Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  165
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Post-flag plummet was always possible

What Bob says is pretty much what I think too. Lots of people didn't want to stop celebrating and focus on football by the time the 2017 season rolled around.

But has the hangover got anything to do with what's going wrong this season? It's crap skills, bad goal kicking and bizarro coaching tactics before we get to an 18 month old hangover as the current problems surely?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    What Bob says is pretty much what I think too. Lots of people didn't want to stop celebrating by the time the 2017 season rolled around.

But has the hangover got anything to do with what's going wrong this season? It's crap skills, bad goal kicking and bizarro coaching tactics before we get to an 18 month old hangover as the current problems surely?
    This season is all about lack of experienced players in the side. No team, and I mean no team can keep winning games with average of 66 games per player.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    This season is all about lack of experienced players in the side. No team, and I mean no team can keep winning games with average of 66 games per player.

That's a convenient out that I am getting sick of hearing. It's not the younger players who are letting us down. It's the lack of preperation or effort at times from senior players. If Dalhaus, Hunter and a few more senior players approached the game with the same professionalism as first year players like Richards, Naughton and Gowers we would have a few more in the win column.

4. Likes bulldogtragic, Eastdog, josie, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Granted there are some cold, hard practicalities that're knobbling our season, of the like any club would struggle to manage, but you could posit a lot of those 'structural' issues are the corollary of the sort of poor internal planning and execution that are emblematic of a 'shit' club.

It's one thing to hear it from the likes of John Elliot, Gaddy Lyon and Arseface Barrett, but gives renewed pause for thought when it comes from one of your beloved. We've long been accused of having a cosy culture. Murph's all but confirming it.

The Stringer exit is looking more like the first bristle on a big arse broom that's about to make its way through the club. Maybe. If certain powers that be are fair dinkum.

Who knows though, apparently we were expecting to fall off a cliff after (now officially) arsing a flag so just calm your farm everyone.

Good times.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

6. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bob's got it wrong and it paints a picture that many people in today's society can't handle success and they come across as emotionally fragile. I get that Bob is more socially aware of the pressure and vulnerabilities young people face today than I am but in very simple terms I find his view on this a load of poppycock.

If players and officials have checked out emotionally and are asking themselves "whats next" as Bob is indicating then they need to find that spark elsewhere. Bob's views fly in the face of players leaving struggling clubs for success elsewhere. I think the vast majority are made of sterner stuff than Bob is indicating but if he is right then we need to weed out those who have climbed their Everest.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

8. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh look, it's the same conversation about culture the shit-trucks are Princes Park are having.

Ex-Blue's 'culture' dig gets up Curnow's nose

We're in good company.

The club wants people to stop comparing us now to us in 2016 but can you imagine ... just IMAGINE ... the daggers pointing at us now if we HADN'T pick-pocketed that flag.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Don't you hate it when you're in the middle of a rebuild and you're forced to win a premiership?

Just stuffs everything and everyone up.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

11. Likes Rocket Science, Twodogs, josie, G-Mo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    That's a convenient out that I am getting sick of hearing. It's not the younger players who are letting us down. It's the lack of preperation or effort at times from senior players. If Dalhaus, Hunter and a few more senior players approached the game with the same professionalism as first year players like Richards, Naughton and Gowers we would have a few more in the win column.
    I tend agree Twodogs with you on this. The younger players certainly are not letting us down this season.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

So in short we were striving to get near the top but never to the top, and having misjudged it in 2016 and accidently won, we want to make sure we don't find ourselves in that situation again unless we can't avoid it.

You couldn't sum up 63 of our past 64 years more perfectly.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

14. Likes GVGjr, Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

63 and a half.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post

The Stringer exit is looking more like the first bristle on a big arse broom that's about to make its way through the club. Maybe. If certain powers that be are fair dinkum.
    I am hearing that exact thing. Stringer isn't the end of the player exits...and the more I hear the more I think some of the other trades 'rumoured' by the likes of Barrett are 100% on the money and MAYBE that's why we (the club) have been so 'angry' about it all (media commentary)...because the comments are pretty much based in fact and it means the 'inner sanctum' is leaking like a sieve.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

17. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I am hearing that exact thing. Stringer isn't the end of the player exits...and the more I hear the more I think some of the other trades 'rumoured' by the likes of Barrett are 100% on the money and MAYBE that's why we (the club) have been so 'angry' about it all (media commentary)...because the comments are pretty much based in fact and it means the 'inner sanctum' is leaking like a sieve.
    I refuse to read or listen to Barrett. Who is he saying we are looking at exiting?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I refuse to read or listen to Barrett. Who is he saying we are looking at exiting?
    At about round 3 or 4 he said Dahlhaus was up for trade last trade period and that a number of player cliques within the club were not talking to each other and infighting.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

20. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What a shambles.

You couldn't implode more if you tried.

Poor by Murphy IMO, it just reflects the fact that our club and its senior management (ie. Coaching group, leadership, Football ops) are embedded with a culture of underachieving, and the moment we actually succeed, we find a way to fail shortly after.

This is a far bigger problem than just underachieving players IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

My biggest concern is we haven’t heard boo from Peter Gordon. Normally he’d be on the front foot with this stuff.

However I am a hypocrite wanting action from Peter as I am one for letting the CEO and Co do their job.

Huge test for Amet Baines.
    More of an In Bruges guy?