Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Fugazi.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Fugazi.

I was watching the news last night when some Melbourne footy club pixie comes on saying that all the media talk about them is all "Fugazi" meaning the Italian for noise.

There was a band back in the '80s called Fugazi. I saw them at Melbourne Uni around that time. But Fugazi doesn't mean noise. It doesn't mean noise in Italian. The only Italian that comes close is a two word conjunction (fu + cazzo) meaning "we are/ something was completly shit" if Melbourne want to go around telling people that they are completely shit then that's up to them.

There is also a similar sounding Italian slang word that means something like we got ambushed and *!*!*!*!ed up so if Melbourne want to go around telling people that then that's fine too!
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

2. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fugazi.

I was at that gig too TD. I can still remember it clearly, there were people walking around in the crowd bleeding profusely. Most intense mosh pit I've ever experienced.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    I was at that gig too TD. I can still remember it clearly, there were people walking around in the crowd bleeding profusely. Most intense mosh pit I've ever experienced.
    It was wild. I once saw Rollins go off tap at an audience member who'd dared to jump on (his, not the) stage. At one point Hank was laying in with his doc martins and then ever so gently punted the punter back into the crowd. His mates walked him past me to get him out of the venue and he was pretty much non compus. To be fair before the gig Rollins had made it very clear that the pit was ours but the stage was his and anyone who transgessed would get a kicking.

Post Thanks / Like

FUGAZI are awesome!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    FUGAZI are awesome!

They were alright. They were no Black Flag

Post Thanks / Like

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking this.

Something tells me Goodwin isn't a rock dog though.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Or were they pulling the reference from Wolf of Wall Street? That reference seems more likely.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    They were alright. They were no Black Flag
    LOL. Fine, Sure...but the opening riff of 'Waiting Room' is still the greatest.

Black Flag were (to me anyway) more about attitude than music and my memory of them (pretty much don't listen to them much anymore) is all hidden behind the 'cult of personality' persona Henry Rollins now represents.

Fugazi and Black Flag were two of the bands who basically killed off a movement as well by insisting that anyone who ever made a single dollar was a 'sell out'...maybe so, but when you are 30-years old and 10-years into a career but still can't afford bus fair, well...is it any wonder that so many of their contemporaries had one and done type careers?

Then again, it might have been the drugs!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    LOL. Fine, Sure...but the opening riff of 'Waiting Room' is still the greatest.

Black Flag were (to me anyway) more about attitude than music and my memory of them (pretty much don't listen to them much anymore) is all hidden behind the 'cult of personality' persona Henry Rollins now represents.

Fugazi and Black Flag were two of the bands who basically killed off a movement as well by insisting that anyone who ever made a single dollar was a 'sell out'...maybe so, but when you are 30-years old and 10-years into a career but still can't afford bus fair, well...is it any wonder that so many of their contemporaries had one and done type careers?

Then again, it might have been the drugs!

It was definitely the drugs.

Post Thanks / Like

azabob is on the money

It's fugazi as Melbourne adopts Wolf of Wall Street mantra

Melbourne have adopted the word 'fugazi' from the Hollywood blockbuster The Wolf of Wall Street to help them deal with the hype beginning to build around their emerging group.

An upbeat Simon Goodwin even impersonated actor Matthew McConaughey's use of the word in the film as he revealed the expression in a light-hearted manner at the end of Friday's media conference.

"Fugazi. It's a whazy. It's a woozie..."Goodwin said.

Earlier he had explained how the club had adopted the word internally in a fun way to keep everyone's feet on the ground.

"There is a lot of noise out there and I think it is great for our supporters what they are starting to see but internally it's fugazi, which means it's noise," Goodwin said.

12. Thanks azabob thanked for this post