into "far left political hero worship" is as bad or worse.
    I was referring to calling Judd a "goon" and "alt-right" because he didn't adequately hate the people he apparently is supposed to, and then someone agreeing that alone is basis enough to dislike him is exactly that. Either way it has no place on this forum.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

10. Thanks bulldogsman thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was referring to calling Judd a "goon" and "alt-right" because he didn't adequately hate the people he apparently is supposed to, and then someone agreeing that alone is basis enough to dislike him is exactly that. Either way it has no place on this forum.
    Because the guy spouting off about SJW's and how "both sides are as toxic as each other" is clearly above mindless cliches.

Anyway message noted, I'll stick2sports unless it suits you from now on.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

12. Likes Mofra, bornadog, Remi Moses, hujsh, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One (maybe) last point on topic. If the line given to Turtle was true, then he honestly believed during last trade weeks he would've been handing over to Carlton pick 23 this year in a very strong draft. I agreed at the time with decision to throw in the second rounder thinking that Rhylee would be well under say pick 32+ after compo we would slot into after a bounce up the ladder. We'd just then need to find some draft points elsewhere to supplement what Freo gave us back (4th in 2018).

But if we honestly believed we were handing over 2018 pick 23, that changes to complexion of his trade involvement late in trade weeks last year. It's hyper irresponsible to hand over a prized top 25 pick in a refresh/rebuild of our own list or put us in such a bad draft points position that we are going to have to move on Dahl or Wallis types hoping to get something back to cover Rhylee & Buku and maybe another one or two NGAs. I can only guess with some logic that we were not at all in fact considering giving Carlton pick 23, but a predicted pick passed 30. Which makes complete sense of what happened. But that sense of what happened is contrary to the line from the club, through Turtle. If that player at pick 23 turns out to be like who we pick traded with Carlton for last time, I think some are going to completely lose their shit.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

14. Likes Sedat, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I must be a green lefty trump hater as well .
    Lot of us

16. Likes Mofra, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    I must be a green lefty trump hater as well .
    Lot of us
    Me too

18. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Me too
    Trump and conservative politics aren't exactly the same thing. Judd has his right to opinion like we all do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Me too
    Lot of rampant lefties in his own party !
    I’ll leave it there

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Trump and conservative politics aren't exactly the same thing. Judd has his right to opinion like we all do.
    Judd was the only one on the panel with sense of perspective. Lloyd was spitting out what he’d “ been told”

Post Thanks / Like

Save it for your next young Greens protest. This is a football forum.
    Yep football gets us away from the politics.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Lets reel it in thanks and get to the thread topic. Thanks
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

24. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On topic - no one believes the bullsh*t that Turtle has sprouted. Nothing we did post the flag suggested we weren't gearing up for a repeat and a defense of the flag and to be honest a "dynasty". Comparisons to the Hawks were plenty. Pundits marvelled at our amazing recruiting and player development - Macca and Dalrymple could do no wrong. Our kids were amazing and there were expectations that they would mature and become better players. We recruited a KPF to top up and expected Suckers, Jong, Redders, Murphy and Wally to compliment our Premiership winning 22.

Fast forward 21 months and we are saying that this was expected? Something went wrong. probably a number of things. From players stagnating to others disappearing with recurring injuries that don't seem to heal. To a game plan that looks like something out of the 1950's to a team that went from an unsurpassed intensity to one that can barely focus on the game for more than a quarter.

Things don't just happen. Decisions and choices are made that lead to what we are seeing today. I'll freely admit I gave us a free pass last year. 2016 was that good. I'm not so generous with 2018, mainly because it kills me to see guys like the Bont, Boyd, Dahl etc not get close to their potential.

26. Thanks GVGjr, bulldogtragic, Topdog thanked for this post
    Likes G-Mo77, Mofra liked this post