Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  165
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Post-flag plummet was always possible

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Bevo was very dirty that our game plan was leaked to Adelaide in 2015 because had we won that game we were right in contention that year as well as 2016 so I think he got it a bit wrong. We should have been contenders last year and this year as well. That would have been 4 years as genuine contenders which was how good our list was.
    Bevo's comments were at the start of 2015 when he looked at a very young team on paper. Once we started winning in 2015, he was pretty happy with the team and thought we could go all the way.

First Grant and now Murphy have essentially indicated we have fluked it in 2016.
    I don't believe anyone at the club thinks we FLUKED it - if they do then they have the wrong attitude. I for one did not read that in Grant's or Bob's articles. We were one of the youngest teams to win a Grand Final, so in a way it was unexpected to a certain extent.

About 2016 people keep talking about an amazing 4 weeks in the finals - which it was, but never about the 7 games we lost. Of those 7 games we were only soundly beaten in one match (Geelong at Etihad). In the other 6 we were more than competitive losing several by around a goal but none more than 3 or 4.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I don't believe anyone at the club thinks we FLUKED it - if they do then they have the wrong attitude. I for one did not read that in Grant's or Bob's articles. We were one of the youngest teams to win a Grand Final, so in a way it was unexpected to a certain extent.

About 2016 people keep talking about an amazing 4 weeks in the finals - which it was, but never about the 7 games we lost. Of those 7 games we were only soundly beaten in one match (Geelong at Etihad). In the other 6 we were more than competitive losing several by around a goal but none more than 3 or 4.
    If we weren't ready for it how did we win it? Was it Stephen Bradbury style?
    We were an almost excellent team in 2015 and 2016. To diminish the results as a way of explaining where we are now isn't right
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

3. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We were an almost excellent team in 2015 and 2016. To diminish the results as a way of explaining where we are now isn't right
    Who said we weren't ready for it?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Who said we weren't ready for it?
    Bob and Granty, even Bevo. Which is total horse shit of course.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Bob and Granty, even Bevo. Which is total horse shit of course.
    I don't believe that is what they said. You need to re-read

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder what Sydney are thinking watching all this?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I wonder what Sydney are thinking watching all this?
    They're to busy complaining about free kicks.

9. Likes Twodogs, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That might be your interpretation of Murphy's comments, it certainly isn't mine.

To me Bob is saying we haven't handled the post GF success well and he's 100% correct, we clearly haven't.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

11. Likes chef, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    That might be your interpretation of Murphy's comments, it certainly isn't mine.

To me Bob is saying we haven't handled the post GF success well and he's 100% correct, we clearly haven't.
    This^^^

and Grant was saying a similar thing.

We are a young team and when experienced players go down, we don't have experience to come back in.

As for players playing up off field, and being silly - well hasn't this happened for ever in any sport

13. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's right, but it's also a really poor excuse.

How long was it before Sydney broke the drought? Now a regular feature in finals.

How long was it before Geelong broke the drought? Also now a regular feature in finals.

Instead of dwelling in this, "Poor us, we're not used to winning, we didn't know (and still don't) know what to do with ourselves" rubbish narrative, everyone should be sat down and have a good hard look at how the hell the club is operating. Review Sydney. Review Geelong. What have they done that is so dramatically different?

AND STOP WITH THE F**KING EXCUSES. If things need to change, change it. If people need to be brought down a peg or two, so be it. No passengers.
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

15. Thanks bulldogtragic, G-Mo77 thanked for this post
    Likes Twodogs, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Amen Sister. Amen.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daughter of the West View Post

How long was it before Sydney broke the drought? Now a regular feature in finals.

How long was it before Geelong broke the drought? Also now a regular feature in finals.

Instead of dwelling in this, "Poor us, we're not used to winning, we didn't know (and still don't) know what to do with ourselves" rubbish narrative, everyone should be sat down and have a good hard look at how the hell the club is operating. Review Sydney. Review Geelong. What have they done that is so dramatically different?

AND STOP WITH THE F**KING EXCUSES. If things need to change, change it. If people need to be brought down a peg or two, so be it. No passengers.
    Yep, I hate excuses.

Post Thanks / Like

Every rational Bulldogs supporter would be in agreement with this. But that is light years away from the Bob/Granty/Bevo comments, which are in effect denigrading our premiership success by stating we weren't ready to win it (wrong, we won it), it was something of a lucky win (also wrong, 19 wins in a season following an excellent previous season) and the big fall since was all part of the master plan (completely wrong, their actions on list management post GF are there for all to see).

For mine, they would rather talk down the wonderful achievement of the premiership than admit to the many mistakes they have made since. And to me that is appalling communication and very disrespectful to the footy club and its supporters.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

19. Likes The Bulldogs Bite, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daughter of the West View Post

Sydney made a Grand Final or two before they actually did break the drought and had a decade or so of changing the culture prior to the breakthough.
    Ditto Geelong.

We had two attempts to changing the culture as far as I can tell in the 90s and 2000s - once under Terry Wallace, once under Rodney Eade. Both phases seemed to present a radical shift.

The hope is Bevo is laying the foundations for sustained success and right now we're about to have a broom sweep through all areas of the club (some has occurred already) given we know what we now know.

Given Bevo's pedigree and the club's experience post-2016 we're in a better place to do this than at any time in living memory. We Clearly have work to do in this space if the past 18 months have been any guide.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

21. Thanks Daughter of the West thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Part of me wonders if Bob would be talking down what an acheivment winning in 2016 was if he had of played in the premiership side himself.

Then again if all my teammates had won a flag and I'd missed out I'd be a little bit peeved that a large bunch of them decided to take the next year off to celebrate instead of doing everything they could to strike while the iron was hot.