Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  165
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Post-flag plummet was always possible

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Part of me wonders if Bob would be talking down what an achievement winning in 2016 was if he had of played in the premiership side himself.

Then again if all my teammates had won a flag and I'd missed out I'd be a little bit peeved that a large bunch of them decided to take the next year off to celebrate instead of doing everything they could to strike while the iron was hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Every rational Bulldogs supporter would be in agreement with this. But that is light years away from the Bob/Granty/Bevo comments, which are in effect denigrading our premiership success by stating we weren't ready to win it (wrong, we won it), it was something of a lucky win (also wrong, 19 wins in a season following an excellent previous season) and the big fall since was all part of the master plan (completely wrong, their actions on list management post GF are there for all to see).

For mine, they would rather talk down the wonderful achievement of the premiership than admit to the many mistakes they have made since. And to me that is appalling communication and very disrespectful to the footy club and its supporters.
    Can you point to me in the articles where they do this?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Bob and Granty, even Bevo. Which is total horse shit of course.
    We weren't ready for the aftermath. That's clear.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daughter of the West View Post
    He's right, but it's also a really poor excuse.

How long was it before Sydney broke the drought? Now a regular feature in finals.

How long was it before Geelong broke the drought? Also now a regular feature in finals.

Instead of dwelling in this, "Poor us, we're not used to winning, we didn't know (and still don't) know what to do with ourselves" rubbish narrative, everyone should be sat down and have a good hard look at how the hell the club is operating. Review Sydney. Review Geelong. What have they done that is so dramatically different?

AND STOP WITH THE F**KING EXCUSES. If things need to change, change it. If people need to be brought down a peg or two, so be it. No passengers.
    Great post. Tired of this bollocks. Be competitive.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Can you point to me in the articles where they do this?
    Honestly BAD, it's draining watching you nick-picking everything to the nth degree simply to tow the party line. The crux of Granty, Bevo and Bob's comments have been widely reported and are there for all to see. You're clearly absolutely delighted with our external communication. Some of us aren't.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly BAD, it's draining watching you nick-picking everything to the nth degree simply to tow the party line. The crux of Granty, Bevo and Bob's comments have been widely reported and are there for all to see. You're clearly absolutely delighted with our external communication. Some of us aren't.
    You obviously can't prove your point.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

You're arguing against a point BAD hasn't made.

Bob has discussed what has occurred after we won the flag. That in no way diminishes winning the damn thing in the first place.
    I do think we've struggled in 2017 and 2018, and that in no way means anyone is 'delighted with our external communication'.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    You're arguing against a point BAD hasn't made.

Bob has discussed what has occurred after we won the flag. That in no way diminishes winning the damn thing in the first place.
    I do think we've struggled in 2017 and 2018, and that in no way means anyone is 'delighted with our external communication'.
    Cheers Mofra, that is what I am arguing (obviously not very well)

Post Thanks / Like

Our head of football and our senior coach have both made assertions about how lucky and unexpected our flag was and that the subsequent drop-off was all part of some mystical plan, when their direct actions post-GF with regard to list management completely contradict this narrative (I'm not going to go over these again). Bob has also expressed a view about how massive the achievement was in comparison to other clubs and that we had nowhere else to go but down - again, the list management and footy dept decisions contradict this view as well.

Dale Morris on 'On the Mark' last night could not have been more definitive and impressive in refuting all of that. He said the club trained and prepared to their optimum after the flag and were absolutely ready for battle at the start of 2017, and that he is still very much of the mindset that another premiership is in his grasp. Zaine Cordy was also interviewed on radio completely refuting the supposed premiership hangover and lack of preparation in the 2016 off-season. So we have current players openly contradicting our constructed narrative. It's a communications mess IMO.

I'm going to sign off on this thread.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

9. Likes G-Mo77, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That might be your interpretation of Murphy's comments, it certainly isn't mine.

To me Bob is saying we haven't handled the post GF success well and he's 100% correct, we clearly haven't.
    I realise im late to the party but yes that is how I read it and why I was surprised Gary didnt agree.

11. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I realise im late to the party but yes that is how I read it and why I was surprised Gary didnt agree.
    As I stated previously it his reasons for why we failed to live up to expectation and most importantly our ability that I disagree with
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I was watching an interview with Draymond Green yesterday. He's obviously got three championship rings. He said of the first one, (something like) it's the world against us, against me, and we have to attack and be aggressive every second to beat them all. Then, (something like) backing it up is by far the hardest. You want to defend your championship, and defend against the every other team wanting to bring you down. So you defend, and you can forget to attack and be aggressive as a team. So not do the things that won the championship. So you re focus, do the things that made you successful like aggression and attack, and with the talent that's there you can win a second and third.

I found it really interesting just at face value. Then I was thinking about this thread, leaving our internal matters internal and giving something to our members and fans that's more palatable. Imagine if the first comments we made were like paraphrasing Draymond's above, in that we found ourselves just defending the flag and the other 17 teams and in the heat of battle of defending, we just didn't attack enough and weren't aggressive enough. It's a common occurrence in sport, especially for a young team. See Hawthorn in 2008. But we have learned from it, we have addressed it in the draft and trade period last year, and although there's been a drop off this year, we've got games into a lot of kids, who are hungry to join the likes of Bonts & Macrae in lifting the next premiership cup.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

14. Likes Topdog, Smads57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I was watching an interview with Draymond Green yesterday. He's obviously got three championship rings. He said of the first one, (something like) it's the world against us, against me, and we have to attack and be aggressive every second to beat them all. Then, (something like) backing it up is by far the hardest. You want to defend your championship, and defend against the every other team wanting to bring you down. So you defend, and you can forget to attack and be aggressive as a team. So not do the things that won the championship. So you re focus, do the things that made you successful like aggression and attack, and with the talent that's there you can win a second and third.

I found it really interesting just at face value. Then I was thinking about this thread, leaving our internal matters internal and giving something to our members and fans that's more palatable. Imagine if the first comments we made were like paraphrasing Draymond's above, in that we found ourselves just defending the flag and the other 17 teams and in the heat of battle of defending, we just didn't attack enough and weren't aggressive enough. It's a common occurrence in sport, especially for a young team. See Hawthorn in 2008. But we have learned from it, we have addressed it in the draft and trade period last year, and although there's been a drop off this year, we've got games into a lot of kids, who are hungry to join the likes of Bonts & Macrae in lifting the next premiership cup.
    Obviously. Yeah, of course he has. All three.

What sport?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    obviously. Yeah, of course he has. All three.

What sport?
    nba.

If this was our response, I doubt this thread would exist.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

17. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

nba.

If this was our response, I doubt this thread would exist.
    A sport I really grew to like over the last season.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

I mean, he has the benefit of playing with 2 of the top 10 players of all time in a sport where only 5 guys matter, but sure.

Not sure this holds BT.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -